Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246965 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11160 on: January 08, 2016, 12:17:30 am »

oh my god i'm stupid

i read a bit, went "ew politics" then immediately realized "WHY AM I POSTING IN THIS THREAD"

god, now i'm disappointed in myself for only thinking that when reading the above post and not the ones before, i probably should've bailed out right when I saw kotakuinaction mentioned

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: January 08, 2016, 12:34:27 am »

see that's what i mean, all i've done is insult religion in the last page and you immediately assume i'm some sort of dirty ess jay dubya for complaining about politics

when i mentioned KiA, I meant that anyone who would bring up an association with KiA is also gonna cause problems due to political stuff and i should've recognized that as a warning sign, but didn't until I saw the most obvious strawman known to man

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: January 08, 2016, 12:37:55 am »

So, while we're on the subject of women's rights, how about we actually start defending them in our countries?

I've been particularly feminist in the past week, and am very interested in hearing the stories about how we, in the western world, have stood up for our women compared to these people who are obviously from a very barbaric region of the world. This is especially important in the coming months as the war against women's rights in America is picking up fast, so please, enlightened people, tell me how you've been highlighting the plights.

Morrigi, how have you helped the feminist cause recently? I haven't seen too many links from you about it recently, but surely as someone frequenting the feminist bastion that is /r/KotakuInAction, you will be a paragon of the fight for women's inclusion in gaming.

I, personally, have managed to block a ton of attack videos by skull-wielding men on Youtube recently. That's a personal victory for me right there.

I can't tell if this is bait, or just regular bitterness. I'm kinda surprised gamergate is still a thing though. Reading through that subreddit is going to be fun.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: January 08, 2016, 12:39:37 am »

oh, KiA's hard to describe. They... legitimately think they're in a war with SJWs, I think? I saw mention of "winning" last I saw it. There was also some stuff recently where they complained TumblrInAction was too SJW. That... may say something.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: January 08, 2016, 12:43:27 am »

I can't tell if this is bait, or just regular bitterness. I'm kinda surprised gamergate is still a thing though. Reading through that subreddit is going to be fun.
It's mostly that you'll find these people crawling out of rocks to defending women's rights when and only when it's the people who they hate who are the ones even remotely accused of being the ones to blame. It's so strangely convenient.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: January 08, 2016, 12:44:47 am »

Gamergate is completely stupid all around. It's a dichotomy between two completely unrelated things that somehow people took sides on. The single best example of how stupid politics is that I've ever seen.

I'm still not sure which side is "gamergate".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: January 08, 2016, 12:45:46 am »

the side that thinks it mattered
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: January 08, 2016, 12:46:06 am »

that didn't answer anything  :'(

I seriously stayed away as quickly as I could because I immediately saw that it was two whole groups of people talking right past each other about unrelated shit that had names associated with them, tribalism at its most stupid. I don't remember what it was about except for the "ethics in games journalism" meme.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:49:22 am by Putnam »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: January 08, 2016, 12:48:25 am »

It was something about a woman sleeping with a journalist to get her indie game a good review, I think. You wouldn't know that by looking at that subreddit though. I feel like I'm missing something here.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: January 08, 2016, 12:49:53 am »

Wait, I think that "the side that thinks it mattered" suggests that it's the people still railing on about it, which I think is the side whose views are mostly defined by, like, the idea that changing your behavior even in the slightest to appease anyone else for any reason is a violation of basic inviolable human rights or something along those lines (Rand?).

On the other hand, my only exposure to those people are the kind of people who will post or complain outside of their safe space1, who tend to be very weird and vocal.

1oh god now i definitely remember meeting one, they talk about that kind of thing all the time, it's hilarious how easily they get triggered when they go outside their safe spaces when they spend all their time telling people to go back to their safe spaces if they're triggered
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:52:12 am by Putnam »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: January 08, 2016, 12:50:52 am »

It's mostly that you'll find these people crawling out of rocks to defending women's rights when and only when it's the people who they hate who are the ones even remotely accused of being the ones to blame. It's so strangely convenient.

It also allows them to express their Not Racist Honestly hatred of immigrants, so it's kind of a two birds with one stone thing.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11171 on: January 08, 2016, 12:52:42 am »

It was something about a woman sleeping with a journalist to get her indie game a good review, I think. You wouldn't know that by looking at that subreddit though. I feel like I'm missing something here.
Yes. That's how it started. The /entirely false/ allegation to begin with that was quickly shoved under the rug, but is still the primary image that comes to mind when the issue comes up to people who didn't follow it. The woman who continues to be harassed to this day as it happens. Strange, that.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: January 08, 2016, 12:53:14 am »

that didn't answer anything  :'(
then you understand as well as i do

seriously, i don't really understand what the hell happened, i just know what lots of people of various positions say happened but don't understand why there was a controversy, why anybody cared, why i should care, or just generally why i shouldn't accept that the important thing is that i've found a way to feel smugly superior to both sides, however vaguely defined those happen to be

i have not had a single conversation about it that didn't feel like talking to a conspiracy theorist - the implicit assumption that i know all the facts, the belief that i must have a side and apathy is a sign of malice, the all-consuming importance placed on buzzwords, the need to bundle up the few things that seem worth caring about with a bunch of overarching ideals that don't seem relevant

i'm not trying to be helpful, i'm just joining your lament, i think

EDIT: if you look back at my post history, i'm pretty sure i had picked a tribe and joined in, but at some point i realized that nobody was talking about the stuff that seemed worth talking about and instead wanted a culture war, and fuck that noise
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:56:53 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: January 08, 2016, 12:57:58 am »

Well that all sounds absolutely poisonous.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: January 08, 2016, 01:00:15 am »

Politics is poison. If you're a republican, you have to support gun rights and oppose abortion, even though the two are unrelated. Similarly, if you're democrat, you have to fight global warming and GMO crops, though the latter actually helps solve the former. It's all very dumb.
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 759