Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breeding intelligent creatures?  (Read 2960 times)

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding intelligent creatures?
« on: June 09, 2012, 03:54:15 pm »

Is it possible? I have captured 2 female goblin thieves and 1 male thief with cage traps in my fortress, is it in anyway possible to breed them? I'm guessing it's not possible but I'm just checking. I need more target practice for my dwarf's. >:D
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding intelligent creatures?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:16 pm »

There was that one merpeople farm but I think they were moded and have been patched...

And I dont think you can have them in cages, they have to be out of them or something. Im gonna guess you cant though.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »

Nope, can't breed goblins.

However, what you can do is pit them in a room full of wooden traps, and train them up to legendary in their combat skills. I haven't had much success with thieves, but other gobbos will be able to block or dodge any bolts you shoot at them, assuming you leave them with their weapons.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:46:08 am »

How about Giant toads? I managed to capture one... I just need another of opposite sex... Will it work? I don't see why not this time as it appears on the animals screen. Whereas my new trolls don't :(
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:17:58 am »

To see if a creature will breed, check the raws for it. Without a [CHILD:1] entry it will not breed. The number stands for the amount of time it takes it to mature, 1 being a year. In my version, they will not breed, sadly. Modding the raws is not that difficult. If I can mod a GCS to be a pet, trainable, and breed, anyone can.:)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:29:59 am by Fredd »
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:19:38 am »

trolls are either intelligent or hostile, no breeding or taming

toads don't have a child tag
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:23:52 am »

Tamed intelligent creatures should breed. I recall that Masterwork has a dwarven caste which can be bought tame that gives birth to dwarves. Useable dwarves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 10:35:11 am »

There is a citizen tag that I found using runesmith, which designates that the Dwarves of the fort,and tamed animals with the Child tag are the only ones that will breed. Wild animals sometimes will, but rarely
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 10:38:54 am »

I've never heard of anyone breeding trolls or goblins. As to the dwarves thing: masterwork is a mod, let us keep to the parts all games have in common. I'm not sure about animal people, troglodites don't. Crundles do, but they only have can-learn, not intelligent afaik and afaiu
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »

Yep, gobbos don't breed (which makes them atleast a little more civilized than dwarves. They don't want to have children if they would end up living in that dump we call a dwarven fortress)

Making them breedable with some modification shouldn't be too hard since even I managed to do it a few months ago. Perhaps also make them wartrainable while you are at it. Just imagine a pack of trained, naked goblins loyally following your militia. (It was creepy having a few green babies crawling around the fort and following my militia commander. I didn't manage to get them to wield weapons so I just replaced my guard dogs with chained, naked goblins:)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 12:55:12 pm »

Tigermen are the closest you can get in fortress mode. [CAN_LEARN], [CAN_SPEAK], but [PET]. Dunno if they are still in.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 01:43:46 pm »

I've never heard of anyone breeding trolls or goblins. As to the dwarves thing: masterwork is a mod, let us keep to the parts all games have in common. I'm not sure about animal people, troglodites don't. Crundles do, but they only have can-learn, not intelligent afaik and afaiu
1. Masterwork is a mod, yes, but that makes a point about how the game works.
2. [INTELLIGENT] is just [CAN_SPEAK]+[CAN_LEARN].
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.