Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: For Glory and Adamantine: Steelbeard II (34.11) OVERSEER LOTTO ACTIVE  (Read 22271 times)

Teh_Duke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For Glory and Adamantine: Steelbeard II (34.11) OVERSEER LOTTO ACTIVE
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53:39 am »

Sorry I'v been out of town for the last week. I have the save now and I should have something out tommorow.

Teh_Duke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2012, 08:24:11 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Life Has been good since moving to SteelBeard. Work was often hard to come by in the mountinhome, for who sought the skills of an Armor smith when the main exports  to the outposts where stacks of prepared fly brain and barrels of bats blood? I have my own room and get to spend my days working the metal of Armok in the forges.

Upon the Turn of 106 I was hunting through the booze stockpile for a  barrel of swamp whiskey  to toast my good fortune and the new year. when I saw Urist Mcmayor approaching me. His beady bronze eyes fixed on mine. That gaze held me there. In the the drinking hall I had never believed tales of Urist being a great intimidator, for in the meeting halls he always had a talent for giving the right complement at the right time.

He bid that I follow him where he then lead to his office. As he lowered his portly frame into his office throne I couldn't help but to notice a superior Image of Splint striking a menacing pose over a cowering kobold and its matching twin over the mayor's bed. “now then, I suppose you're wondering why I have brought you to my office.”

This cut through my thoughts like a large silver dagger. This puzzled me for surly if I had been deemed culpable for violating a production order or a export ban the first I would know of it would be the Captain of the guard chaining me in the jail as if I was some form of animal.  “wipe that look of your face Its not what your thinking. I want to offer you a grand role In the Fortress, I want you to be the next overseer.” Shocked  I stammered “bbut all I know are the forges; it's where I'm happy. I say leave all that ruling stuff to the nobles .”  The mayor pulled out a flask of swamp whiskey from his coffer and said slyly “of course there are always perks.”

Later when I made my back to my room I found it occupied by a hauler. When questioned he handed me a note Directing me to one of the the luxury rooms below the main housing blocks. The note said that this was to be my new quarters and already parchments and slabs where piled high upon the table. Then the the thought hit me harder than a war hammer, the king was arriving from the mountinhome soon. If things aren't In order by then It would be the hammerer for me. I groaned It would take a lot of swamp whiskey to get through this

My first point of call was to take the large scroll labeled stocks and to try and find someone to explain to me how In HFS I was suppose to make sense of it. After asking a few dwarfs for directions I tracked down Corai who explained the numbers to me. Armed with this knowledge I also wondered the Fortress taking In all the details that I had oft neglected In my work.

The things that jump to my attention are first the lack of weapons grade metals. Though there are two visible layers of granite and It would be a surprise if there wasn't any cassiterite to be found within it. Second is the lack of ammunition though I've been eying that galena ore but then that would also produce a load of lead to get rid of, though I have noticed the lack of tables in the meeting hall. Third the food stockpiles are a little low for my liking. Lastly is The reliance on wood for the forges but a quick overview of overland stocks suggests that this will not be a problem for a while.

I mused over this for a while. The state of things could far more dire but there still was much work to be done. For now food and sleep where in order. After which the task of finding the head mechanic to explain where the important levers are located. Most of them are explained in the scattered notes left on my table, but I couldn't find anything that described the controls for the bridge that allowed access to the trade depot. With this missing I couldn't help to wonder what else had been omitted from my notes.

As I walked the hallways a peasant ran towards me and gasped “ something has been sighted in the caverns.” she struggled for breath. “and its big”.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2012, 08:23:24 pm »

Not a bad start. I suppose the main issue is going to be housing and feeding all these damned immigrants. You may need to cull some of them to make sure we get the full Kings retinue or indeed the King at all. I completely failed on training the military, instead I just made them into adamantine exoskeletons since the God-metal is gonna do all the work here. Some of them are decent fighters, the rest are expendable. Things are really going too well for us; there's not enough shake-up going on to make things really interesting. Though the 'big' thing you mentioned sounds deliciously crunchable fun.

The only reason I didn't kill anyone is that the family trees stretched ridiculously far and I didn't want to risk a tantrum spiral. I couldn't kill the ones without family because they were simply too valuable as either military or future military. I took some precautions to keep people happy (including adamantine road sections in the dining room) but I strongly suspect the fort will eventually either emo itself into a tantrum spiral, or go completely inbred and die out.

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2012, 06:23:15 pm »

bump?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]