Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432821 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #1485 on: April 17, 2012, 05:11:56 pm »

Oh children... NaPalm is a concatonation of 'Napthalene' and 'sodium palmitate'.

What is that in non-science geek?

Refined petrolium spirit + soap.

A suitable semi-petrolium spirit can be created by making biodiesel. For that, you need perfectly dry alchol (must be chemically dried), sodium hydroxide lye, and vegetable oil. Presense of water creates soap. Pure alcohol will react with the lye and chemically change. When mixed with the oil and swished around, trans-esterification occurs where a hydroxyl group exchanges with glycerol on the fatty acid chain. This results in a nasty brown liquid, and biodiesel.

Taking the biodiesel and kiln dried soap shavings and whipping them together will result in a gooey flammable gel. Tada! Homebrew napalm knockoff!

A natural gas ignition torch, and a compressed air pressure tank filled with gooey doom, with a high pressure nozzle and you got yourself a flame thrower.

I can make napalm all day long. Its safe to make. Nitro? Not so much.... slow titration with a buret and a freezing saltwater ice bath to prevent spontaneous dedtonation during nitration..... very careful whicking into inert sponge prior to handling..... toxic if skin contact occurs.... touchy, touchy, touchy.

Napalm? Anybody can do it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 17, 2012, 05:18:32 pm »

I really wish we could have actual flamers now.....

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 17, 2012, 05:36:30 pm »

I really wish we could have actual flamers now.....

You can use an interaction linked to an edible item that gives a dorf a temporary ability to shoot jets of flame!

Even then, you could use an extremely hot liquid material and shoot liquid globs of it, which cause targets to burst into flames!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 17, 2012, 05:38:12 pm »

My modding expierience is sadly limited to items, critters, and less successfully, entities. Hell, I can barely pull off normal reactions.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 17, 2012, 05:39:59 pm »

If enough of us know how to put an engine together and can make the tools to do it (somewhat) quickly, we'd just need fuel. Stone would have to do for wheels though since I doubt any of us work in natural rubber manufacturies.

Would probably be a bitch to ride in... But pretty bitchin' too.

Get me a compass, a set square, and a ruler, and I could draw up some blueprints.  I know enough about steam and internal combustion engines to at least have a starting point, and could quickly come up with a passable recreation of early locomotives.  Mount some weapons on there, give it some light armor, and you end up with a rudimentary tank.  Steam power is not ideal, but would serve until I or someone else got an internal combustion engine made.  Alternatively, we could bypass all that and just throw a water reactor or three on instead.
I also know a fair bit about the mechanics of guns, so if someone (wierd) did come up with gunpowder, I could design us some firearms. 
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 17, 2012, 05:54:22 pm »

If enough of us know how to put an engine together and can make the tools to do it (somewhat) quickly, we'd just need fuel. Stone would have to do for wheels though since I doubt any of us work in natural rubber manufacturies.

Would probably be a bitch to ride in... But pretty bitchin' too.

Get me a compass, a set square, and a ruler, and I could draw up some blueprints.  I know enough about steam and internal combustion engines to at least have a starting point, and could quickly come up with a passable recreation of early locomotives.  Mount some weapons on there, give it some light armor, and you end up with a rudimentary tank.  Steam power is not ideal, but would serve until I or someone else got an internal combustion engine made.  Alternatively, we could bypass all that and just throw a water reactor or three on instead.
I also know a fair bit about the mechanics of guns, so if someone (wierd) did come up with gunpowder, I could design us some firearms.

Water reactors all the way. Everywhere. No excuse not to use tiny ones for every mechanical device.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 17, 2012, 06:00:44 pm »

Steam cars? How... 19th century.

Ever taken apart a dremel tool to replace the contactors? (They are a user servicable part)

No permanent magnets inside a dremel. Just counter opposed mag coils.

Just make some delightful primary alkaline batteries, a steel armature, and some lacquered copper wire, with a little TLC, and you got yourself a fast reacting electric drive motor. Whee!

Electric dunebuggy with dome mounted napalm turret, and we got ourselves something straight out of mad max! *squee*

Granted, it would be direct drive without a real transmission, which could be problematical... not made for long distance travel anyway. Meant to be fast and manouverable instead.

If the fire isn't fun enough though, we could mount some rotating serrated steel discs on a big, slow and heavy assault vehicle and go goblin grinding instead.  8 ply glass should stop most crossbow and arrow bolts. You only need a small window to drive with.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 17, 2012, 06:48:58 pm »

Well, Talvieno and I concocted a working handheld serrated disc launcher. Take your good ol' trap part, downsize it, and you basically have a oneshot version of it a dwarf can carry.

A mechanic with barely any archer or crossbow skill missed his intended target (a mounted white tigerman) and lopped off the leg of the axetiger a few squares away. Perhaps a rack fed version of that would suffice on that buggy thing? They may be slow to fire, but everything from goblins down can be bisected horizontally with them.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 17, 2012, 06:53:25 pm »

For incendiary liquid weapons, I suggest magma
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Meta The Golem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 17, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »

im willing to be the book keeper, if that spot is taken let me be the broker if there's a broker send me to the front lines

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 17, 2012, 07:03:37 pm »

Well, Talvieno and I concocted a working handheld serrated disc launcher. Take your good ol' trap part, downsize it, and you basically have a oneshot version of it a dwarf can carry.

A mechanic with barely any archer or crossbow skill missed his intended target (a mounted white tigerman) and lopped off the leg of the axetiger a few squares away. Perhaps a rack fed version of that would suffice on that buggy thing? They may be slow to fire, but everything from goblins down can be bisected horizontally with them.

And so it begins......

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:12:47 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:36 pm »

Pff, bitch please. DF is way gorier than Call of Duty, inless we're talking World at War.

Disc Launchers ftw!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 17, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »

And railguns! Railguns are epic.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 17, 2012, 07:11:17 pm »

I alomst forgot about them... Yeah they do 3 things.

Railguns will
1. Miss entirely, but if they don't they will either:
2. Shatter bones 100 % of the time, or
3. Propel the hit target so hrd they will explode into gristle and bits no matter how short the distance.

The main downside is dwarven railguns take a rediculous amount of micromanaging to get produced.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 17, 2012, 07:15:23 pm »

I just like how the slug rounds send enemies flying backwards 500 feet. And then their bodyparts flying another 200.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:43:32 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 214