Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432824 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #1770 on: April 19, 2012, 11:49:06 pm »

Wonder if we could rig something up to DF to turn worldgen data into height maps...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: April 20, 2012, 12:05:01 am »

I don't normally promote the 5 finger discount on software, but old bryce 5 from the mid 90s works great for making height maps. Has options to simulate erosion and all sorts of fun.

Creating the greyscale images for the heightmap is pretty simple, actually, and there are a ton of ways to go about doing that. It's converting it for and getting it into the Skyrim CS that's a challenge. I think it's likely that modders will get fed up enough that someody will come up with an easier work-around. There's hope at least...

I actually intend to look into using Oblivion's TES:CS to produce the heightmaps, and see if the .esp can then be used in the Skyrim CS.

Wonder if we could rig something up to DF to turn worldgen data into height maps...

That is absolutely genius. DF does have the option to export an elevation map, luckily. There'd have to be some way to ensure that other games can then take advantage of this heightmap, though... A program that analyzes these heighmaps and produces an .esp (for TES games, at least. You certainly couldn't easily do that for Source-based games.) based on the data would be amazing!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: April 20, 2012, 12:10:10 am »

I don't normally promote the 5 finger discount on software, but old bryce 5 from the mid 90s works great for making height maps. Has options to simulate erosion and all sorts of fun.

Creating the greyscale images for the heightmap is pretty simple, actually, and there are a ton of ways to go about doing that. It's converting it for and getting it into the Skyrim CS that's a challenge. I think it's likely that modders will get fed up enough that someody will come up with an easier work-around. There's hope at least...
I actually intend to look into using Oblivion's TES:CS to produce the heightmaps, and see if the .esp can then be used in the Skyrim CS.

That is absolutely genius. DF does have the option to export an elevation map, luckily. There'd have to be some way to ensure that other games can then take advantage of this heightmap, though... A program that analyzes these heighmaps and produces an .esp (for TES games, at least. You certainly couldn't easily do that for Source-based games.) based on the data would be amazing!

How did this come up? When this actually happens, you people talking about this will be the first of the furnace operators. And I will be the monarch for restoring peace to society.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: April 20, 2012, 12:11:46 am »

It all started with a discussion about 3d modelling. And was perpetuated in the vacuum of missing conversation...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: April 20, 2012, 12:17:20 am »

Quite right.

I am working in the dark here, as I don't have skyrim or the CS for it.

I do know that the esp data between versions is not conserved. They have different data structures.

I refuse to buy the game, for specific reasons I won't mention, unless it is second hand, and dirt cheap. (Bethesda shit in my cheerios, essentially.)

I might see if I can use the CS as a stand alone without the main game datafiles though, just to experiment with how to get heightmap data in and out.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: April 20, 2012, 12:26:44 am »

Quite right.

I am working in the dark here, as I don't have skyrim or the CS for it.

I do know that the esp data between versions is not conserved. They have different data structures.

I refuse to buy the game, for specific reasons I won't mention, unless it is second hand, and dirt cheap. (Bethesda shit in my cheerios, essentially.)

I might see if I can use the CS as a stand alone without the main game datafiles though, just to experiment with how to get heightmap data in and out.

They went all EA on our asses with how they distributed Skyrim. Not cool, but I had already preordered. It was fun while it lasted, though (until my comp broke down).

EDIT: Wow, a whole day and no posts?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:05:00 pm by HugoLuman »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: April 20, 2012, 10:33:07 pm »

Yup! :D

If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall... It would die of FPS poisoning.
I make Spellcrafts!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: April 20, 2012, 10:38:19 pm »

I concentrated my engineering energies.

I designed a simple to construct modular solar cooker. :)

Sadly, I can't push any data about it on this post, since its on a thumbdrive, and I am posting from a phone at work.

So, instead I will describe it, because it is pure genius in simplicity!

What is it:

A solar cooker, made from 5 sections, rivetted together.

What so special about it:

It is designed to use flat stock! Most people have a very hard time getting a parabolic curvature for the cooker. This design was engineered digitally, and has 11 rivets in each segment. Each segment has 22 holes. This allows each segment to be rivetted to 2 others, completing a circular pattern with 5 segments.

The kicker, is that for the rivet pattern to line up, it can't be flat! It has no choice but to become parabolic as a result of the rivets going in!

Genius!

I made a version previously out of flimsy cardstock using plain old spray adhesive and tinfoil. It is ugly as sin, is not terribly well made (jeeze, its cardboard people! Lol!) But tests earlier today had a 10 deg F increase in temp at the focal point. Not bad for wobbly, inaccurate papercrafts!

Here's a picture of "papercraft beta version"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: April 20, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »

Wow, fascinating work.

The real question is, is this thing more or less effective at cooking than say... fire?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 20, 2012, 10:44:14 pm »

Yup! :D

If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall... It would die of FPS poisoning.

I just had a real life strange mood! Is that so wrong!?

Kodkod:

That is a cardboard beta. Its not nearly effective enough. It was a test of concept, nothing more.

This weekend will see the sheetmetal and rivet version created.  Engineering FTW! Whee!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: April 20, 2012, 10:49:37 pm »

This will improve people's lives! Good work!
Now, the question is could be produce it in the Twelfth Bay?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »

The kobold is here.

And ironically, I cant draw a kobold without having the ear be the left side of the body.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: April 20, 2012, 10:52:20 pm »

I just had a real life strange mood! Is that so wrong!?

Only if "incredibly dwarfy" is wrong!
I make Spellcrafts!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 20, 2012, 10:52:28 pm »

How did this come up? When this actually happens, you people talking about this will be the first of the furnace operators. And I will be the monarch for restoring peace to society.

It's called "On Break". They're in the dining room. Or statue garden - one or the other.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 20, 2012, 10:54:42 pm »

Well fell moods are dangerous. And yesterday i was thinking about building a solar cooker too. What a coincidence.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 214