Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 367

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 656739 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2730 on: July 22, 2017, 04:01:35 pm »

So, can someone explain why these creatures don't generate in the world then? I thought it was because water, but I guess not

Will need to wait for someone with more raws experience than me, but comparing your entity file with mine, you've got them as site_controllable, which I don't. Is worldgen set to reject worlds without playable races? Perhaps worldgen considers sites in the ocean as unplayable? The only other thing I see is that I usually combine exclusive_start with settlement_biome. As I said, the first site is always on the coast, after that they go out to sea.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:04:01 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Immunity!

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sleepy-Eyed Slime-Mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: July 22, 2017, 04:04:09 pm »

Scourge, are those from an edited save-game or the base raws? I realise how silly this is to ask, but sometimes one can forget and accidentally alter the former...
I'm not seeing anything I'd recognise as off, though, sorry... Are there other defines necessary for them to appear in world-gen, maybe site-specific?

overseer - Ah, no, don't worry about it. My english is ever a work in progress! :)
Right back to it, so if I'm understanding how it works... I could edit the raws, add a child tag, and then my fort would be able to have domesticated GCS, but nobody else?
And if I wanted them to be open to any fort domesticating them I'd need to have the defaults so edited... In which case, whether or not civs had domesticated them would be determined at world-gen.

Thanks! I've been pondering - for years, really - the idea of kind of an 'early dwarven days' mod. Given the work that'd take, and my own lack of experience, I've busied myself with trying to work with, well, floofy spoders. ;D On that note, thanks so much - I think you've given me everything I need to start mucking about with it!

(And in closing, clearly the best idea is to create merfolk anti-oxygen shielding bubbles. Dwarven tested, merperson-approved!)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: July 22, 2017, 09:03:56 pm »

Trying to figure out how to make a humanoid creature with its flesh made of rock, but its organs would be like a regular creature's. Any clues, or something?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: July 22, 2017, 09:46:48 pm »

Scourge, are those from an edited save-game or the base raws? I realise how silly this is to ask, but sometimes one can forget and accidentally alter the former...
I'm not seeing anything I'd recognise as off, though, sorry... Are there other defines necessary for them to appear in world-gen, maybe site-specific?

Right back to it, so if I'm understanding how it works... I could edit the raws, add a child tag, and then my fort would be able to have domesticated GCS, but nobody else?
And if I wanted them to be open to any fort domesticating them I'd need to have the defaults so edited... In which case, whether or not civs had domesticated them would be determined at world-gen.

Those are from the base raws, yes

And that second part sounds about right

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: July 23, 2017, 12:54:16 am »

How do you make a creature prefer biting over other attacks?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: July 23, 2017, 01:06:31 am »

In theory? Using the ATTACK_PRIORITY token. In practice? You really can't, attacks of opportunity (those blue exclamation marks in the adventure mode attack interface) always overrule that system. You could have eighty billion different variants of "biting", but that's such a shameful slapdash garbage solution that if you end up using that and then credit me for the advice anywhere, I'm going to furiously deny all involvement.

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: July 24, 2017, 02:49:24 pm »

Disclaimer, I am very new and ignorant of how to do modding

Question, I want to make a custom race, and I need some clarification first before I'll ask specifics.

1a) Making a custom race to use in Fortress modes generally means rewriting over the dwarf in the creature_standard.txt right?

2a) Doing this doesn't effect worlds already generated or will it?

Now for the actual specifics

1b) I want to make a race of slimes, think the pink ones from Slime Rancher, most likely a little bigger..Most likely ending the actual size to around 120000 since being a 2ft sphere gives a lot of volume. Which begs the question of if they'd be able to wear dwarf sized equipment or if we will have to change them to being able to make large sized stuff. Also is the size too big for a playable race or it's alright...because I did want them being more around 3ft...buuuut that'd be 400000 in size which I figured is too much.

2b) I know there is a tag for a creature to be able to use and wield items but I don't know if appendages are required. Most likely, it'd be stuff that covers upper/lower body only since they'll lack everything else.

3b) Does biting require teeth to latch on or nah?

4b) How would I go about creating their body material? I was thinking, it will be of two layers, one is the shell and the other is the rest of the body...so...I'd have to use skin/muscle with different values to them?

5b) Going about reproduction, should they be able to have both male/female tags and have the whole race's size set to a single static number so when offspring are born, they'll be full sized? Because I don't recall DF having tags for asexual reproduction.

This is all I have to ask so far, I kinda don't know what else that'd be important to ask

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: July 24, 2017, 03:39:05 pm »

You don't need to replace dwarves, or touch creature_standard.txt at all. If your new entity has the tag [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] you get to choose it in Fortress mode. You might want to copy a lot of the dwarf creature and entity entries for your first couple of tries though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:41:11 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: July 24, 2017, 03:52:00 pm »

You don't need to replace dwarves, or touch creature_standard.txt at all. If your new entity has the tag [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] you get to choose it in Fortress mode. You might want to copy a lot of the dwarf creature and entity entries for your first couple of tries though.

Where should I put the txt file for my blob race then?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: July 24, 2017, 03:55:26 pm »

In raw. So long as it has the right headers, df picks it up automatically. Makes it very easy to handle having all your modded stuff in a separate file.

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: July 24, 2017, 05:28:11 pm »

In raw. So long as it has the right headers, df picks it up automatically. Makes it very easy to handle having all your modded stuff in a separate file.

Last question for you at least, personally, you think the 400000 size is alright or is it too big?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: July 24, 2017, 05:57:35 pm »

Last question for you at least, personally, you think the 400000 size is alright or is it too big?
Well, body size is density, and you're making, what, slime blobs? That's a blob which is twice the density of an adult minotaur and almost as dense as an elephant. I imagine a slime blob would have to be several times bigger than an elephant to achieve a similar density. So, dunno, how big do you imagine them to be?

For reference the giant sponge, which I imagine is kind of similar has a body size of 50,000.

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: July 24, 2017, 06:08:04 pm »

Well, body size is density, and you're making, what, slime blobs? That's a blob which is twice the density of an adult minotaur and almost as dense as an elephant. I imagine a slime blob would have to be several times bigger than an elephant to achieve a similar density. So, dunno, how big do you imagine them to be?

For reference the giant sponge, which I imagine is kind of similar has a body size of 50,000.

Oh shit, I was thinking size = volume alone for some reason

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: July 24, 2017, 06:32:40 pm »

Because it is. "size is density" is 100% wrong.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: July 24, 2017, 06:43:45 pm »

Because it is. "size is density" is 100% wrong.
Oh well, there you go. Will stop answering questions now.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 367