Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432097 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #1500 on: April 17, 2012, 07:21:14 pm »

You realize that railguns are extemely difficult to build right?

Given the extremely broken "deadly dust" attack mechanic, a weaponized Air Vortex Cannon with an explosive induced percussion source to generate the vortex event should be obscenely devistating.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 17, 2012, 07:30:01 pm »

They were designed with DF as a game in mind, requiring small mechanisms MAGNETITE rails (no other metal will do.) A steel or adamantine housing for the mechanisms and whatever the appearent powersource might actually be, a shaped wooden stock with a leather pad. Overall it would end up involving mechanics, weaponssmiths, furnace operators, capenters, and leatherworkers to produce a single gun.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 17, 2012, 07:44:22 pm »

Steam cars? How... 19th century.

Ever taken apart a dremel tool to replace the contactors? (They are a user servicable part)

No permanent magnets inside a dremel. Just counter opposed mag coils.

Just make some delightful primary alkaline batteries, a steel armature, and some lacquered copper wire, with a little TLC, and you got yourself a fast reacting electric drive motor. Whee!

Electric dunebuggy with dome mounted napalm turret, and we got ourselves something straight out of mad max! *squee*

Granted, it would be direct drive without a real transmission, which could be problematical... not made for long distance travel anyway. Meant to be fast and manouverable instead.

If the fire isn't fun enough though, we could mount some rotating serrated steel discs on a big, slow and heavy assault vehicle and go goblin grinding instead.  8 ply glass should stop most crossbow and arrow bolts. You only need a small window to drive with.

I hadn't even considered electricity, but it's certainly a viable option.  Again, though, water reactors render pretty much any alternative power source obsolete. 

I could probably make a transmission, if it came to that.  I'd actually prefer not to have to use one, though; I'm thinking independently powered wheels (I have a zero-turn lawnmower, and it's awesome).  The only thing that bothers me is how one would vary (and reverse) the power output, since water reactors always produce the same amount.  I'm thinking right now of using a sort of power siphoning/redirecting system, which would basically consist of a bunch of gear assemblies that can be engaged or disengaged to vary the amount of power available to the wheels.  It could work, especially since gear assemblies instantly react to switches, though the controls might be a bit confusing.  You could even put emergency override controls for each vehicle somewhere in the fortress, since they don't have to be physically connected to the assemblies.

They were designed with DF as a game in mind, requiring small mechanisms MAGNETITE rails (no other metal will do.) A steel or adamantine housing for the mechanisms and whatever the appearent powersource might actually be, a shaped wooden stock with a leather pad. Overall it would end up involving mechanics, weaponssmiths, furnace operators, capenters, and leatherworkers to produce a single gun.

I think you'd run into that problem regardless of the type of gun.  An ordinary, bolt-action rifle would require woodworkers, metalsmiths, furnace operators, mechanics, and (al)chemists.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 17, 2012, 07:46:27 pm »

Precisly. They're rediculously overpowered weapons, but take a while to produce.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 17, 2012, 07:59:46 pm »

The hydro powered assault vehicle would be huge. Basically a moving fortress.

(Needs to have reservoirs, water wheels, screw pumps, etc.)

The electric fast attack buggy would be small and fast. The heavy assault vehicle would have enough power to drive rotating steel discs, and all kinds of things, like rotating whipping chains.

One would be an ambush buster. The other would be a siege crusher.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 17, 2012, 08:02:42 pm »

I love this forum for these discussions.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:09 pm »

What did I miss? I been learning at school stealing mugs.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:22 pm »

Ditto. This may be the best thread I've ever seen.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 17, 2012, 08:37:58 pm »

Given current knowledge of DF physics, we could use a heavily scaled-down water reactor system that can fit virtually anywhere. Each wheel could have it's own 3x3x2 waterwheel/gearbox powering it, with the axle connected directly to the waterwheels, on a rotating joint that allows us to rotate the wheel on the z-axis for steering. Or you could just use tank-steering and change the speed the wheels are rotating at to affect the velocity of the vehicle. I personally think that if perpetual motion machines were possible, we could do anything. And DF provides the perpetual motion generators.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 17, 2012, 08:43:45 pm »

Given current knowledge of DF physics, we could use a heavily scaled-down water reactor system that can fit virtually anywhere. Each wheel could have it's own 3x3x2 waterwheel/gearbox powering it, with the axle connected directly to the waterwheels, on a rotating joint that allows us to rotate the wheel on the z-axis for steering. Or you could just use tank-steering and change the speed the wheels are rotating at to affect the velocity of the vehicle. I personally think that if perpetual motion machines were possible, we could do anything. And DF provides the perpetual motion generators.

Or.....

Kobolds are pulling a tank
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 17, 2012, 08:46:52 pm »

Our powerplant needs to be where invaders can't make it dead.

The kobolds are running in a giant wheel. The machine is moving forward. The humans are firing serrated discs into trolls. The humans are laughing.

There, everyone's survivablity is increased.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:18 pm »

Our powerplant needs to be where invaders can't make it dead.

The kobolds are running in a giant wheel. The machine is moving forward. The humans are firing serrated discs into trolls. The humans are laughing.

There, everyone's survivablity is increased.

A WHEEL, A WHEEL? WE WILL NOT RUN IN A WHEEL!

A hamster wheel however.......

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »

Toady's gonna read this and wonder just what kinds of psychopaths fortress mode players really are.

I mean, what "normal" person would read this thread and NOT think we all need mental help and counselling? LOL!

Having let my knowledge of horrble deadly poisons out, how many of you would eat cookies if I made them? Etc.......

We would turn dwarf world on its head, paddle its ass, and make it our bitch in just a few years. I can't help but wonder if all the other civs, so horribly outmatched, wouldn't drop their differences just long enough to try to halt the advance of our clearly overwhelming power. Undead? No problem... we just suck them in the front of the mobile assault fortress, and essentially chippershred them, then blast them out of air blowers as tiny animated skin and bone fragments. What we don't need gets the magma treatment! (Just imagine! A deadly spray of zombie oystershell shards clawing and tearing at the flesh of the living!)

Elves? Their forest retreats would BURN for miles around under the unrelenting assault of our napalm flame cannons!

Goblins? I wonder what a wrecking ball will do to their obsidian spire!

Humans!? Like their little wooden villages would stand up long!

Dwarves? Aggressive pumping of deadly phosgene down the front door after we smash it in (see wrecking ball above), and its all over! 

If we tipped our hand too aggressively, those other civs would quite nervous indeed. I propose the following diplotmatic approach:

Elves:

Tell them that within our boarders, we will slaughter all the trees we want, and they can just suck it. Tell us our business, and we will will tell you yours. Rest assured, you would not survive. If you want to send a trade caravan, no singing, and no garbage cloth. Only giant animals. Violators will be incinerated. In exchange, we will sell you ropereed paper, quality inks and dyes, milled soap to wash off that nacky hippy smell, and delicious baked goods.

Humans:

You guys aren't that bad. Just don't get too ambitious and try to copy our stuff. We don't play that game, and don't export knowledge. If you try, you will die. Otherwise, feel free to send merchants. We'll offer fine glassware, metal cutlery, quality ceramics and chinaware, and all the same stuff we offer elves. Those hippies suck and won't buy our fabulous home furnishings, but humans know how to enjoy the finer things in life.  Just bring us cut gems, metal bars, milk, cheese fish and meat products. We'll do the rest.

Dwarves:

Hey homies! Sorry, not interested in dwarf barons or exporting tech to the mountain home. Btw, if we say we are full, please don't send more migrants. With the exception of technical specifications, our full stock is available for trade. We like metal. Lots and lots of metal. You guys make delightful serrated discs and the like too. Many hands make light work, and our death machines are the absolute best. Bring us parts and raw materials, visit, and have a good time, we'll do the rest.

Goblins:

If you guys don't stop with killing the grass with your rotting corpses, we'll smash in your tower. Seriously. We'll capture your "master", put her ugly elephantine ass in a centrifuge, and use her to mass produce beautiful silk stockings and thermal jumpsuits. When were done, we will put a happy kitten petting zoo where your dark fortress used to be for the delight of sickeningly cute children, and import fairies and butterflies to complete the effect. Seriously. Quit sending mindless goons.

Kobolds:

FHhdfijelt! ( crudely drawn image of kobolds being mechanically skinned alive, taxidermed, and made into adorable stuffed animals after attempting invasion.)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 17, 2012, 08:53:10 pm »

I personally think that if perpetual motion machines were possible, we could do anything. And DF provides the perpetual motion generators.

Oh, definitely.  DF water reactors would, among other things, allow us to create energy from nothing and reduce entropy.  No longer beholden to the laws of thermodynamics, any sense of realism gets thrown out the window.  Such things as FTL travel become possible.  Space travel and indefinite life-support systems become trivial, as the waste products your body produces via respiration and digestion can be endlessly reconstituted into the very same air and food they used to be.  Heck, given proper utilization of the energy, we could stave off the heat death of the universe indefinitely.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 17, 2012, 08:54:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not cool bro, not cool. Aside from the stuffed animals I dont like.

.....Do that to the elves. I want a elf-leather kitten.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 214