Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490644 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1335 on: April 23, 2014, 09:49:05 am »

It's worth noting that the only observational study they cite, and the only one I'm aware of claiming a substantial positive benefit for the drugs, was published less than a month before the review and it's accuracy has been hotly contested.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 24, 2014, 07:42:06 am »

On a totally unrelated note, I went to see that new documentary on the LHC, 'Particle Fever', last week. It was a smashing film.
*rimshot*
Anyway, the science is cool, the animations were cool, and the interview were cool.
What I thought was kinda cool is when they were doing the standard documentary 'focus on random s***' montage, they showed a statue of Shiva that was on the property. Several times, in fact. I'm probably one of the only ones who appreciated the symbolism in that.
Spoiler: Symbolism (click to show/hide)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 07, 2014, 10:52:31 am »

Ganymede may have 3 layers of oceans, Ya'll.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2014-138
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 07, 2014, 03:27:27 pm »

Blood plasma from young mice injected into old mice "reverses age-related impairments in cognitive function and synaptic plasticity."

Science.

(If I know anything about human nature, then within a year, an intrepid bio-hacker will regularly inject themselves with the identified protein and blog about the results.)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 07, 2014, 03:50:52 pm »

Just so people avoid talking about what the guys on the BBC article were talking about, it doesn't extend life, it just means that things like dementia have less of an effect.

...which extends life. Little use in rejuvenation of, say, skin, if you cannot live as you qua you because of dementia.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 07, 2014, 04:05:43 pm »

Check this out:
http://www.illustris-project.org/

It's a super-detailed simulation of a huge spatial chunk of the universe(~10^6 cubic Mpc), recently completed and just published.

Here's an article about it:
www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2014-10

There's a bunch of videos in the media section of the project page(quicktime, sadly).

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 07, 2014, 04:15:33 pm »

Relevant SMBC is relevant:

Spoiler: Spolier for bigness (click to show/hide)
This is a blank sig.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 07, 2014, 04:42:23 pm »

Blood plasma from young mice injected into old mice "reverses age-related impairments in cognitive function and synaptic plasticity."

Science.

(If I know anything about human nature, then within a year, an intrepid bio-hacker will regularly inject themselves with the identified protein and blog about the results.)
Then everyone became vampires.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1344 on: May 07, 2014, 04:46:25 pm »

Just so people avoid talking about what the guys on the BBC article were talking about, it doesn't extend life, it just means that things like dementia have less of an effect.
...which extends life. Little use in rejuvenation of, say, skin, if you cannot live as you qua you because of dementia.
Not a huge amount, though. You can still suffer from other organs giving up and dying.
We have replacements? Dammit I want my brain jar immortality.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 07, 2014, 04:57:59 pm »

Yes!

Suck it, senescence!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 07, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »

Really, all we need to do is support the brain to achieve immortality.

That's all the body is: Support system for the brain. Well, non-evolutionary speaking.

Step 1: Support the brain outside of the human body.

Step 2: Translate the brain to something indefinitely durable. I.E. won't succumb to Alzheimer, dementia, brain-damage, etc.

Whether that's brain-uploading (which has it's own philosophical issues) or replacing the neurons with a more durable analog, or basically bolting on new hard-drives to your brain that the brain can, over time, migrate into as new connections are formed and the various functions of the brain (memory, learning, sensation, thought, etc) are taken up by the silicon brain. Then even if you lose your original meat-brain, it'd be no more of an issue for you than if you were to lose a few dozen brain-cells right now. Relatively minor loss, getting even more minor as you bolt on more and more space and take it up. Basically the same as the second way, with some differences. (I.E. bolting on whole-cloth parts and waiting for it to be engaged versus replacing each connection individually, keeping the original connections versus making them irrelevant, retaining some semblence of the original neural structure versus "Eh, as long as it thinks, nevermind the structure" of bolt-on)

Bam, immortality. All you need now is some way to manipulate reality (hands, or radio-controlled nano-particles, or organic meat-sacks grown around a radio receiver instead of a brain, whatever) and to sense reality (cameras, aforementioned meat-sacks) and you're golden~
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:09:35 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1347 on: May 07, 2014, 05:11:55 pm »

1. Upload brain to internet.
2. [CTRL] [C]
3. [CTRL] [V]
4. Everyone firewalls brain.exe

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 07, 2014, 05:37:41 pm »

Oh yeah, I'm totally gonna turn my brain into a superfast quantum computer and then put it into an indestructible deathmachine murdercyborg body.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:17:50 pm by Knit tie »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1349 on: May 07, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »

I don't know. Maybe it'd count as a victory for post-humanity?
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 339