Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Supersonic wagon  (Read 5869 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Supersonic wagon
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:12:35 pm »

I just had a human caravan arrive on my map.  One of the wagons made it from the edge of the map into the trade depot in about 0.5 seconds.  It scared the crap out of me when I saw it zoom up coz I wasn't sure what the hell that thing whooshing across my screen was.  (Maybe some horrible new easter egg from Toady come to dissolve my fortress with vile spew.)  I also had a diplomat arrive.  I'm not sure how or why just the one wagon decided to move so fast.  I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if this is a one-time thing or something that will be happening with all caravans for some reason.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Supersonic wagon
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:17:54 pm »

Indeed, the supersonic wagon is the placeholder for multi-tiled vehicles Toady intends to implement in the future.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:18:53 pm »

I think wagons have a random speed? maybe...

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »

Clearly, the traders were being chased by a Bronze Colossus, and that one wagon was punched crazy hard. However, he had to turn back once they made it because your fort isn't worth enough yet.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:38:49 pm »

What kind of animals were pulling the wagon? :P
Indeed, the supersonic wagon is the placeholder for multi-tiled vehicles Toady intends to implement in the future.
Wut? I get regular 3x3 wooden wagons crawling across my map.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:48:50 pm »

This bug still exists? I am surprised. It was known to happen sometimes way back in 40d, but I don't believe the cause was ever identified. If you wait a bit, you'll probably notice a second wagon going crazy-slow, too. It's like one wagon steals speed from another in the same caravans, so one goes fast and another goes slow. The slow one can be problematic if the trade depot is too far from the map edge, as the traders won't trade until every wagon is unloaded and slow wagons sometimes can't actually get to the depot before the caravan wants to leave.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:58:15 pm »

I have seen it also in 34.05 34.xx.  The first time I saw a wagon zip into my depot I thought it must have been thrown there by my drawbridge, so I dumped the game and reloaded from the previous save which was right after that caravan had arrived on the map.  When I took it off pause, ZOOM, the wagon did it again.  This time I watched closely and knew that it had not been hit by the bridge.  Weird.

Edit: I think the above actually happened in 34.04, although I have seen fast wagons in 34.05.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:01:13 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:10:05 pm »

oh this must have happened to me also. cant remember which version though, some of the early 34.?? updates.

I got the message that "caravan from yadda-yaddatopia has arrived" and second or so, later "merchants are now unloading their goods" I was all like "... the heck??" and rest of the wagons where half way to my depot only.

I wonder if we need a new proffession on next version, Police, to stop all these speeders. Could provide you nice sum of cash if speeders are caught.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:42:52 pm »

Dwarves wouldn't punish them for speeding.  They'd hire them as the new militia commander.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 06:59:57 pm »

I remember this in good ol' 40D.

Wagon traveling faster than a Perfectly Agile Dwarf.  Then the other wagon took like 3 months to catch up.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:03:58 pm »

Perhaps the Wagon is a Vampire.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:07:54 pm »

Perhaps the Wagon is a Vampire.

its horribly scary that i find this possible...

also unrelated note: in the 31.xx versions i was able to fulfill mandates for wagon wood items after applying the sdl fix.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:55:50 pm »

I thought this was caused by a wagon carrying so much weight that it caused an overflow error or something.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »

This bug still exists? I am surprised. It was known to happen sometimes way back in 40d, but I don't believe the cause was ever identified. If you wait a bit, you'll probably notice a second wagon going crazy-slow, too. It's like one wagon steals speed from another in the same caravans, so one goes fast and another goes slow. The slow one can be problematic if the trade depot is too far from the map edge, as the traders won't trade until every wagon is unloaded and slow wagons sometimes can't actually get to the depot before the caravan wants to leave.

I just saw this exact scenario in my .34.04 game. I thought the wagon speed was related to the "carrying too much shit" thing, but I guess not.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 07:59:47 pm »

"Super Wagonly Agile."
Pages: [1] 2