Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 218809 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z - A Zombie mod for Arma 2
« Reply #525 on: June 20, 2012, 03:43:40 am »

Hotfixes are rolling in daily right now, so the state of things are generally a bit fluid.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 20, 2012, 07:43:16 am »

Hotfixes are rolling in daily right now, so the state of things are generally a bit fluid.

It's a shame that the hotfixes generally add in new untested features and horrendous bugs. I know about as much about game development as I do theoretical physics, but it seems to me that if you're releasing a hotfix for a gamebreaker bug, it's not a good idea to introduce new untested potentially gamebreaking things along side it?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 20, 2012, 08:14:09 am »

Sounds like you are not doing it right.

Stealthed trough the entire Balota army base without attracting a zombie, got a nice AKM for my troubles.

Remember kids, empty tin cans are usefull!

Every time I've tried throwing tin cans, the zombies run directly at me. At this point, I honestly think anyone who suggests that is trolling.

I have no problem having to sneak around zombies... but when out of nowhere one comes running from the other side of a building I"m not anywhere near. That's when I have a problem. And this happens ALL THE TIME. There still seems to be no way to run from zombies effectively either. I've heard about breaking LOS, and I've tried it, but it doesn't work for me. The zombies are still just as fast as ever and still just as persistant as ever. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can't think of any other way to do it from an unarmed starting position.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 20, 2012, 08:28:28 am »

The only way I've ever successfully escaped a zombie is by running through a 2 exit building, the hard part then is not picking up another as you sprint away from agro distance. The zombie will be forced to walk as you run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 20, 2012, 08:50:29 am »

Sounds like you are not doing it right.

Stealthed trough the entire Balota army base without attracting a zombie, got a nice AKM for my troubles.

Remember kids, empty tin cans are usefull!

Every time I've tried throwing tin cans, the zombies run directly at me. At this point, I honestly think anyone who suggests that is trolling.

I have no problem having to sneak around zombies... but when out of nowhere one comes running from the other side of a building I"m not anywhere near. That's when I have a problem. And this happens ALL THE TIME. There still seems to be no way to run from zombies effectively either. I've heard about breaking LOS, and I've tried it, but it doesn't work for me. The zombies are still just as fast as ever and still just as persistant as ever. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can't think of any other way to do it from an unarmed starting position.

Make sure that your not within LOS when throwing a can and aim up, you can do it with smoke grenades too, I once accidently threw a smoke grenade indoors and had to hide behind a wall while a horde of zombies were playing with the grenade. I ended up getting an axe for me troubles.

If you're near the coast, run onto a dock, zombies refuse to step onto docks (It's against their religion) so you can dance all you want. It also works with those concrete extrusions in Cherno and elektro
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 20, 2012, 09:44:55 am »

I think the LOS raycasting is still a tad broken so.

I haven't played latest patch so im not sure they fucked it over.

But yea dont throw cans while infront a zombie just makes your more visable.

You throw it to lure them away
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 20, 2012, 12:07:08 pm »

Totalbiscuit WTF is... DayZ

Notable for two reasons, he plays it with Rocket while conducting an interview, and they both start with makarovs and plenty of ammo. And before anyone says, yes this was filmed after the patch that removed the starting gun, since they find a double barreled shotgun and talk about the changes.

So I guess removing the starting gun was such a great idea that he doesn't play that way?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:47 pm »

Notable for two reasons, he plays it with Rocket while conducting an interview, and they both start with makarovs and plenty of ammo. And before anyone says, yes this was filmed after the patch that removed the starting gun, since they find a double barreled shotgun and talk about the changes.

So I guess removing the starting gun was such a great idea that he doesn't play that way?

He is the creator/admin. If he wants to nuke every city in the game, he can do just that.

Whether people like that or not is a different thing however. :P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 20, 2012, 02:37:40 pm »

So, having a starting gun was reason one...
What's reason two?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 20, 2012, 02:38:39 pm »

He plays it while having an interview with Rocket/playing with him.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 20, 2012, 03:06:39 pm »

Oh. I must be blind.

Although I may not have played the game in some time, it looks like things are actually slowly getting better. I stopped playing 'cause I thought some of the directions it was headed in where a little uninteresting, but his goal of more teamwork sounds promising.

Not that I don't want player versus player at all, it's just, I'd appreciate it much more if the environment was more menacing than the other people playing.

I have to say, though, after watching that video, I absolutely must commend his spirit of "We'll try stuff, and see how it works.", there's just not enough of that going around in games any more.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 20, 2012, 03:14:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure that they had just met up, or that that Rocket spawned them next to each other with weapons for the sake of the interview.

Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 20, 2012, 03:27:01 pm »

The enviroment will never be more menacing than the other people playing. No matter how balls-hard he makes the zombies, how much he decreases food spawns, or how stingy the equipment spawns are. Other players are unpredictable, intelligent, creative and quite a lot of the time evil. That is where the meat of this game lies.

I'm pretty sure that they had just met up, or that that Rocket spawned them next to each other with weapons for the sake of the interview.

I doubt they'd been playing very long at all, since TB didn't seem to know any of the controls (how to run, vault, use inventory, mousewheel, etc).

And the problem is that if Rocket spawned them close together with weapons he's essentially saying that the bit before that, where you spawn on the coast and can't find a weapon for ages or die a handfull of times because you can't defend yourself, isn't what he want's people who don't know about the game to see. Either because it's not fun, or frustrating or whatever. Which begs the question as to why it's in the game at all. I mean he obviously want's a new players experience to be kind of frustrating and difficult, so why not present that in a series specifically designed to give new players a first impression of a game?

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 20, 2012, 04:27:10 pm »

1.7.1.5 is out

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can make flashlights and axes take up utility spaces now so that you can actually carry them!

It seems like a performance update mostly.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 20, 2012, 05:56:36 pm »

A whole load of [FIXED]. Just what I like to see. :)
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 58