Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Save the DM!  (Read 17569 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Save the DM!
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2012, 08:55:34 pm »

so... guards would focus more on dodging/observing essentially being better alarm systems. and war would focus on biting/clawing, making them better attack animals.

although it DOES make more sense to just keep those together... don't want to add too many ways to do the same thing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2012, 09:36:32 pm »

DMs might just train war animals and hunting animals better.  I mean, they basically just get bonuses, so you could simply add a few extra percent to the bonus.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2012, 09:57:03 pm »

I was thinking guard animals are trained to guard an area (and make noise, sure), while war animals are fully aggressive and go all out when directed at a target (the way they do now).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2012, 09:59:12 pm »

I was thinking guard animals are trained to guard an area (and make noise, sure), while war animals are fully aggressive and go all out when directed at a target (the way they do now).

You mean, like teach them a patrol?  Or just that you pasture them in one spot :P
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2012, 11:41:28 pm »

You mean, like teach them a patrol?  Or just that you pasture them in one spot :P

Being able to teach dogs to patrol certain areas WOULD be handy...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2012, 12:05:59 am »

My mind is elsewhere at the moment – I'll have to look up stuff about guard dog training – but you can't normally "pasture" dogs like you can now in DF, you have to train them for stuff like that. I am thinking that a guard dog would chase intruders a certain distance and then return home or to its trainer.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2012, 01:10:46 am »

see now your contributing, stating ideas that only you know the parameters of is a little confusing  :P

but that would be nice for actually killing thieves, would make kobolds a little more considerate about ambushing.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2012, 10:27:26 pm »

Yeah i've always seen using meeting areas and now pastures as a bit exploity when used to herd animals around. Fair enough pasturing your animals and leaving them there semi permenantly, but it's just wrong to assign them all to a different safer pasture when a siege arrives and have them all swarm there efficiently and without any handler taking them there. Didn't past versions require a dorf to actually lead animals bodily to pits they were assigned to? Pastures need to be like this, i'm sure it's allready on the bug tracker or something.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2012, 06:29:08 pm »

Yeah i've always seen using meeting areas and now pastures as a bit exploity when used to herd animals around. Fair enough pasturing your animals and leaving them there semi permenantly, but it's just wrong to assign them all to a different safer pasture when a siege arrives and have them all swarm there efficiently and without any handler taking them there. Didn't past versions require a dorf to actually lead animals bodily to pits they were assigned to? Pastures need to be like this, i'm sure it's allready on the bug tracker or something.

... umm, a dwarf DOES have to lead them there...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2012, 07:30:47 pm »

I swear i've seen them wander over by themself, my testing isn't showing that however, BUT i can't seem to turn off Pen/pasture/ large animal. It's not Animal hauling or Animal Care as this is disabled on everydorf but they're still being lead.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2012, 07:50:30 pm »

I swear i've seen them wander over by themself, my testing isn't showing that however, BUT i can't seem to turn off Pen/pasture/ large animal. It's not Animal hauling or Animal Care as this is disabled on everydorf but they're still being lead.

They pasture themselves after the first time they are led to a pasture, but it takes one initial pasturing to get them there.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »

Kewl, it would be more realistic but unnecessary if there was some hidden repasture value that determined how well they repastured themself/how long they stay there, weither the wander from it/how far, how long etc, which could be effected by training level/time spent in a pasture, and even domesticated animals should need to work on it a bit to learn where their home is. But like i said it's probably just an unnecessary complication the game doesnt really need.
As an example my chicken usually hangs out in one place but when i put her into a coop every night for about a week she learns that that's where she should go and puts herself there every night (for about a week then she starts going somewhere else again anyway).
Heh.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]