Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 783021 times)

Kalsb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1215 on: November 12, 2013, 05:25:11 pm »

Wow... my turn seems so close now. What's the plan for when DF is updated?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 12, 2013, 05:49:00 pm »

Dinnerwandered, 2th of granite, 1148.

Dear editor of the Dinnerwandered Gazeteer.

As curator of the museum I feel I must write you this short letter in response to the wild accusations and claims that have surfaced in the latest edition of the Dinnerwandered Gazeteer.
Contrary to what is stated in the article, the Museum is in no way responsible for the unfortunate death of Leslem Spoonedboys.

We can agree on some parts of the article in the Gazeteer.
Mr. Spoonedboys indeed visited the museum hours before his death. It is also true that mr. Spoonedboys was a very enthusiastic visitor, he even went down into the basement and killed his own copy of Sluguflonkus. This is an interactive experience that we offer to all our visitors, and as such not remarkable.

We broadly agree on the facts that were reported in the news about his actions upon leaving the museum. The museum however strongly denies that we have pressured mr. Spoonedboys in any way to undertake any foolish actions. Whatever mr. Spoonedboys did after leaving the museum was his own responsibility.
Mr. Spoonboys must have travelled to the adventurer house in southern Dinnerwandered, the site where recently many of the heroes and contributers of the museum were killed by the undead abominations Nil Swifttoast the colourless complexity and Dishmap Northmanor the Mute Saffron Soot. We understand he tried to lure these demonic creatures away, in an attempt to secure the corpses of the fallen heroes, and bring them to the Tomb of Heroes. This was noble, and also very foolish of Mr. Spoonedboys. We understand he failed, and that he was killed by one of the zombies that were raised by the abominations.

What we vehemently disagree on is that the blame for his death is placed upon the museum. We'd like to repeat that mr. Spoonedboys was responsible for his own actions, we however feel he was not responsible for his own death, that blame however can't be put on the museum, but lies elsewhere. It is about time that this is pointed out clearly.

The fact that the undead horrors Nil Swifttoast and Dishmap Northmanor have not been dealt with by the Guard is inexcusable. These abominations have terrorized our fair city for over many years now, and claimed the lives of our greatest heroes.
Mr. Spoonedboys is just one of many of their victims, and if no action is taken will not be the last. The guard should take responsibility for the unfortunate death of Mr. Spoonedboys, and should finally put an end to this threat once and for all. 

With kind regards,

Onur Whiskybreakfast, Curator of the Museum.

----------------------------------------------

Wow... my turn seems so close now. What's the plan for when DF is updated?

A new game will be started, but likely not right after the update. I'd like to have the game run as long as this one, and that means we probably should start only if we know the DF version we start from is stable and without major bugs. Further information will follow once the next DF version is released.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:43:58 am by Bralbaard »

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 12, 2013, 06:00:31 pm »

Will the new museum be a retired fortress?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 12, 2013, 06:04:30 pm »

The current version of DF has a bug where retired (using DFhack) or abondoned fortresses suffer FPS death after a while. When fortresses have been visited by say, seven or eight adventurers, they are flooded by wildlife and cavern creatures and the whole thing grinds to a halt. I haven't heard anything about this bug being fixed, so most likely we'll stick to a town keep or other bug free structure like we did in this version, it will need some testing after release.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 12, 2013, 10:07:00 pm »

Lovely story Bralbaard!

I like to think of Nil and Dishmab as grumpy flat mates sharing a house full of blood and bones, kind of like a Chaotic Evil version of The Odd Couple.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 12, 2013, 11:34:42 pm »

Cue Music

Can two formerly heroic undead horrors live together in perpetuity without driving each other mad?

"Hell is other roomates" ~Nil
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 13, 2013, 12:06:35 am »

The current version of DF has a bug where retired (using DFhack) or abondoned fortresses suffer FPS death after a while. When fortresses have been visited by say, seven or eight adventurers, they are flooded by wildlife and cavern creatures and the whole thing grinds to a halt. I haven't heard anything about this bug being fixed, so most likely we'll stick to a town keep or other bug free structure like we did in this version, it will need some testing after release.

It could instead be hosted at a castle. They don't seem to suffer the same fate as player fortresses as far as I've experienced, and also tend to have smaller populations (only a lord/lady, some guards, and maybe the lord/lady's relatives) so it would hopefully be less laggy overall.

We'll also probably have some time to test player forts to see if that bug is dealt with for the next release.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:10:58 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 13, 2013, 12:32:46 am »

Oh wow - all those towers would make wonderful wings of a museum...

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 13, 2013, 01:09:23 am »

Here's the save game, there's a small new fortress as well, Channeledpower.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2wcwy70z9ddtbpk

map:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:33:45 am by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 14, 2013, 09:21:27 pm »

The brief and violent death of Leslem Spoonedboys has been recorded in the annals of the adventurers of The Museum. I really love doing this detective work :)
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 15, 2013, 02:41:53 am »

And you managed to find out a lot of detail as well:

Struck down by the human zombie "Roarrobust," the reanimated corpse of the human Mimap Fistbreaths, slain by Nil Swifttoast and raised as a zombie by Dishmab Northmanor

has the extra kill been awarded to Nil Swifttoast yet?  ;)

Also, playing my own copy of the game, I have found that the game now reliably crashes when visiting Tongsrace, or upon attempts to reclaim the site. Can others confirm this, or is it just my PC?
If so, I'll update the front page with a warning.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:14:04 am by Bralbaard »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 15, 2013, 04:17:55 am »

Tongsrace and the town just north of Dinnerwandered, Chuck-something or other.

I looked into the bug and it said that sometimes place files got corrupted, but that they could be replaced by older versions of the same place-files.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: November 15, 2013, 05:33:38 am »

Pointyfrenzies is the other place that crashes. In that case we know it's likely the presence of a bugged adventurer (evictedsaint)

Do you have a link for the place file thing? I've been unable to google it.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 15, 2013, 03:59:04 pm »

here ya go:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1371
This seems to be a persistent unit bug, rather than a place bug, even though this search brings up a few other cases.
www.google.com/search?q=dwarf+fortress+nemesis+unit+load+failed
Also, from Giant-in-the-playground, Many think that: "That error creeps up if your save is corrupted. It mostly comes up when you forcefully exit out using task manager."  However it takes quite a few saves to increment to the "Nemesis Unit Load Failed" that will crash a game.

So we may be dealing with a game save file that was corrupted untold saves ago, and has been drifting toward entropy ever since.  In short, ladies and gentlemen, we may be witnessing the symptoms of the END OF THE WORLD!

(I wonder if anyone would be interested in going back in the saves to a point where these places are able to be visited without crashing the game and make a divergence point there, an "alternate timeline" game.  Just set it up as a stub, then wait for this game world to be entirely unplayable from crashing, then continue on from there?  Maybe someone could build a fortress where adventurers could travel back in time" to that point, ensuring a continuity of knowledge of the doomed future and providing all sorts of interesting plot-lines as people re-discover the new timeline.) Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:23:33 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 15, 2013, 04:52:13 pm »

From your earlier post I thought the bug could be fixed, but if It can't be, thats no big issue. Both locations aren't essential to the game, so I don't think we should revert to an earlier save. Tongsrace was unplayable due to FPS death before the crash ocured, and actually the fps death thing may be what's crashing it now (the place was completely overrun by cavern creatures). The other place is just a minor village and we know the cause over there is a bugged adventurer. 
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 162