Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490745 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #780 on: September 26, 2013, 05:44:56 pm »

I find it fascinating that people feel so strongly about photon's mass. Nobody ever makes larum about any other of its actually mind-bending properties.
It behaves as both wave and a particle? Roger that. There can be infinite amount of them in one spot? Ten-four! They have no invariant mass? MISTER YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR GIVE ME BACK MY CHILDHOOD!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 26, 2013, 05:47:53 pm »

I'm not sure if any particles don't behave as both wave and particle.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 26, 2013, 06:40:21 pm »

AFAIK none don't.

Also, regarding photons' mass, what I have trouble to wrap my head around is them actually having mass at all. I understand it's relativistic mass, but that's a weird kind of mass.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 26, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »

This is exactly my point.

I find it fascinating that people feel so strongly about photon's mass. Nobody ever makes larum about any other of its actually mind-bending properties.
It behaves as both wave and a particle? Roger that. There can be infinite amount of them in one spot? Ten-four! They have no invariant mass? MISTER YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR GIVE ME BACK MY CHILDHOOD!
1. read above
2. I feel the answer to this stems from the "mass or no mass" thing. If it has mass, must it not it also have volume?
3. photons are very, very fast, and obviously very small. Their inertia can be measured because they are so fast, despite therm being so small. If a single photon were to be slowed down enough to be weighed with other methods, our equipment would not be sensitive enough to detect it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 26, 2013, 09:17:28 pm »

1. ?
2. Not necessarily. Note especially electrons, whose volume has so far always been measured as "too small to be measured with our equipment".
3. Photons can't be slowed down, as they have no rest mass and thus always move at the speed of light. Photons' inertia are measured through their wavelength and such, not through momentum as understood in macroscopic objects. Photons being "slowed" are not actually slowed, but bouncing between particles that capture and re-emit them. The photons themselves are always going at the speed of light.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 27, 2013, 09:57:01 am »

But they do everything that an object with traditional mass does, except for the stuff we can't measure.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 27, 2013, 10:19:19 am »

It might be more accurate to say that things we think of as particles exhibit photon like properties rather than the other way around - wave particle duality and all that. De Broglie first came across it via interference patterns in electron beams, after all.

This is going to rapidly advance to the whole "collapsing waveform" idea isnt it?
This is a blank sig.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 27, 2013, 10:29:36 am »

I remember seeing an article on two scientists managing to "see" a wave/particle in its dual state. Somehow.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 27, 2013, 10:47:38 am »

That is probably like you CAN measure both position and momentum of a particle at the same time - just with finite precisions.

"Weak measurements" can provide a way to tell that a particle most likely went through e.g. left slit and still not completely destroy interference pattern with the smaller part of waveform that "went" through right slit.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 27, 2013, 01:19:12 pm »

I seem to recall scientists establishing an upper-bound on photon density per unit of space sometime 3 years ago, before the photons actually DO interact with each other, and self scatter, and other odd things, despite being point particles.

Let me see if I can find it.

Not the best source... but meh. If it piques your curiosity, it at least helps you to dig through better publications to find authors and experiments.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 27, 2013, 03:23:58 pm »

But they do everything that an object with traditional mass does, except for the stuff we can't measure.

Except that they go without fail at a speed that particles with rest mass can't under any circumstances except given a nonsensical (infinite) amount of energy, and they go at that speed even when their momentum is arbitrarily near zero.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:26:22 pm by Putnam »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: September 27, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »

Did ya hear? The very first soil sample by Curiosity has returned results of 2% water composition, and it's thought to be fairly representative. Here is the journal paper (http://www.sciencemag.org/content/341/6153/1238937), and a bunch of other articles, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130926143143.htm, http://news.discovery.com/space/this-scoop-of-mars-soil-is-two-percent-water-130926.htm, http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/curiositys-sam-instrument-finds-water-and-more-in-surface-sample/#.UkTIayCHMx1, and a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNQfVYQkA6Y on the subject.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 01, 2013, 12:27:53 pm »

Lightsabers are real

No not really, but apparently actually turned light solid, or something like that. Sounds like fake or misunderstood science though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #794 on: October 01, 2013, 12:33:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:00:53 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 339