Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 723646 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New release!
« Reply #705 on: May 28, 2013, 06:20:22 pm »

:o
Wow. This tool is getting unbelievable depth in the graphics department takes to your efforts sir.

It's nice to be able to see all this detail. It really helps you appreciate how much detail is provided by DF internally.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 05, 2013, 12:23:19 am »

Alright, circumstances have given me access to a linux machine.  Fought my way through the compile process, and stonesense seems to be working fine here, apart from the allegro timers being... completely insane (looks like they are off by a few orders of magnitude? pretty sure it wasn't taking ~32 years per frame).

In the future perhaps I can me more insightful to people experiencing troubles with stonesense on linux.

In other news I've taken some small steps toward getting some sprites for human/dwarf children.  I think they're going to be genderless and raceless because... well I don't know how different a human boy and a dwarf girl could possibly look, and it probably isn't worth the effort.  Maybe they will get different hair or something.  There's also no way for children to wield weapons, so I don't have to worry about a secondary pose, and armour probably isn't an issue.  It will take time, but significantly less time than humans or dwarves took. 
where is up?

Harmor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 17, 2013, 11:01:49 pm »

Hi everyone - I'm new to this game (found out about it through playing Gnomoria go figure) and was at first turned off by the ASCII graphics I have to admit. Then found out about Stonesense and it looks really solid - except that I have no idea how to get it to work.

I downloaded this lazynewb advanced pack 34.11 (because I'm a lazy newb I guess >_<) but in it there's no Stonesense (was supposed to I think...) in the graphics options (download was something like 35 MB). I get two other graphic options, Phoebus 34.11 and Ironhand 0.73 to choose from, but these too are ASCII so uhm, help please ^^. What am I doing wrong?

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 17, 2013, 11:51:53 pm »

Hi everyone - I'm new to this game (found out about it through playing Gnomoria go figure) and was at first turned off by the ASCII graphics I have to admit. Then found out about Stonesense and it looks really solid - except that I have no idea how to get it to work.

I downloaded this lazynewb advanced pack 34.11 (because I'm a lazy newb I guess >_<) but in it there's no Stonesense (was supposed to I think...) in the graphics options (download was something like 35 MB). I get two other graphic options, Phoebus 34.11 and Ironhand 0.73 to choose from, but these too are ASCII so uhm, help please ^^. What am I doing wrong?
Phoebus and Ironhand aren't ASCII, they are graphical tilesets. Also, you can't play the game through Stonesense (yet), it's just a visualizer.

Harmor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 18, 2013, 12:03:36 am »

Allright - but how do I get Stonesense to work then? The other two don't really look at all graphical to me or I'm just doing something wrong. The two mentioned here look a little like the old Ultimas up to VI, that sound about right?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 18, 2013, 12:10:51 am »

Stonesense is a visualizer that runs alongside dwarf fortress.  To open it, type 'stonesense' (or 'ssense') into the dfhack console.  You still play the game with a normal flat tileset and view, but you'll have a second window open with the graphics display. 
where is up?

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 18, 2013, 12:32:21 am »

Allright - but how do I get Stonesense to work then? The other two don't really look at all graphical to me or I'm just doing something wrong. The two mentioned here look a little like the old Ultimas up to VI, that sound about right?
It's pretty much the best you can do in terms of in-game graphics, so you'll have to get used to it, I'm afraid. You can visualize the game world using Stonesense, but you can't interact with the game UI (yet).

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 27, 2013, 04:46:14 am »

Nearly done with sprites for children:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(eyes and a few other minor things need to be done)

I also went back over and fixed up some color disparity that had crept in to some of the older sprites.  Bunch of damn fiddly work.  Children are hard to test because you can't make them in the arena.  Human and dwarven children use the same sprites.  Children have no armor or weapon sprites, since they can't use them (outside of extraordinary circumstances).  I have decided not to have facial hair sprites for male children, despite beards growing from birth in the game, since that's an unfinished feature (might work for dwarves, but for human children it would be just strange). 

Need to do babies now as well, because currently they show up as big naked adults :P
where is up?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 27, 2013, 04:53:16 am »

Awesome as usual, Caldfir.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 29, 2013, 07:53:58 am »

Meanwhile I finally got around to getting screwpumps to have the correct materials.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 30, 2013, 01:17:01 am »

hehe - screw-pumps are going to be one more thing I make sure I use all-the-same-color materials for now!

After a bunch of massaging pixels around so they scale nicely, child eyes are looking OK.  I'm going to call children 'finished' for now. 

where is up?

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 01, 2013, 04:13:42 pm »

I'm going to call children 'finished' for now. 

As do most parents I'm sure  ;)

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #717 on: July 04, 2013, 08:28:06 am »

Meanwhile I... haven't really been working on GD. Instead I put effort into polishing my 3d skills, and then wondered if I could create the stonesense tiles in 3d. The advantage would be 'being able to bake a normal map and use that to deal with lighting-effects' for if we're ever going to see the lighting arc.

Of course, the first problem I come across is making these things look actually as good as the HD GD tiles, but I think that lies in texturing the thing proper. I still need to figure out a good workflow so that the results may also be used by the bazillion 3d visualizers.

Hurr, turns out a decent diffuse map+specular can make a world of difference...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:35:05 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 04, 2013, 06:46:29 pm »

Zbrush?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #719 on: July 04, 2013, 07:00:02 pm »

Blender actually. Didn't even involve scultping.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 85