Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490701 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1245 on: March 20, 2014, 07:39:32 am »

Meh, just molten sulphur.
... molten sulfur is blue?
No, it's red. But it burns with a blue flame:

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 20, 2014, 07:40:38 am »

Nope, it's red, but at night you can see the blue flames.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Ninja'd

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 21, 2014, 01:06:37 am »

Now all we need is for this to be implemented in DF. That way I can pass the magmatic happiness machine off as a fancy lighting system.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 21, 2014, 01:20:38 am »

Sulfur poisoning for everyone, yaay!

I'm guessing burning sulfur gives off poisonous fumes, anyway. It almost certainly has an incredible stench...

That said, I can only guess doing to lava what's been done to evil biome weather is both possible and a thing of great awesome. Forget just sulfur, let it potentially be molten anything. Or at least molten rock of some sort.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:22:33 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 21, 2014, 01:55:20 am »

Molten gold good-biome magma: your dwarves drown themselves.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 21, 2014, 02:07:55 am »

Molten gold good-biome magma: your dwarves drown themselves.
Forget drowning themselves, drown dragons instead! Then you will get Gold Dragon Statues
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 21, 2014, 02:11:49 am »

Sulfur poisoning for everyone, yaay!

I'm guessing burning sulfur gives off poisonous fumes, anyway. It almost certainly has an incredible stench....
Well, the fumes are certainly not healthy.

Also, in contact with water it forms sulphuric acid, which isn't healthy either.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 21, 2014, 02:20:50 am »

What, are you saying that I shouldn't fill my fortress' swimming pool with molten sulfur just because it kills people?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 21, 2014, 02:30:22 am »

No, we're just saying drop some elves in first.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 21, 2014, 02:49:05 am »

What, are you saying that I shouldn't fill my fortress' swimming pool with molten sulfur just because it kills people?
You should have molten sulphur falls, and fill the swimming pool with condensed sulphuric acid. They won't see it coming.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 21, 2014, 02:54:57 am »

Especially not when their eyes burn out.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 25, 2014, 12:28:16 am »

CHECK. THIS. OUT. Some people at a college managed to develop a paper microscope or something, that can fit into your pocket! The cost to manufacture is only about $1 USD, too! They're saying this will be a Godsend for poorly-developed countries without access to expensive microscopic equipment, as it will allow doctors to identify all manner of bacteria and viruses without needing so much money. Discuss.

http://www.foldscope.com/
http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2014/03/10/stanford-bioengineer-develops-a-50-cent-paper-microscope/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foldscope

Wikipedia article:
"A Foldscope is an optical microscope that can be assembled from a sheet of paper. It is built using a punched sheet of cardstock, a spherical lens, an LED, and a diffuser panel, along with a watch battery that powers it. It can magnify up to 2000 times and weighs 8 grams. The magnification power is enough to enable the spotting of organisms such as Leishmania donovani, and Escherichia coli, as well as Plasmodium malarial parasites. A Foldscope can be printed on a standard A4 sheet of paper and assembled in seven minutes.

The Foldscope was developed by a team led by Manu Prakash, an assistant professor of bioengineering at the Stanford School of Medicine. The project was funded by several organisations including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, who gave a grant of $US 100,000 for research in November 2012. The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation funded the "Ten Thousand Microscopes" project under which Prakash plans to give away 10,000 Foldscope kits to interested parties, including students for research. Foldscope sets will also be produced and tested in Kenya, India and Uganda.

Twelve Foldscope variants are available, each designed to aid the identification of a particular disease-causing organism. To enable several people to use them at once, each microscope can project images with a built-in projector. The Foldscope is designed to be assembled by the end user, and hence is colour-coded to help with the assembly. Each unit costs less than one US dollar to build, with estimates varying from 50 cents to 97 cents."

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 26, 2014, 03:41:17 am »

-just look up^-
Wow. Now I can finally observe how everyday life looks at a microscopic level without looking like a lunatic carrying a giant microscope around.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:32 am »

-just look up^-
Wow. Now I can finally observe how everyday life looks at a microscopic level without looking like a lunatic carrying a giant microscope around.
Wear a lab coat and carry a clipboard. No one will ever question you, no matter what you do.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 26, 2014, 02:40:18 pm »

-just look up^-
Wear a lab coat and carry a clipboard. No one will ever question you, no matter what you do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 339