Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490829 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1620 on: June 24, 2014, 05:06:11 pm »

How about this:

We want to.

That should be reason enough, shouldn't it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: June 24, 2014, 05:16:36 pm »

Especially when the only source cited in support decries the lack of testable predictions, and then you say "what's the point of testing predictions? it's a waste of time"

First, we prove that the Higgs is "a thing", which helps validate that our general model of the family of particles is on the right track and there isn't any unknown factor preventing this particle to exist. If the Higgs was never found, we'd have to explain that, just assuming any model is correct without ever checking isn't smart science.

Also, the Standard Model doesn't give the mass of the Higgs, so measuring them can fill in the blank there (at least they can give upper and lower bounds on the mass and statistically narrow that down as they observe more particles). Any model that attempts to explain the mass of the particles will therefore have one more data point it has to match, cutting out a virtually infinite number of potential equations.

The standard model was completely built on observation, not theory, observing previously unobserved quantum phenomena has obvious value in itself to improve the model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson#Alternative_models
Plus, there are already alternate models for the Higgs, and measuring / studying them more will rule out all models that don't match observations. This process will probably nuke a LOT of potential string theory variants, thus cutting down the chaff so we can see the wheat better.

This table summarizes the potential signifigance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson#Significance
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:25:53 pm by Reelya »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 24, 2014, 05:24:34 pm »

-snop-

Science is cool and useful. So are other philosophies and ways of thinking. Diversity of thought encourages new ideas and developments. As we discuss neat new theories and compare the measure of our academic e-peens etc., let us maintain our chill composure.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:26:28 pm by Solifuge »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: June 24, 2014, 06:20:55 pm »

Other philosophies and ways of thinking are science, as long as they're not false. Any attempt at finding the truth is science, as long as that attempt is honest (I.E actually looking for truth instead of looking for certain results that you want to be truth).

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 24, 2014, 07:38:04 pm »

Lolnope. Science is defined by empiricism. Otherwise you'll have to call theology and the likes sciences as well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: June 24, 2014, 07:40:01 pm »

Lolnope. Science is defined by empiricism. Otherwise you'll have to call theology and the likes sciences as well.
They share a certain desire for knowledge with science, but I personally wouldn't t define them as sciences.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: June 24, 2014, 08:20:07 pm »

Empiricism determines truth, so, uh, yeah, basically what I said?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: June 24, 2014, 09:01:02 pm »

KCL's Skinsuit

I find myself wondering if two of these women are incredibly tall, or one is incredibly short.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: June 24, 2014, 09:05:26 pm »

Law of averages suggests the former.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:08 am »

It looks like people think that I am anti-science.

This is wrong. I am not anti-science. But I think the modern science is too disconnected from philosophy to make progress.

How about this:

We want to.

No.

This reason could be used anywhere. Want to kill your neighbor? Sure!

No, screw that, anti-science is the single biggest problem the world faces and I will not stand for something even resembling it.

My problem was the statement:
The only reason you need justify gathering more knowledge is wanting to gather more knowledge.
It shows that the in the eyes of the public, science is a form of religion!

And how do you call that anti-science when you miss the point of what the science is?
._.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: June 25, 2014, 09:17:19 am »

Philosophers are the kind who say "all is fire" without knowing anything. Science is an attempt (mostly successful) at finding a good solution from epistemology. What do you think philosophy could add to science?

How about this:

We want to.

No.

This reason could be used anywhere. Want to kill your neighbor? Sure!

Once again, you're completely ignoring the whole "we're actually talking about something specific" angle. That argument could be used that way, but it's not being used that way and gaining knowledge isn't actively harmful, so it's irrelevant.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: June 25, 2014, 09:22:47 am »

Putnam, empiricism does not determine truth. Mathematical truth, for example, has nothing to do with empiricism. Neither has philosophy, which certainly searches (mostly uncuccessfully) for truth, just like theology and the likes. Even esotericists look for truth, but that doesn't make what they do science!
The Bay12 postcard club

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: June 25, 2014, 09:23:17 am »

That's why I'm focusing on the epistemology and not the search itself, as of two posts ago.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: June 25, 2014, 10:49:43 am »

Hmmm... Aren't we saying the same thing then? Science is pursuit of knowledge by the epistemology (I hope I'm using this usage of the word is correct) of empiricism?
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 339