Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489820 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #825 on: October 08, 2013, 03:01:21 pm »

Conceivably, but it would probably be more efficient to just use that mass to build a Dyson Sphere around a star that already exists.
I was assuming those two would go hand in hand. No sense making a new star if you aren't gonna harness the energy. Though, if we are just gonna be star hopping anyways, it probably would be more efficient to go from star to star, even with this technology, and only if we had to choose between the two. Doing them both together could theoretically replace stars that go out, reducing the need for immediate outward expansion. It could also be used to refuel old stars and keep them going longer. Imagine if we dumped all the other matter in this solar system into the sun (excluding earth and it's moon, of course). How much longer would that keep it going?

Stop me if I'm rambling.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:05:40 pm by Lagslayer »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 08, 2013, 03:05:16 pm »

Regardless, Stellar Husbandry is going to be one of those "man this intergalactic utopia is boring, we should mess with physics" projects.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 08, 2013, 03:11:01 pm »

Especially when we can probably fuse the stuff ourselves more efficiently. After all, herding so much gas kinda requires some degree of gravity manipulation.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 08, 2013, 03:45:52 pm »

You can only ever add a few solar masses to a star without collapsing it into a black hole. It would still be possible to extract energy out of matter you throw into a black hole* but no shiny object any more.

*Same way as you can extract energy from water moving from high place to low.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 08, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure Betelgeuse is a feeeeew solar masses larger than the sun. You know, just a tad. >_> So it'd be more than a "adding a few solar masses" to the sun to make it a black hole.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 08, 2013, 04:13:55 pm »

Imagine if we dumped all the other matter in this solar system into the sun (excluding earth and it's moon, of course). How much longer would that keep it going?

Stop me if I'm rambling.

Not much difference. The Sun is 99% of the Solar System by mass anyway.

I'm pretty sure Betelgeuse is a feeeeew solar masses larger than the sun. You know, just a tad. >_> So it'd be more than a "adding a few solar masses" to the sun to make it a black hole.
[/quote]

Smallest possible stellar mass for black hole formation is 3 to 4 x MSun. Most are around 10 solar masses. In theory you could have one of any size, but for one to form from star death, we are talking large mass stars only.
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 08, 2013, 05:34:29 pm »

Black holes form in our atmosphere all the time. It's just that they evaporate almost instantly afterward.

Only really big ones are stable, and all eventually will evaporate.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 08, 2013, 05:49:03 pm »

Imagine if we dumped all the other matter in this solar system into the sun (excluding earth and it's moon, of course). How much longer would that keep it going?

Stop me if I'm rambling.

Smallest possible stellar mass for black hole formation is 3 to 4 x MSun. Most are around 10 solar masses. In theory you could have one of any size, but for one to form from star death, we are talking large mass stars only.

Fixed your quote tags :P

Anyway, if we're already assuming starforging and harvesting, we can probably assume that we'll be somehow sucking off heavy elements as they're fused and using them as raw materials to repair damage to the Sphere, allowing us to continue to add hydrogen.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 08, 2013, 10:12:12 pm »

Stop me if I'm rambling.
Dumping mass onto a star shortens its life span. Refuelling the Sun without also removing the spent material from the core is not going to work.

Black holes form in our atmosphere all the time. It's just that they evaporate almost instantly afterward.

Only really big ones are stable, and all eventually will evaporate.
Has there been any recently found evidence of micro black hole creation/evaporation?
Dissapearing micro black holes should produce a distinct signature flashes that to my knowledge have never been observed as of yet. They certainly haven't found any at CERN.
From what I understand, Hawking radiation is a semi-classical argument, so on the micro scale it might very well not work, and the micro-holes might no longer evaporate.
The point being stating it as fact without conclusive evidence might be a bit of a stretch.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 08, 2013, 10:16:01 pm »

Regardless, all matter in the universe has not been consumed by black holes, so we can assume there is some element preventing rampant stable singularity formation.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 08, 2013, 10:21:33 pm »

Regardless, all matter in the universe has not been consumed by black holes, so we can assume there is some element preventing rampant stable singularity formation.
Maybe the black holes themselves reach critical mass and explode.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:23:27 pm by Lagslayer »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 08, 2013, 10:25:00 pm »

Doubt it. From what we know, galaxies maintain their gravitational stability through having supermassive black holes at the center. I do not know of us having found any exploded/exploding galaxies.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 08, 2013, 10:30:55 pm »

Well, if it would take big bang proportions of matter to reach that critical mass, we would have to wait for all this stuff to collapse back together. So I'm not sure how well we could test this theory right now. Maybe with a greater understanding of sub-atomic particle physics, it could be mathematically simulated. As much as the matter gets squeezed together under so much gravity, we'd probably have to go more than a few layers down farther than we are now.

Basically, we would have to look for the point where the forces of repulsion between particles start to overcome the forces of gravity shoving them together.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 08, 2013, 10:34:33 pm »

But gravity never overcomes the nuclear forces, and the nuclear forces never posses range.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 08, 2013, 10:36:40 pm »

You know how black holes suck in matter? You know how matter is super-condensed energy?

Black holes only release x-rays. The rest of the energy is effectively gone from the system.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 339