Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432892 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #495 on: April 08, 2012, 12:12:00 pm »

Do you mean traps, or traps?

oh hoh oho hohao ohhoo you went there

*steps aside to reveal a pair of brand-new danger rooms, stays to watch how Loud Whispers and KodKod react*

*begins throwing goblins inside*

Anyone who wants to use them has to take down the goblins first.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 08, 2012, 12:16:22 pm »

Hello Goblins.  The way I see it, you have two choices.

1), you just part down the middle there, and let me into the shiny pokey-stick booth behind you....

2) You can go play with the adorable zombie kitten collection I have in the room just under your feet... (Motions to lever linked to trapdoor)

I should remind you that the kitten room has a caged vampire necromancer walled up just behind a fortification slit, where he can see everything. I'd say there are about 10 generations of catsplosions down there.

Your choice.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 08, 2012, 12:19:02 pm »

...weeks of unadulterated torture...

I'm the Scorpion Pit Overseer, that's my job.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 08, 2012, 12:19:56 pm »

I've gotten past where I stopped - I managed to keep it close enough to the first run-through that the only real changes are that nobody lost any limbs, and king DZA didn't go berserk. Captain Crazy and Forumite still died just like they did the first time (that was hard to pull off, lol). This game is by far the hardest I've ever played. I keep expecting the whole fort to collapse on itself. Between starvation and tantrum spirals, we're still struggling to survive.

Indeed, there's no direct means to disable the modded civs.

What were they, anyway?

Also, I want a chance to dig myself a spacious room fit for a noble, and fill it with caged prisoners of the female variety. I'm thinking a large (9x9 or so), open main hall with balconies from the second story overlooking it, and a long row of glass windows behind fortifications in the bedroom, which is off to the side of the second story, to admire the caverns through. Oh, and a workshop area downstairs for masonry and mechanics workshops that I can use.

Might as well do something similar for other bay12ers, and randomly conscript those who never reply to this thread by nicknaming a dorf after them.
The modded races were Holistic Spawn (yeahhhhhhh...), Manamaids (think hideous crosses between mermaids and manatees), and Scythod (a very alien creature - very warriorlike). Manamaids would be allies, and the other two would try to kill us... If you guys want me to leave them in, I will, but otherwise...

About the order of rooms... oy... lol   i'll see what I can do. Our embark doesn't appear to have much in the way of metals (so far), and I'm trying to figure that one out - we still only have two picks, despite the mountainhome caravan. You and I are working ourselves half to death. :P

As a result, if I don't find a way to turn them off, we'll see horrors, jokes, and aliens...

You could simply alter the raws slightly so that they die the moment they enter the map.
Nice solution... This is done how? Do they explode in a cloud of vapor like stones modded to melt and boil away instantaneously?

You could simply alter the raws slightly so that they die the moment they enter the map.
This is a good plan, we should also set fire to a piece of lignite and have a never ending bonfire on which to huck their useless non-metal crap/corpses. You could put it in the dining hall and we could all sit around it and sing Kumbayah, or roast cats over it, one of those.
They're all sentient. :( Non-butcherable.

And @Wierd - I have no idea how much the bones are worth. The Twelfth Bay was accidentally started in my secondary testing folder - we might've ended up with mughammers, serrated disc launchers and railguns if I'd chosen another wrong one. Honestly, I think that would've been more fun... :P Sounds like us, too. But the civs are in the folder for testing purposes... and I haven't tested that stuff out yet.

@HmH - I lol'd. :D As to the danger rooms...

Who else thinks danger rooms in The Twelfth Bay would be a good idea?

Ninja'd repeatedly. Kodkod, haven't seen any scorpions yet. The elves might have some, but I don't know if you want tainted scorpions... (actually, given what we're going through atm you might make an exception.)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #499 on: April 08, 2012, 12:22:04 pm »

Your choice.

And you walk in.

The door locks behind you.

You're now stuck in a danger room full of legendary goblins, with a zombie catsplosion behind you.
!!Tactical blunder!!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 08, 2012, 12:25:20 pm »

Wierd Joykill swings the =iron scurge= at the zombie kitten X200!

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 08, 2012, 12:32:47 pm »

Nice solution... This is done how? Do they explode in a cloud of vapor like stones modded to melt and boil away instantaneously?

Ninja'd repeatedly. Kodkod, haven't seen any scorpions yet. The elves might have some, but I don't know if you want tainted scorpions... (actually, given what we're going through atm you might make an exception.)

The best way is to edit the HOMEOTHERM tag to be more along the lines of 40000, which will cause them all to set on fire and burn everything to death the moment they enter the map. It wont work on anything that is already ON the map though, only new things that head your way.

As for the scorpions, get what you can even if it is from the elves. No doubt they will be so grateful to the elves for keeping them captive that they'll choose to generously share their deadly neurotoxins with them.
/人‿‿人\

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 08, 2012, 12:36:50 pm »

How are you people getting giant creatures trainable?  I just dug through the raws, and the giant creature modifier removes the PET PET_EXOTIC MOUNT and MOUNT_EXOTIC tokens!  I had to redact some entries in the giant creature modifier to make my giant lion collection trainable.

in other news.... Elves brought me some giant bark scorpions and giant kingsnakes....

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 08, 2012, 12:38:50 pm »

How are you people getting giant creatures trainable?  I just dug through the raws, and the giant creature modifier removes the PET PET_EXOTIC MOUNT and MOUNT_EXOTIC tokens!  I had to redact some entries in the giant creature modifier to make my giant lion collection trainable.

in other news.... Elves brought me some giant bark scorpions and giant kingsnakes....

If I'm not mistaken it takes them away from the base creature before new tags are added. Any giant creature which has the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag in its raws will still be tameable.
/人‿‿人\

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 08, 2012, 12:44:37 pm »

(grumbles)

My giant lions use ordinary lions as the base creature, which DO have PET_EXOTIC and TRAINABLE. The giant creature modifier by default kills that.  I had to remove the offending tag removal entries.

I suppose for giant creatures not created using the modifier, the situation would be different... but I found this silly.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 08, 2012, 01:10:17 pm »

The best way is to edit the HOMEOTHERM tag to be more along the lines of 40000, which will cause them all to set on fire and burn everything to death the moment they enter the map. It wont work on anything that is already ON the map though, only new things that head your way.

As for the scorpions, get what you can even if it is from the elves. No doubt they will be so grateful to the elves for keeping them captive that they'll choose to generously share their deadly neurotoxins with them.
That'll work. :D Thanks, KodKod, you're awesome.

Okay, if nobody wants to meet Holistic Spawn, Manamaids, or Scythods, I'm going to blow them all up with thermonuclear weapons and leave them out of the story. The main reason being that I don't want anyone criticizing the story for being untrue to DF. :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 08, 2012, 01:13:12 pm »

Well, if you must. I still get my crafting workshop, right?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 08, 2012, 01:15:23 pm »

TALVEINO, where did you get the SOH, I been looking for a week.

On-topic:

KodKod, can I come out of the scorpion pit yet?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #508 on: April 08, 2012, 01:19:03 pm »

Someone would end up stubbing their toe and complaining that it hurt.

By the end of the week, enough SCIENCE would have been performed that we'd know exactly how much pain will be cause upon stubbing the toe in specific ways, and will have found both the most and least painful way to stub one's toe.

Also, there would be a LOT of stubbed toes.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 08, 2012, 01:21:37 pm »

I hope we started in a subtropical (preferably island) setting. I can't stand camping in the cold. I've also spent most of my life either living on islands or mountains, and I'd feel uncomfortable without access to beaches.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 214