Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490811 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1230 on: March 10, 2014, 03:29:23 am »

That would explain the bicurious part.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 10, 2014, 05:42:24 am »

... I don't think I even got around to finishing the first book, but I'm pretty sure that bit was referenced early on in it. Less sure about the ice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 12, 2014, 06:55:10 pm »

I was trying to think of things that a exo-planet has that would affect vegetation-ability that we would be able to know about.

I've been studying star and planet formation, stellar chemistry, and theoretical and observed alternate biologies for a couple months now, so my head is full of this stuff. I'll share a bit of what I've learned. For more stuff, check out these guys: http://phl.upr.edu/library/media

If you mean Earthlike plants, the recipe is fairly simple. We need to look for Telluric Exoplanets (the rocky inner planets) that formed around an Oxygen Star rather than a Carbon Star (chemical spectrometry can tell us this), sits within the Habitable Zone (a distance range that depends on the star's energy output), and which are between about 1-10x Earth's Mass (past that mass, gravity would be intense, the planet wouldn't lose it's hydrogen/helium, and the atmospheric pressure would be crushingly powerful at ground level). You'd also want a planet with water, active volcanism and a magnetic field, and/or a thick enough outer atmosphere (we can roughly estimate atmosphere using diameter, temperature, and chemical composition too) to block out radiation. And then, of course, you have to get lucky and find a planet with either an existing CO2 atmosphere, or microbes cleaning up toxic atmospheric chemicals, and making some CO2 for future plants.

*Note: Since we don't know the land-areas and water-content of most of these planets
You misspelled "none".

...though it's true that "Know" is a strong word, we can actually estimate water content pretty accurately with the power of Math, just using the planet's diameter and mass, spectrometry on the parent star to figure out its chemical composition, and knowledge of the density of silicate minerals versus water.

IN OTHER NEWS: you know how birds navigate using some kind of mysterious biological magnetic sensors? Apparently, we've pretty much figured out how they do it, at least in some cases: Linko

Sometimes senses get overlapped or grouped together... the way parts of our ears give us our gravity-sense along with our ability to hear. In the case of birds, parts of their blue pigment receptors (named Cryptochrome) are tweaked around by magnetic fields, such that they send stronger or weaker signals depending on the presence of a magnetic field. So basically they can see the Earth's magnetic field lines, as long as there is blue light available, and there are no intense local magnetic fields such as from high-voltage power lines or giant dynamos or anything. It might look a little bit like this:

Of course, there are other sources of magnetoreception that we know a lot less about. Some insects have concentrations of magnetic metals and nerve clusters in certain antennae or abdominal segments which may help them orient, and bees seem to be able to sense magnetism as well as polarized light. Actually, a lot of mammals seem to be able to do it to differing degrees too, including several ruminant species, rodents, and even dogs. Cool stuff, yeah?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 13, 2014, 01:17:14 am »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 17, 2014, 11:41:38 am »

Gravitational waves observed in primoridal light support inflationary model of "Big Bang". This is huge news - possibly bigger than finding the Higgs.
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 17, 2014, 11:42:24 am »

Isn't it just added confirmation of stuff we already knew?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 17, 2014, 11:44:13 am »

Not really. There have been competing theories of how the very early universe behaved - with one suggestion being a rapid inflationary/exponential growth period, which would explan the remarkable smoothness of the universe, but there was no evidence until now. So, yea, basically we have observational proof of how the very, very universe behaved, no more best geusses.
This is a blank sig.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 17, 2014, 11:59:54 am »

Not really. There have been competing theories of how the very early universe behaved - with one suggestion being a rapid inflationary/exponential growth period, which would explan the remarkable smoothness of the universe, but there was no evidence until now. So, yea, basically we have observational proof of how the very, very universe behaved, no more best geusses.

Whats the deal with this providing the first evidence for quantum gravity for we layman? Nature has some good stuff on this by the way. Feel free to ramble about any other ramifications.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 20, 2014, 05:10:19 am »

Video in french, not explaining anything really, but it shows the blue lava in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VbumP9rDuv4#t=70
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 20, 2014, 06:39:59 am »

Video in french, not explaining anything really, but it shows the blue lava in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VbumP9rDuv4#t=70

Eat that, fantasy authors!

Nature has outsmarted you yet again!
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 20, 2014, 07:17:06 am »

Meh, just molten sulphur.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:44 am »

Meh, just molten sulphur.
... molten sulfur is blue?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 339