Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 782926 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #720 on: April 13, 2013, 12:52:26 pm »

Well if reverting to an old save to continue works, then id say do it. Atomic chicken and pie could potentially be allowed to replay their turns again in the recent future, no?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 13, 2013, 01:00:14 pm »

...In pulling the sword from the stone, not only were the minions of hell released, but time itself was severed in twain.  From that point forward, two divergent histories grew from the single trunk of the former.  Only the march of time would see which one would shrivel and which would thrive...

If you do have to set the turns back, the buggy branch could just become an "alternate timeline".  A side benefit would be that your long list of players would be able to get to their turns twice as fast.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 13, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »

Ohgod. I approve of this. It's like fuckin' Legend of Zelda shit up in here.

I kinda wanna play the Buggy Branch, though, just to explore Deathtrap. :>
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 13, 2013, 02:19:36 pm »

I'd like to postpone my turn to see if this can be resolved.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 13, 2013, 03:21:23 pm »

Well, this will be a fun story to read, although Deathtraps isn't really all too impressive.
Important:Please use a character with a very low observation level if you're going to explore Deathtraps; I think I made a mistake when designing a crucial part of the fortress that will probably prevent you from advancing (ie. a pressure plate in the visibility of the adventurer-if I remember correctly, pressure plates spotted by adventurers lose their function, even if it's not the adventurer who steps on them). Also, you might want to put a few points into agility and be at least an adequate swimmer if you want to survive.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:26:49 pm by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 13, 2013, 03:37:44 pm »

Well, this will be a fun story to read, although Deathtraps isn't really all too impressive.
Important:Please use a character with a very low observation level if you're going to explore Deathtraps; I think I made a mistake when designing a crucial part of the fortress that will probably prevent you from advancing (ie. a pressure plate in the visibility of the adventurer-if I remember correctly, pressure plates spotted by adventurers lose their function, even if it's not the adventurer who steps on them). Also, you might want to put a few points into agility and be at least an adequate swimmer if you want to survive.

Well, I always put two levels into swimmer and agility at char creation, and then power-level swimming and sneaking to up my physical attributes, so, that's not gonna be a problem. Unfortunately, I also always put three levels into Observation... Wouldn't you be able to trigger the pressure plate from a menu? That's dumb if that happens and I hope Toady fixes it.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 13, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »

Well, I always put two levels into swimmer and agility at char creation, and then power-level swimming and sneaking to up my physical attributes, so, that's not gonna be a problem. Unfortunately, I also always put three levels into Observation... Wouldn't you be able to trigger the pressure plate from a menu? That's dumb if that happens and I hope Toady fixes it.
What exactly do you mean by "menu"? This certain pressure plate is triggered by water. If the pressure plate is seen by the adventurer, it will not be triggered by the liquid (I think), since, for some reason, spotting a trap/pressure plate in adventure mode basically disarms it, even if you're several tiles away.
If I'd noticed the error before uploading, it would simply be a matter of moving the plate out of sight, but it's too late for that now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:06:34 pm by Pie Maker »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 13, 2013, 04:12:58 pm »

Allright.. So we've run into a bug where it is no longer possible to unretire previous adventurers in the current, and recent, savegames.  I've been messing with the save, there might be a way to salvage one or two adventurers, but it will be a glorious mess.

I've managed to track down most if not all of our retired characters. I've indicated their positions on Timeless Bobs map of dinerwandered:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, that's correct, everybody except for Mrwillsauce and Eric Blanks character are squatting the same house just west of King's Boulevard. That's three or four necromancers, a vampire, their companions including goblins, a number of zombies, and several innocent people. Our local eerie mist thrall might also be among the inhabitants, I didn't check. The moment anybody enters the house or gets near it, all hell will break loose, and all our great heroes will start bashing each others brains until only one is left standing, and some will drop dead due to old age. (I must admit that this is an absolutely epic fight to watch..)

Now even with all those adventurers dead, the bug remains.
However, I think that with dfhack, it would be possible to build a fortress on the site and switch control to a selected adventurer (edit: another method has been found, you can travel to the site with another adventurer, then switch control to the character you want to unretire). If the 'unretired' adventurer survives the mother of all DF battles, he could then continue on his adventure, but most likely all others in the "adventurer home" will kill each other, so there will be a lot of collateral damage. This needs some further testing (I won't have time to test this in the next few days though). The good news is that with Mrwillsauce and Eric living at the other end of town, Kromgar's character is the only one in that house who is still on the play list, so others might be expendable.

Edit: so the only way to work around this bug might be to hold a massive fight-to-the-death between all our adventurers. DF is the most glorious game ever.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:30:39 am by Bralbaard »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 13, 2013, 04:37:05 pm »

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Man. I'm gonna have fun instigating that fistfight. I think I'm gonna go into the house, and that's how I'm actually going to start the story. We should probably wait until research can be done on the best way to do this, though. Science project engage.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 14, 2013, 12:24:13 am »

Well, I suppose I should be glad my character has a 100% chance to not get caught up in THAT fight. Hopefully Mrwillsauce is a total wuss/not a homicidal maniac.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 14, 2013, 02:19:06 am »

So almost all of the retirees are stuffed into one house, waiting tranquilly for a spectator to arrive so that they can begin bashing each other's skulls...

The first to die shall obviously be the living, who shall find themselves swarmed by undead. As for the necromancers, vampire, and necromancer thrall, do they actually fight each other? For, if they do and Nil is present amongst them, they are all doomed.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 14, 2013, 03:39:32 am »

I guess the thrall would fight everything in its path. A loyalty cascade might take care of any friendships that are left among the other adventurers.

Also, dfhack has an adv-bodyswap tool that would make switching to the right character a lot easier. I'd stay away from the house untill its kromgars turn as any interference would lead to catastrophy. Kromgar could then start a new adventurer, drop out of travel mode as close to the house as possible, swap bodies and run for his life. We would of course demand a detailed report of the battle :D

I'd say we wait untill after laurarukyrumo's turn, to see if anybody comes up with a better idea.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 14, 2013, 03:51:01 am »

I propose that after this mess is cleaned up, we begin retiring our adventurers in different villages. That way, if anyone ever has the opportunity to unretire their adventurers, he/she could use the adv-bodyswap method without worrying about the death of every other retired adventurer in the area.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 14, 2013, 10:42:52 am »

Well... killing a thrall would be pretty hard... If i can take control of my adventurer and flee in time I could run to the museum and grab the adamantine axe... because the thrall is immediately going to become hostile and create a loyalty cascade of epic proportions
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:44:36 am by Kromgar »

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 14, 2013, 10:51:09 am »

You can start if kromgar agrees to have his turn postphoned for now the old turn order is still effective. Everybody is free to bugtest ofcourse

Killing all adventurers would be a bit drastic and would lead to the same result as the bug: nobody can be unretired any more. As stated above the number of adventurers might not be the problem, since adding a lot of new adventurers to the old save does not cause the bug. It might be a specific bug introduced during stomic chickens turn. I wonder if killing atomic chicken's character would help (if it does, then the game REALLY doesn't want us to acquire vampirism)

So yeah vampirism and necromancy are mutually exclusive same with were affliction now. Though you could go... Werebeast ---> Necromancer ----> Husk

I tried body swapping but its saying i need to force ti somehow. I am just testing to see how it goes. But yeah I found Kaslun he was under elite wrestler but I could tell because he had nerve damage in his right hand he was running out of the house FILLED with corpses
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:39:42 am by Kromgar »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 162