Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [Community Fort] Workedwheel, Defense From the Undead Menace  (Read 9980 times)

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WORKEDWHEEL

THE SITUATION:
    • A 5x5 embark that straddles the border of a wilderness biome and an evil (terrifying) biome.
    • A necromancer tower within spitting distance, raining evil plagues upon the Dwarven civilization to the north
    • Wall off the haunted, diseased, tentacle-ridden area and protect The Heroic Syrup from invasion!

RULES:
    • Caste system! Must follow caste system structure by first year (when the first inspectors from the homelands come snooping!) Info below.
    • Militia! Everyone in the fort must, once per year, spend one month in the military, usually as a crossbowman manning the walls.
    • Must start on wall by second year.
    • Must finish some kind of basic wall by fourth.
    • Can't totally wall off the terrifying area: must always have a valid point of entry.
    • NO MOATS! Portcullises allowed.

CASTES:
    • ARTISAN - Wood, Bone ,and Stonecrafter; Wax Worker; Engraving; Jewelcrafting
    • BAKER - Pottery, Wood Burner, Glazer, Smelter, Glassworker
    • BUILDER - Mason, Woodcrafter, Carpenter, Architect, Mechanic
    • BUREAUCRAT - Bookeeper, Manager, Broker
    • CHEF - Food Haul, Cook, Brew, Butcher
    • FARMER (MASTER) - All farm labors not covered by Stitchers or Chefs. Master farmers are the only ones tasked with planting.
    • GRUNT - Hauling, pumping and cleaning only.
    • MINER - Miner, Smelter
    • SAGE - All healthcare abilities
    • SMITH - All metalcraft besides Furnace Operator. Also the bowyers.
    • STITCHER - Spinning, Dyeing, Weaving, Clothier, Leatherworking
    • WARRIOR - Full-time soldiers. Also serve as the commanders and Captains of the Guard.

MAIN CAST, in order of arrival
    • Founder Kingfisher Artobrigoth, Builder - Played by KINGFISHER
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    • Founder Dohon Irolas, Smith - Played by DOHON
    • Founder Gigmaster Ugithadil, Warrior, Spearman - Played by GIGMASTER
    • BhaaL Akrulzim, Sage - Played by LOCKMAN
    • Corai Idenadek, Warrior - Played by CORAI
    • Parshuram the Second, Warrior - Played by VANAHEIMER
    • Nix Athelgamil, Warrior - Played by NRDL
    • Phones Uvarsolon, Warrior - Played by PHONES

LIST OF PENDING DORFINGS
    • No pending dwarfings!

ALSO STARRING, in order of importance
    • Founder Meng Dodokuvar, Chef and Expedition Leader
    • Lokum Zegimush, Bureaucrat
    • Founder Lokum Itonamol, Master Farmer
    • Bomrek Knightedscalded, Deity of Victory and Fortresses, and Patron of Workedwheel, Builders and Chefs
    • Etur, Deity of Metal, Patron of Smiths
    • Midor Massivequest, Deity of Birth and Youth, Patron of Farmers and Stitchers
    • Shin Braveddiamond the Domain of Robustness, Deity of Sun, Fire, Volcanos and Mountains, Patron of Warriors and Bakers
    • Ertal Diamondjewel, Deity of Wealth, Patron of Artisans and Bureaucrats
    • Thukkan, Deity of the Unknown, Patron of Sages, Miners, and assumed patron of Grunts

This fort idea came to me during long hours of work; I was, basically, trying to figure out how to make playing in a haunted/terrifying biome interesting, without just pulling the ground over you and hiding your rear away. The caste system is something I've been figuring out before that (basically, trying to ease the headache of managing your bloody dwarves, along with presenting a new difficulty).

The first iteration of this fort, 'Glorious Cloisters,' was faaaar too easy. If you read through the first posts, I was basically starting up steel production in the first year, breezing through everything, and was only mildly inconvenienced by random ooze. So, I regenned the fort right next to a necromancer tower only one map tile south of the fort, the Heroic Syrups a few tiles north, and The Distrustful Hills, a terrifying biome, all but surrounding us. (yay!)

From an notice served to many throughout dwarven lands:

You, noble citizen of the Heroic Syrups, have been volunteered as a brave defender of the curtain wall our Majesty has ordained for the defense of the Realm.
    Your past life is not important; your past crimes, all forgiven; only your caste and your skill, and the Glory you shall recieve as a Defender of the Wall.
    You shall report at your local recruiting center immediately. Take no food, or what you cannot carry, only what you need.
    Serve, Build, Fight well, and your name will be known for all perpetuity of the realm. Fail, and your life may save hundreds of your breatheren.
    This we command, the High Syrup Council of the Realm, on 351 of the Infinite Planes, the Second of its Age.
    May the Gods give you Strength.

Long stand the Heroic Syrup.
    Long stand Workedwheels
    [/list][/list]

Year 1 Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6185
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:07:38 pm by Gigmaster »

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: [Community Fort] Gloriescloister, Defense From the Lurching Menace
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »

((NOTE: The posts on pages one and two are material from the first incarnation of this fort. For up-to-date stuff, skip over to page three. -Gig))

From the journal of 'Gigmaster' Kubukvudthar, Warrior of The Large Standards

-2nd Slate, 251, Spring-

[...] And I still can't believe I was told - told! - to gather up and pen turkeys. Allas's Grace, I hope none of my blade brothers hear of this. I can still smell the fowl droppings on my hands.

Yes, that is a pun, journal. Suck it up.

Anyways, things are going surprisingly well. The lack of weapons or armor we arrived with had me scared for a moment, but apparently the skimping worked out (the leggings I'm wearing were hammered out not more than three days ago) and the people our King, may His liver last long, sent to set up his shield wall have proven capable to varying degrees. I feel sorry for our solitary Builder though, running around doing thirteen different jobs at the moment. Apparently our Chef and leader felt the same way (funny, isn't it, how the Chef's always turn out to be the social mavens? Control the booze, control the world). He ran around, ranting that tradition was going to get us killed, and demanded that everyone pick up trowels and the granite we carted from the mountain homes.

I'll admit, that rankled too... but not as much as the turkeys. Especially with the quivering, gently wafting mass of tendrils and tentacles to our south. Armok give me strength, but that blight is bloody close. At least we have a full set of walls and a roof. We're incredibly lucky to not have any undead running up to us from the Lurching Hills, otherwise we might have died the moment we arrived. We did have a pack of dingo prowl up from the south, but they were of the living persuasion, and left us be. Though how anything short of an elephant survived a walk through the Lurching Hills is beyond me.

Other good news! Nish, our junior minor (poor weak thing) was fortunate enough to run into a sedimentary layer! And lignite! And hematite! Thank Allas, we were worried about having to take the time punching through an aquifier. That's going to be bloody important - our war with the goblin nations to the east means that these shield wall forts are going to have to be self-sustaining. For the most part, anyways. I'm looking forward to having an iron breastplate to strap on... some of the men were giving me... looks... when I was stripping down and throwing on my new armor. It's not like there was anywhere else to do it, journal... *shudders* Men. Ugh. Armak.

Maybe a couple of cloaks for good measure, too. Though no one knows when our first dwarf from the Stitcher caste will arrive.

Our other big worry is food. Since most of our allowance was spent on the 82 boulders of granite we hauled in, we couldn't take much food with us. And most of it was random, scraps like bumblebee brains and rat meat. I've had worse jerky in the army, but some of our soft-skins might not warm up to the idea of chewing on a rat leg or two. One of our two yak bulls we rode in with was butchered to make up for it yesterday, and we celebrated the completion of the walls with a haunch or two. But it doesn't stop us from giving the plump helmet farms down below concerned looks. The Miners dug them out as fast as we could... but first priority was chipping out enough mudstone to finish the roof. I suppose life is more important than booze.... but... Ehh.

In the meantime, I still lack any good space to work out and train. At least I can size up the others with my free time - those miners look like they'd be good hands with a hammer, and Chef Athel has an archer's sharp eyes. I was charged with making sure everyone in The Early Post - our group's title - would be fit for combat, and I'll fall on my own spear if I have see people squaking and fleeing from any bleedin' undead chipmunks.

So things are looking good, though. Surprisingly good. Unsurprisingly, this has me very, very worried. At least our builder will have the armor stands finished by next week.

Allas's grace upon us all.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:08:39 pm by Gigmaster »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:20:10 pm »

Dwarf me as a soldier Male. And boy, this sounds fun. Im watching for this.

Im a boy, dont dwarf me as a girl like most others do.
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:41:40 pm by Corai »
    Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
    Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
    Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:29:32 pm »

Aighty - next soldier, you're up.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:34:49 pm »

Could I also get dwarfed as a soldier? Preferably an axedwarf.

Name: Parshuram

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 04:47:27 pm »

Will do. Not sure how soon we'll get two full-time guys... we really really need a stitcher, and artisan and another builder.

Oh! That is one thing I will mention: immigrants and the caste system. When they arrive, unless they're really specc'd out for a specific job, I decide the moment they arrive what caste they're in - but once that decision is made, I can't go back.

Currently playing through the end of Spring. Things going well so far... again, surprisingly well.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 04:48:50 pm »

Give it some time... you'll be drowning in reanimated everything.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 06:05:30 pm »

Give it some time... you'll be drowning in reanimated everything.

...  ??? I blame you if I get some kind of necromancer siege before first year.  :P

16th of Slate

Herd of 8 elephants went charging past the fort today... bit random, I'll grant you. Good thing that they didn't stop to poke around and are instead milling around the edge of the stream to the north. I've read my ancient dwarven history.

We did notice the fact that they, like the dingos, came running through the Blight, straight from the southern hills... maybe they're fleeing something? I remember General Likot saying something about the blight of the Lurching Hills to be fairly recent... maybe the local wildlife is just now booking it out past us.

Hey, that's all right - if they had stuck around, we'd be up against zombie elephants, and Armok help us in that case.

24th Slate

The weather around here... confuses me.

Thankfully, the... stuff... only seems to come down inside the Blight. More than a few meters away, and you're good. Allas help us if anyone tracks that... stuff... in though. I really hope I'm never ordered out into the Blight.

And if wishes were beer...

Does it look like snot to you, journal?

3rd Felsite

Another celebration! Though more of a drunken sprawl than a celebration, honestly... the first planting of plump helmets came up! Which were turned instantly into several barrels of dwarven wine, over which Chef Athel and I had some good bonding time.

We also talked about getting a serious start on our preparations for trouble. Miner Nish said we were being paranoid, which ensued in drunken laughter for about three solid hours.

Ahh. Good times.

You'll be happy to know journal, that shortly afterwards the barracks equipment was finally finished; I made sure I was the one to arrange everything, right in the middle of our temporary workshop cavern. Hopefully some of the more complicated spearman stances will impress people enough to give some serious thought to their own future practice.

Chef Athel also set Nish and Dakost to mining out and smelting more lignite; we're also mining into that hematite vein a couple of levels down. Hopefully we'll have a few full suits of iron armor in a month or two.
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:07:01 pm by Gigmaster »

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

From the Journals of the Warrior 'Gigmaster' Kubukvudthar (cont)

10th Hematite

The new iron shirts are fitting quite nicely, and the iron breastplate isn't far behind (or so I'm told). I'm really looking forward to having a Stitcher in the fort who can throw together some socks and gloves and under-things for this, because it chafes like -

Wait.

Huh?

So... okay. Lungfish can fly now, journal. That must be one of the most creeped out peregrine falcons ever, flying around up there. It would certainly making a fishing Farmer's day a whole lot more interesting...

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 08:07:06 pm »

5th Malachite

Sorry about being lax for the past twenty or so days, journal. Not much has changed; iron armor's all set, we've opened up a couple of new hematite veins, more dingos have been spotted rushing out of the Blight. But most importantly, Summer's here! And with it has come a pair of married couples; Queen Lashcare must have sent them practically on our heels. Good thing to: among them is a member from the farmer's caste, the stitcher's, and two full warriors! Expert marksmen too. Even better yet, they're warrior sisters, not brothers - I've never gotten used to all the men who spar with me trying to take it easy. Ugh.

Below is an image Gigmaster sketched into her journal as she watched their approach

I jotted down a few notes about them below...

Stukos seems kind of shy, stingy, and a little ashamed. The poor guy doesn't seem to smile much because of the shape his mouth is in. I hope he's not a wet blanket...

And his wife scowls enough to make his face seem reasonable. I tried starting a conversation with her, and all I got was 'Targets. Practice. Where?' *grunt grunt grunt* Jeez.

Oh Alles... Besmar is... wow. He's kind of gorgeous. I... er. I think I'll make a few drawings of him for... booze time. And stuff. Wow.

Gods the man has a great voice.

And that leaves his wife: strong, steady, kind.... eh. It was a nice fantasy while it lasted. At least she'll be a great leader for the Warrior marksdwarf squad when the time comes.

((OOC: Sorry guys, it's an all-female barracks for now - if you wouldn't mind male, lemme know!))

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:13:35 pm by Gigmaster »

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 09:14:01 pm »

Female, male, it's still a dwarf and it still kills things.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
    • I Actually Like Elves
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 12:05:28 am »

Please dorf me as Nix,preferably male, full time speardwarf.  Please, just train any regular mook from scratch, I don't care about any world gen skills. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
    NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »

The tower wont attack you, your not within 10-tiles. No Necromancers for you :(
    Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
    Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
    Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

slothen

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »

Looks awesome.  I wanted to do something similar, except with a prison/caste system for some dwarfs, but I didn't cap my migrants or set firm dates, so now I have 80 dwarves all living in the same area working on all parts of the project.
    While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
    Thoughts on water
    MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
    "DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 07:01:43 pm »

Dorf me as a builder, Kingfisher. He has thoughts of bringing down the caste system.
    I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
    Ermey: 26/4/13
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5