Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Are vampires much of a threat to a fortress?  (Read 12738 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are vampires much of a threat to a fortress?
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:46:37 pm »

I wish they'd fly into a berserk, superhuman killing frenzy upon being discovered or something. Do they rack up many casualties on their own if you don't notice them for awhile?

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: Are vampires much of a threat to a fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:58:18 pm »

There will be no question in your mind when they kill your only skilled strand extractor, or your only legendary weaponsmith. I always get them beaten up and use them to train my doctors.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:15:00 pm »

Unless everything goes horribly wrong (and this being DF, it tends to do that), most ordinary threats (monsters, goblins, zombies, FBs etc) will only endanger those dwarves whose professions may take them out of the fortress. So miners, woodcutters, weavers, fisherdwarves and soldiers might expect high casualty rates, but normally you don't lose your best "inside" dwafves like weaponsmiths, farmers, cooks, brewers, strand extractors etc, unless you're unlucky or the fort is collapsing anyway.

Enter Urist McVampire.

Suddenly your legendary armoursmith winds up dead. Then you have to either put off that massive order of steel armour you were making, or accept it being of substandard quality. Either decision could lead to a disaster if your military meets something nasty in the meantime.

Or he might feed on your legendary cook. "That's OK," you say. "Quality doesn't matter too much on food anyway." You might notice when his replacement is cooking MUCH slower and you run out of food. Tantrum spiral may ensue.

In short, yes indirectly vampires can destroy a fort, though they seem fairly easy to spot most of the time. It is a bit of a shame that they don't resist arrest when the hammerer comes for them, but hopefully Toady will fix that in future. THAT could result in serious fun, especially if the vampire picks up a weapon, or was part of the fortress guard. Another reason not to draft new migrants straight into the army...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »

Very good points :p

Are they that easy to spot if you're not looking for one? And why would you be looking for one before a body turned up :p

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:35:56 pm »

Yeah, vampires are like cloaked goblins wandering your fortress. They can take anyone, which might sadly be your best metalsmith, or your best teacher/soldier, or your Iron Chef, everyone is at risk...

They make nice dedicated lever pullers, though.

No matter the result, having a vampire tends to bite.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 12:10:44 am »

Vampires really do suck, don't they?

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 12:28:00 am »

Yeah, a vampire is a real pain in the neck!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 06:51:07 am »

Accusing them of one murder at a time (while having a hammerer appointed...and a hammer!) will train your medical staff up nicely.  50 hammerstrikes, hospitalise, diagnose, treat, rinse and repeat.

Individual bedrooms are now a total liability though.  Big dorms are much safer - your dwarves will still be killed by the vampire, but you should get witnesses to help track them down.

It would be nice, though, if there was an in-game way of executing them, or at least shunning them from the fort.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:50 am »

Stop this punning, do you not see what's at stake?

I don't really think they're that bad, granted I've mostly just lost children and dwarfs in the more useless proffesions.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:29:23 am »

It would be nice, though, if there was an in-game way of executing them, or at least shunning them from the fort.

Yes, targeting any dwarf for any punishment is a required feature, sadly missing.

Finding vamps is easy.  Then wall them into little 1 tile rooms.  If you ever need an emergency defense from invaders, they can de-construct their way out, and join the fight.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:50 am »

I've had two vampires ever, and both in the same fort. One's a farmer with no family, so he won't be missed. The other is my mayor, friend of everyone. He's killed four people in my fort, all of which were artifact creators. I found him as he was feeding on a fifth. Thing is, he didn't completely drain this guy. Same goes for everyone else he's been feeding off of. Needless to say, I'm keeping him around to see if he kills the next artificer. It'd be pretty cool if he does.

Also, has anyone else falsely accused someone of many, many murders to free up space, or is that just me?

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:18 am »

How much stronger are vampires than normal dwarves in combat?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 11:11:52 am »

"Are vampires much of a threat to a fortress"?

I would say, NOT having a vampire is a bigger threat to a fortress.

Vampire + walls = fort that can't die
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 12:09:14 pm »

Oh, bite me, we're just having fun.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »

Oh, bite me, we're just having fun.
Oh please, you're killing me!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2 3 4