Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490898 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1800 on: August 02, 2014, 10:38:33 am »

I second the name Impulse Power.

...if it work, at least.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 02, 2014, 10:39:36 am »

The primary problem with the NASA test is that their control engine produced the same amount of thrust as their actual engine.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 02, 2014, 10:43:03 am »

The primary problem with the NASA test is that their control engine produced the same amount of thrust as their actual engine.

Which strongly suggests that no thrust at all was produced, and there is some kind of zero calibration error, or the whole thing was off balance in some way, giving a false reading.

This is a blank sig.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 02, 2014, 11:12:25 am »

Which strongly suggests that no thrust at all was produced, and there is some kind of zero calibration error, or the whole thing was off balance in some way, giving a false reading.

Actually, this isn't correct. NASA's Control Group was a regular source of Radio-Frequency energy without one of the prototypes attached, which didn't register as providing force. The news article Alway linked seems to have confused their Control Group with one of the prototypes they called a "Null" test; it was designed in a way that they didn't expect to produce thrust, but it produced thrust anyway. This could be due to a lack of understanding behind what's going on in the device, faulty construction in the "Null" prototype that made it actually work, or some other property of the system we don't know yet. But the conclusion seems to be that 30-50 micronewtons of force was registered when the devices were there, and nothing registered when it was a plain RF load. Something happened, and it doesn't seem to have been a measurement error.

EDIT: We don't have access to the whole publication, the data, or the images yet, but this is according to the the abstract we can see so far. And note that NASA concluded that thrust was registered by the system. They have a good track record about accuracy, and I'd assume they wouldn't make a claim based on a completely rookie and unscientific error, which ignored their experimental results. That makes no sense.

Several different test configurations were used, including two different test articles as well as a reversal of the test article orientation. In addition, the test article was replaced by an RF load to verify that the force was not being generated by effects not associated with the test article.
Thrust was observed on both test articles, even though one of the test articles was designed with the expectation that it would not produce thrust. Specifically, one test article contained internal physical modifications that were designed to produce thrust, while the other did not (with the latter being referred to as the "null" test article).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:21:40 am by Solifuge »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 02, 2014, 11:28:38 am »

that we are simply too skeptical to not try to discredit it by all means possible,
That's how science works, you know...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31:29 am »

can't we just use descan as the power source for our intergalactic freight

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 02, 2014, 12:09:07 pm »

I think pushing virtual particles away may probably have some unintended consequences... Like maybe the space-place where the they were pushes starts itself pushing stuff the other way?
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 02, 2014, 02:09:16 pm »

can't we just use descan as the power source for our intergalactic freight

I have a heavy heart when I say that vibrating does not actually provide thrust. Unless we attach magnets to him and this drive does work, such a thing would not be feasible.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 02, 2014, 02:23:28 pm »

that we are simply too skeptical to not try to discredit it by all means possible,
That's how science works, you know...
"By any means possible" implies you'd go murder somebody and pin it on the researcher to discredit him.  If you're skeptical you should only be willing to discredit within the boundaries of well applied logic and properly collected and analyzed data, etc.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:23 pm »

Consider no one here was doing anything of the sort involving murder, and he was responding to the people in the thread who *were* using at least applied logic and were reading the released information, I think that's a bit of an absurd argument, isn't it?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 02, 2014, 03:03:48 pm »

No, because the original quote was not anything to do with the scientific method:
like how we were skeptical of computers, aeroplanes, books, radio and other world-changing inventions back when they were made.
He was talking about ignorant historical, societal fear of things unfamiliar, without any implication of necessarily even attempting to learn more about such things, etc.

That is not how the scientific method works. In science, if you're skeptical, you replicate experiments and are expected to propose better theories etc. Not just "ooh that sounds scary. Yer must be wrong pardner. I'm gonna take a nap now. Sincerely, GavJ"
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 02, 2014, 03:54:08 pm »

No, because the original quote was not anything to do with the scientific method:
like how we were skeptical of computers, aeroplanes, books, radio and other world-changing inventions back when they were made.
He was talking about ignorant historical, societal fear of things unfamiliar, without any implication of necessarily even attempting to learn more about such things, etc.

That is not how the scientific method works. In science, if you're skeptical, you replicate experiments and are expected to propose better theories etc. Not just "ooh that sounds scary. Yer must be wrong pardner. I'm gonna take a nap now. Sincerely, GavJ"
My point exactly. Instead of saying "this thing is impossible under current scientific theories, therefore it's obviously an error in the experiment that provided the positive result", we should be saying "this thing contradicts our understanding of the universe, but appears to function. We need to study it more thoroughly and possibly amend our theories in the end."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 02, 2014, 04:08:01 pm »

No, the first thing you need to do is check for errors, then replicate, then rewrite physics as we know it.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 02, 2014, 04:10:12 pm »

No, the first thing you need to do is check for errors, then replicate, then rewrite physics as we know it.
Implied in "study it more thoroughly". Besides, I believe the article stated that the device was replicated no less than 3 times, although review of NASA's studies is still absolutely necessary.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 02, 2014, 04:11:28 pm »

... and we can be pretty sure that there is some kind of error going on, going on by the additional info provided by Solifuge.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 339