Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Wasteland 2!  (Read 34023 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wasteland 2!
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2014, 08:10:11 pm »

There will be a modding kit "sometime after release".

No idea how moddable, I assume you can make maps and events and stuff since they're probably using some sort of modding themselves to do it (or just straight up Unity scripting?), the devs have sorta compared it with Bethesda's modding kit but we can only hope.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2014, 12:04:06 pm »

Alright so I finally rolled a not-completely-retarded team (both skill and appearance-wise) and played the first mission, the Radio Tower. I quickly grew very fond of the atmosphere and the quick, dirty and lethal combat system. Once you remember that this is supposed to be a modern version of the old Gold Box games and similar you really start to get into it.

On a side-note, I am wondering why the stockings, garters and panties leg is males only...  ???

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2014, 12:48:13 pm »

Does anyone know if this game has broken toasters?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2014, 12:55:54 pm »

Alright so I finally rolled a not-completely-retarded team (both skill and appearance-wise) and played the first mission, the Radio Tower. I quickly grew very fond of the atmosphere and the quick, dirty and lethal combat system. Once you remember that this is supposed to be a modern version of the old Gold Box games and similar you really start to get into it.

On a side-note, I am wondering why the stockings, garters and panties leg is males only...  ???

Because... *No Inane don't make a joke on changes in gaming culture and media in general when it pertains to gender politics!*

It is possible that they are based on the ones meant to keep your socks up.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2014, 01:06:28 pm »

Does anyone know if this game has broken toasters?

Not only does it have them, toaster repair is a skill on par with surgery and mechanical engineering.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »

They're quite stripperific so I doubt they're meant as a male model

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2014, 02:29:26 pm »

You wear them under your clothes XD

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2014, 03:04:16 pm »

Not in this game, apparently :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »

Not in this game, apparently :)

Why, happy birthday Mr. President

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2014, 05:36:32 pm »

Oh man.  Character creation murders me when I only have one guy to make.  Four?

Four?!

I'm never gonna actually play this game.

Starting off with a wisecracking leader named Tex Steele, a massive native warrior named Brick Slamrock, a sniper named Venom Nightstar, and a russian scientist, Vasiliy.

What'll I make next?  Who fucking knows.  Cowboys.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2014, 11:42:21 pm »

I've played this about 5 hours.

I'm pretty sure I'm still kinda in the tutorial.

Hmm... I'm not sure what to say.

I really like the atmosphere and the ridiculous amount of text and fluff. However, I think the character models and options are so shit.

I really like the sheer number of stats. However, I really despise how they make it so hard to figure out what the current situation needs. Am I supposed to brute force this guy? No. First aid? Computer science? Oh, it's outdoorsman. To figure this out you need to select the person with the skill, activate the skill, and highlight the thing and it'll tell you whether it's possible. Was it so hard to implement a right-click menu showing a list of options?

I enjoy the combat and how many different options there are. It's fluid and splatterific. However, the UI is so freaking garbage it's like a monkey designed it. Why does left click and right click change depending on what you're trying to do? Right click is move most of the time, except when you're trying to pick something up. Then it's left click. Here's a timed puzzle. Make sure to run your entire group through it as fast as possible. Oh, when you need to solve each part of it, make sure to select the individual capable of the task, click on the duty, and click on the target. Make sure you're using the correct type of click by the way. It's left click for selecting and right click for moving, except when you're interacting with something then it's the opposite. OOOH you forgot to unselect your whole group now everyone just shot the door and switched weapons. Sorry.

Seriously, even Fallout 1's UI was way better than this. At least you could move around your party's order and set movement formations so you don't look like a group of retards hugging each other. It's so stupid because when you aggro a group of enemies you're always clumped up unless you manually move everyone around and hope they don't get detected. It's not like you can tell that you're going to get detected either. I even ran through a group of enemies once because I thought they were docile (they were mutant rabbits) but when I walked past two of them suddenly they aggroed. WHY!? I was standing right next to them the whole time with no problems. You can crouch, but if you want to walk you have to stand up, then crouch again. It's shit like this. All these tiny things make you want to throw this game out the window.

AAAARGH. The UI is so freaking terrible. I say this even as a massive lover of the old Fallout games and all those brutal old school RPGs.

I'll probably wait a few days and try again to see if maybe it was just needing to get used to it. My first impressions are not very good though. It's quite likely that I'm just tilted from all the rage and am not looking at this objectively.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2014, 03:17:19 am »

I'll probably wait a few days and try again to see if maybe it was just needing to get used to it.
For what it's worth, at 23 hours played I've found myself to have more or less gotten used to it.  It's definitely counter-intuitive and a bit clunky, and if I go play another similar game for a bit I have to re-learn somewhat when I return, but generally I'm not noticing it anymore.  Hopefully that'll be the case for others too.

The one bit that does still trip me up is switching from squad control to individual control - I often either forget, or think I've clicked the button but it hasn't registered, meaning when I initiate combat what was meant to be one sniper taking a shot ends up my whole party opening fire.

And I *really* wish the party would automatically stop moving when your character(s) detects a land mine for the first time.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2014, 06:43:57 am »

Oh man.  Character creation murders me when I only have one guy to make.  Four?

Four?!

I'm never gonna actually play this game.

Starting off with a wisecracking leader named Tex Steele, a massive native warrior named Brick Slamrock, a sniper named Venom Nightstar, and a russian scientist, Vasiliy.

What'll I make next?  Who fucking knows.  Cowboys.

You could also press RANDOMIZE and become the lord of the irradiated Arizona strip clubs

Coincidentally he's my biggest badass, slickest tongue, and snarkiest fellow all in one. Don't question a man in a thong? He came to the desert with a plan

I love this game so far. It's absolutely been worth the wait and money, just been binge playing it since it downloaded.

Hint: Have all characters begin with a ranged weapon skill. They'll spawn with that weapon. I think energy is OP, but it has nothing on assault rifles.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:50:18 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2014, 09:56:11 am »

Why doesn't the equipped clothing seem to have any effect on the character model in that picture? Have you set them to hide somehow, or have the developers been lazy?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2014, 12:15:24 pm »

Why doesn't the equipped clothing seem to have any effect on the character model in that picture? Have you set them to hide somehow, or have the developers been lazy?

The customization is outright horrible. For character portraits you can either use the ones that come with the game and have to settle for not being able to make the avatar resemble the picture in any way (and also experience that NPCs are using your images) or you can make a snapshot of the character at the time of character creation which is not editable later.
The customization is really, really bad but other than that it's a good game.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13