Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490663 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1530 on: June 11, 2014, 07:43:10 am »

Not real, that has to do with the partial pressure of gases in your blood.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:02 am »

Because the notion of relatively, is well, relative [citation needed]. As in, you should probably survive this.

But anyway, the pressure difference is not so severe. At 10 meters depth, pressure is about 2 atmosphere, very few people imploding there. The skin is perfectly gas tight even in pure vacuum.

I have found unconfirmed evidence that your flesh would expand to about twice it's usual size*, but more importantly, you might have trouble breathing. In any case, the system isn't that secure, is it.

*doubtfull, but there will be tissue damage

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 11, 2014, 07:49:40 am »

Your flesh inflating, even if it's not two times it's original volume, will probably be quite painful if there's a breathing mask firmly attached to your face.

Also does this mean that shaving yourself in a vacuum would be suicide?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 11, 2014, 07:53:47 am »

But anyway, the pressure difference is not so severe. At 10 meters depth, pressure is about 2 atmosphere, very few people imploding there. The skin is perfectly gas tight even in pure vacuum.

True, a) it could simply be that the body is better at resisting inward rather than outward pressure and b) at least when scuba diving, your lungs are filled with air at the same pressure as the surrounding environment. That doesn't work in space.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 11, 2014, 07:56:14 am »

Well, it doesn't sound very comfortable, and if I had to do fiddly repair work I'd like to be reasonably comfortable so I could focus on the job better.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 11, 2014, 07:56:43 am »

I have found unconfirmed evidence that your flesh would expand to about twice it's usual size*, but more importantly, you might have trouble breathing. In any case, the system isn't that secure, is it.

*doubtfull, but there will be tissue damage
Look up Project Excelsior - a series of high-attitude jumps in the 60s. The third jump was from ~35 km attitude, at which atmospheric pressure is comparable to that on Mars. One of the gloves of Kittinger's suit failed, and his hand was exposed. It got swollen to about twice the size and caused much pain.
At that pressure, even taking into account the tissue elasticity, ebullism is a real possibility.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 11, 2014, 08:08:44 am »

I'm still maintaining the notion of relatively fine. The breathing system will need to actively pump air in and out of your lungs, you'll scream in pain from tissue damage, but you'll be mostly alive.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 11, 2014, 08:16:48 am »

By the time we're colonizing mars, we'll probably have suit-locks and spandex space-suits that keep the body pressurized by hugging tightly the body, instead of filling it with 1atm of oxygen. :v

Once and if we start terraforming it, releasing oxygen and possibly sucking some Venusian atmosphere away and putting it on mars (because hey, why not kill two birds with one stone? It'd take a fair bit of engineering to fling the compounds from Venus to Mars but so would terraforming so why not?) and thereby raising the pressure to something along the lines of Everest or air-craft flight height, then maybe we can get away with oxygen masks and some warm clothes, but I don't think the first Martian colonists or ESPECIALLY The first martian astronaut can get away with it. They'll need to carry at least *some* pressure with them.

Plus I wanna see dem hunky astronauts in spandex, so sue me~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 11, 2014, 08:22:28 am »

* RedKing represents NASA in the case of "Astronauts Uncomfortable With Having Their Space Junk Ogled vs. Descan"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 11, 2014, 08:29:24 am »

To be fait to 10ebbor10, he did mention goggles would be needed, so the eyes should be fine.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 11, 2014, 08:32:44 am »

I thought it was a mask covering the sensory organs...
What about your innards being sucked out through your junk/butt?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:58:24 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 11, 2014, 08:33:30 am »

Well good, we can watch ourselves blow up like the Stay-Puft Marshmellow man.

Edit: This "eyes still working" keeps sounding better and better!
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 11, 2014, 08:38:28 am »

I did specify that having other orifices covered might be beneficial.

Suprisingly, I forgot to mention the eyes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 11, 2014, 08:42:10 am »

I'm imagining ass goggles myself.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1544 on: June 11, 2014, 08:53:00 am »

I keep thinking of a gas mask and a pressurised diaper. On a hideous bloated purple body...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 339