Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 364

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 644988 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1710 on: April 06, 2016, 08:03:04 pm »

Crafts aren't available in the raws, and are instead hardcoded.

You can make a custom hat called a crown, if you wish. Here's a quick example one for you. Just put it inside of the item file, then add it into entities through the permitted item token.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_CROWN]
[NAME:crown:crowns]
[LAYER:COVER]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[COVERAGE:25]
[LAYER_SIZE:10]
[LAYER_PERMIT:100]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]
[HARD]
[METAL]

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 06, 2016, 10:04:54 pm »

So now I kinda want to make a fallen angel semi-megabeast that spreads secrets kidnaps spouses and creates nephilim children, any way I could do that with the way nightcreatures work? preferably the nephilim would have some way of integrating into society.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: April 07, 2016, 01:36:59 am »

Kidnaps spouses, yes. The game gets a little confused when there are more than just two castes in a kidnapping beast - the kidnapper and the spouse - and so if the children should be named nephilim, and the children are always the same caste as he kidnapper, then the kidnapper caste name could be fallen angel, using "nephilim" as the name of the underage children. They would grow

I've been trying to get a creature to know and spread secrets, like as an interaction rather than a contagious disease, innately, and failed on all attempts. I recall someone (can't recall who) saying they had done it, but they aren't sharing I guess.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 07, 2016, 02:26:09 am »

Closest I know of at the moment is that a [SUPERNATURAL] creature that has taken a leadership role using its [POWER] token may write books about secrets if the secret and the creature both share a [SPHERE], which is [SPHERE:DEATH] for the default necromancy.

At least, I think that's how it goes. I did once have a custom demonic skeleton back in version 34 that did nothing for hundreds of years but write about how great it was, with the occasional book that shared the darkest insights into the secrets of life and death, but no-one seemed to care much.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 07, 2016, 02:30:18 am »

Do they have to be POWER critters that took leadership of civs? I tried just making something supernatural, and no dice; just being supernatural doesn't give them access to secrets it seems.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 07, 2016, 02:33:20 am »

I don't actually know, to be honest.

The wiki says that being supernatural should give it knowledge of the secrets. But maybe not the behaviour to record it?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 07, 2016, 02:39:05 am »

Playing as one in adventure mode you should have access to them, though, right? I'e no luck so far.

Just tried in adventure mode, and it doesn't seem that a creature can use secrets just because it's supernatural and a power
I make Spellcrafts!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 07, 2016, 04:57:26 pm »

I did a bit of testing, and it would seem that not only do spire-demons have some sort of monopoly on SUPERNATURAL (presumably by way of either the GENERATED or UNIQUE_DEMON tags,) but only the ones that rule goblins get its benefits. I tried adventuring as one (by way of some .exe hackery,) then retiring him, and he didn't have access to any secrets. What's more, it would seem that spire-demons can't actually use their knowledge. I made a rainbow-aligned secret that turns the learner into a horse, gave all spire-demons the RAINBOWS sphere, and none of them changed, despite knowing the secret. I even found one in person, just to see if world-gen was being finicky.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 07, 2016, 10:20:15 pm »

I want to have crowns be common clothing for a civilization, but cant seem to find them in the raws or any other crafts, am I missing something? or do I have to make a crown item in clothing

entity_default add the line    [HELM:ITEM_HELM_CROWN:COMMON] to any race. i think a crown is a helm rite?
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: April 07, 2016, 10:51:30 pm »

I did a bit of testing, and it would seem that not only do spire-demons have some sort of monopoly on SUPERNATURAL (presumably by way of either the GENERATED or UNIQUE_DEMON tags,) but only the ones that rule goblins get its benefits. I tried adventuring as one (by way of some .exe hackery,) then retiring him, and he didn't have access to any secrets. What's more, it would seem that spire-demons can't actually use their knowledge. I made a rainbow-aligned secret that turns the learner into a horse, gave all spire-demons the RAINBOWS sphere, and none of them changed, despite knowing the secret. I even found one in person, just to see if world-gen was being finicky.

That's unfortunate. Maybe there are other ways to get creatures to know secrets innately, though.
I make Spellcrafts!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 08, 2016, 12:18:01 am »

That's unfortunate. Maybe there are other ways to get creatures to know secrets innately, though.
It would be something of a holy grail, seeing as there's no other way to give them innate syndromes (with the possible exception of DFHack.)

On another note, does the forcing-caste/creature-trick for entity-positions still work?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 08, 2016, 01:34:13 pm »

Hello, I was thinking of modding in some prehistoric creatures, and I've got some specific questions. 

One of the creatures I'd like to add is the Kelenken, a large type of terror bird with a skull the size of a man's torso.  Fossils suggest that they had a relatively weak bite force, and may have killed prey by slamming it with their heads and neck muscles rather than cutting or piercing and causing food to bleed out.  Is there a way to do that in DF? 

Another one is the Sebecus, a land crocodilian with serrated teeth.  Is there a way to do serrated teeth in DF?  I noticed that sharks just have normal teeth.  One thought is to make the teeth out of a sharper material than normal, but I'm not exactly sure how materials are specified in creature files. 

There was a dinosaur called Gastonia which had a row of blades running down both its sides.  According to one theory, when the gastonia turned its body, the blades would have overlapped like a pair of scissors.  I doubt there's a way to do scissors in DF, but is there a way to make a natural attack that's blade-like instead of puncturing? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 08, 2016, 03:23:13 pm »

Hello, I was thinking of modding in some prehistoric creatures, and I've got some specific questions. 

One of the creatures I'd like to add is the Kelenken, a large type of terror bird with a skull the size of a man's torso.  Fossils suggest that they had a relatively weak bite force, and may have killed prey by slamming it with their heads and neck muscles rather than cutting or piercing and causing food to bleed out.  Is there a way to do that in DF? 

Another one is the Sebecus, a land crocodilian with serrated teeth.  Is there a way to do serrated teeth in DF?  I noticed that sharks just have normal teeth.  One thought is to make the teeth out of a sharper material than normal, but I'm not exactly sure how materials are specified in creature files. 

There was a dinosaur called Gastonia which had a row of blades running down both its sides.  According to one theory, when the gastonia turned its body, the blades would have overlapped like a pair of scissors.  I doubt there's a way to do scissors in DF, but is there a way to make a natural attack that's blade-like instead of puncturing?
You can definitely demote the bird's bite attack to SECONDARY (and maybe nerf it as well) and give it a blunt attack that requires the head.

I'm not sure about teeth, unless you want to give them a better max edge rating.

For the dinosaur, edged attacks are definitely a thing... check out the existing bite and scratch attacks.  In this case, the attacking bodypart would be the upper body.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1723 on: April 08, 2016, 03:25:39 pm »

You'd have to add a blunt attack that uses the head - I'd recommend simply copying the file for a humanoids "punch" attack, changing it to use the head and adding a velocity modifier (the token is [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:X] where X is the modifier itself) to make it somewhat more powerful if the creature is supposed to have stronger neck muscles for the attack itself.

I think you can do something like with the vanilla trolls. They define their tusks and horns as follows:
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HORN:HORN_TEMPLATE]
So I think you could instead use
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TOOTH:METAL_TEMPLATE]
Or alternatively define a custom material template that has similar or higher [MAX_EDGE] values to something like iron or steel.
You'd have to add an attack with [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:X], where X would be something above 100 - the token defines the contact area of the attack, measured in % of the body part's volume - piercing attacks in weapons in general have smaller contact areas, whereas slashing attacks have bigger contact areas, so from what I can tell it'd work similarly with natural attacks.

Grondus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:NERD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 09, 2016, 11:37:47 pm »

Hey guys. I've actually got two questions, if anyone is willing to help: is there a way to make a two headed quadruped creature? I'm trying to make a hellhoundish sort of creature. I tried basing it off the raws from the ettin, but the tag in that seems to only work for humanoids, and the hydra tag doesn't seem to be usable for less than 7 heads.

And the second one is, can anyone tell me how to give a creature something like stone skin? I've looked at some of the vanilla creatures like the ironman, but I can't quite figure it out. (closest I got just made the whole thing into granite)
Quoth the raven...
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 364