Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Many Enemies, Few Dwarves  (Read 4361 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Many Enemies, Few Dwarves
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:52:32 pm »

I'd like to generate a world with a very short history that has many humans elves and goblins, but very few dwarves. I'm planning on not accepting any migrants after the first two waves, but I want to make sure that I don't run out of invading enemies. How should I go about doing this?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Many Enemies, Few Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:00:42 pm »

Should be pretty easy.  Get a fancy world editing tool like perfectworld, and generate an elevation map so that there are very very few neutrally aligned mountains.  Dwarves can only generate there, so their civilizations will all be constrained and clustered and should end up weak or dying out.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:27:17 pm »

is it still possible to embark in a world where dwarves have mostly died out?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »

I believe so, as long as there is still one surviving dwarf civ.

You shouldn't need perfectworld or anything; I'm pretty sure you can directly limit the number of allowed dwarven civilizations in the entity_default raw file.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:29:12 am »

Actually, I think you can even embark in a world where dwarves are extinct. There'll be just your starting seven and no migrants (since your settlement is the only one of your civilization). Or so I seem to recall.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 05:31:27 am »

Actually, I think you can even embark in a world where dwarves are extinct. There'll be just your starting seven and no migrants (since your settlement is the only one of your civilization). Or so I seem to recall.

And your migrants will most likely be "used to tragedy" or "hardened individual" from the start.

I've done this with dragons once.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:04:43 am »

awesome

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:08:11 am »

back before changes to migrants/historical figures, embarking as an extinct civ resulted in two initial waves of migrants and none afterward.

And your migrants will most likely be "used to tragedy" or "hardened individual" from the start.

I doubt it.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:20:36 pm »

I recently genned a world that would meet your criteria.

Dwarves were literally extinct after 50 years.  In just a few I will edit this post with seed and worldgen info from legends mode, and a map picture suggesting where to embark for optimal fun.

You might need to ignore certain rejections though.  Warning: the world is abnormally savage.

I can confirm the 2 initial migrants thing as being what happens with .34.02. (when the world was genned) That's what I have going right now.  Plans are to rebuild dwarven civilization from the ashes, build a massive megastructure, and breed dwarves like crazy, then switch to adv mode with dfhack to keep the fortress intact.  I should then be anle to retire the adventurer, and start a new fortress in that world with a thriving mountainhome to trade with.

Ok, Here's the the worldgen parameters:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here is a map showing civs at year 60, to give you an idea of where to embark:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This will put you on the overlapping territories of goblins, humans, elves, and kobolds.
The most scorpion is the goblin civ. It has 3 demons in charge according to legends. Your gen may vary.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:43:29 pm by wierd »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 04:23:14 pm »

Wait, you can use DF hack to not abandon your fort? I've always wished I could leave a successful fort alive and well when I moved on...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 04:38:01 pm »

Wait, you can use DF hack to not abandon your fort? I've always wished I could leave a successful fort alive and well when I moved on...

Nope. On Toady's to do list.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »

You can use mode to glitch into adc mode.