Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Game that make you feel like a Big Shot!  (Read 10495 times)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game that make you feel like a Big Shot!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 04:23:13 am »

Well, for games that are kind of like Mass Effect, there's the Knights of the Old Republic games. You're not a well-known bigshot like in ME2 or 3 but it's compareable enough in that you can be an utter badass still

FloorBelow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 05:13:20 am »

Dwarf Fortress.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 10:26:26 am »

Tropico 4. It's a city building game but it's still rather personal, and it's nice if you manage to win an honest election 210-15.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 02:57:21 pm »

I'd like to give a little warning about most games, especially regarding Mount & Blade: You only start to feel like a Big Shot when you get decent at the game.  For example, being defeated by the roaving bands and losing some of your stuff in Mount & Blade tends to have the opposite effect.  But when you defeat an entire army single-handly...well, that is pretty cool.

I'll throw the Star Wars: Battlefront games into the mix.  You play as a single soldier.  Most of the time (when not playing the heros), you are playing someone no better than the AI troops.  You are not unique.  You are one of those expendable mooks.  Yet, victory generally only comes through the actions of you the player.  Knowing that you just won the Battle of Endor solely due to your skill, and not the importance of your character template, tends to pick my ego up a fair bit.  I'm not a Stormtrooper: I'm a badass Stormtrooper commander, and I'm coming for you Luke!

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 04:12:28 pm »

The first game that came to mind is Escape Velocity Nova. The game itself is decent but old school (2d combat/trading in space), but what i liked (and what made me feel like a badass) is the story. There are different stories you can follow, with different endings, and it's all well written SF describing your ascension.

Or at least i remember it as such.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 04:19:36 pm »

If you have 2 players, I'd highly recommend Splinter Cell Conviction. When you've just pulled off a sweet double assassination, dropped chandeliers, set up some crazy crossfire and mangled a dozen guards with a well-timed, one-chance-only team tag execution, you both feel like such crazy bauses.

Also, N, a little bit. Dodging rockets, lasers firing a millimetre over your head and shit is pretty sweet.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 04:20:20 pm »

Painkiller and Serious Sam games are both just one big power fantasy moments. Enemies come in dozens as you mow them down with plethora of high powered weaponry.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »

I have to say the game that made me feel the most bad ass was the first Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, playing as an evil female.

You could just be so MEAN and no one could do anything about it. It was so fun to start a fight with dialog. As soon as the dialog ended the game would pause and you could set up your attack queue. Force jump at this guy for the instant kill, furry the guy next to him, stun the other two. Unpause and watch the mayhem.

I do not recommend Tropico or Mount and Blade in this case. Plenty of things happen in those games that put you in your place. You can become a big shot but it takes a while.

How about Populas (the "newest" one) or Black and White. You can always get mad and just abuse your people.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »

Just Cause 2 is the absolute best game for this ever.

It's shooty, yeah.  But it lets you do things like lure an enemy patrol truck to an airport, then attach their truck to a departing airplane with your grappling hook.  Also, what other shooters let you pick up machine gun emplacements and haul them around, complete with infinite ammo?

You also get to blow up all the things.

If you enjoyed GTA but wanted more, this is the way to go. If you just want to feel like a freaking awesome guy doing freaking awesome things without any reason or motivation beyond freaking awesome, you can't beat Just Cause 2. There's no more awesome feeling than flying high into the air, seeing a random plane, skydiving into its path, grappling onto it, taking it over, crashing it into whatever object you feel appropriate, and then using the grappling hook with your parachute to escape the angry natives. The plot is Grade A Dumb, but, in spite of that, some of the missions are pretty fun.

Did I mention there's a giant island to explore, with thousands of things to blow up?

What about Saint's Row 2 and 3, where the motivation behind nearly everything was nothing. Nothing at all?
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 04:39:08 pm »

As soon as I saw this thread I immediately thought of Red Faction: guerrilla. This game will definitely make you feel like a badass. And once you get far enough to unlock cheats, you can basically bat cars around like golf balls, destroy buildings in one hit. it's just a fun game to play if you want to feel powerful. plus the people love you.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 05:38:20 pm »

Just Cause 2 is the absolute best game for this ever.

It's shooty, yeah.  But it lets you do things like lure an enemy patrol truck to an airport, then attach their truck to a departing airplane with your grappling hook.  Also, what other shooters let you pick up machine gun emplacements and haul them around, complete with infinite ammo?

You also get to blow up all the things.

If you enjoyed GTA but wanted more, this is the way to go. If you just want to feel like a freaking awesome guy doing freaking awesome things without any reason or motivation beyond freaking awesome, you can't beat Just Cause 2. There's no more awesome feeling than flying high into the air, seeing a random plane, skydiving into its path, grappling onto it, taking it over, crashing it into whatever object you feel appropriate, and then using the grappling hook with your parachute to escape the angry natives. The plot is Grade A Dumb, but, in spite of that, some of the missions are pretty fun.

Did I mention there's a giant island to explore, with thousands of things to blow up?

This, so damn much. Just Cause 2 is and always will be my go-to for absolutely pointless, destructive fun. It somehow managed to create the perfect storm, like a living action movie, except it lasts for dozens of hours and the plot can be ignored entirely.

Plus, your best mode of transportation is to repeatly grapple towards the horizon, briefly open your parachute, grapple again, etc. You can get up to absolutely absurd speeds and climb up vertical cliffs. Seriously, it's like you are some sort of mix of Spiderman, James Bond, and Bruce Willis. I once spent four hours attaching cars to commercial airliners as they were taking off, hopping inside, and climbing out onto the roof at cruising altitude. As mentioned, you could steal military jets and ghostride. One of the missions had you steal a jet so that you could shoot down a bloody ICBM. When you are being chased by enemy vehicles, you can climb onto the roof of your own, use your grapple to connect two of them, and watch as they crash into each other. Some of the best fun I had was sneaking into military bases with colonels, planting demopacks on as many target buildings as possible, sneaking onto a roof, sniping the colonel, then detonating everything and running away. I really could gush for hours about how perfectly executed this style of freeform destruction was.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 08:01:42 pm »

Once you get a hang of what to do and what not to do – which is not very hard – Rome: Total War. You can just endlessly trash enemy armies that by rights should destroy you to the last man and you don't even have to be very good at RTS games to do it, since you can pause at will. And from everything I've heard, this applies to most other games in that series.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 09:19:51 pm »

Star Wars: Jedi Academy.

Also, either of the most recent Batman games.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 06:03:57 am »

~Mai ole siia~
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:06:41 pm by Mongol13524 »
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 07:20:29 am »

company of heroes or sins of a solar empire against an easy or medium AI if you're decent. There's nothing like wiping out an entire civilization with your massive fleet or bombarding an enemy stronghold with howitzer artillery, watching their limbs fall from the sky! muahahahhahaha
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3