Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489840 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2085 on: November 26, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/26/us-health-genetherapy-price-idUSKCN0JA1TP20141126

Kinda neat, despite the initial price.  Gene therapy has a lot of potential to fix a lot of things. 
how soon until somebody demand to develop a cure for autism
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: November 26, 2014, 04:18:49 pm »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/26/us-health-genetherapy-price-idUSKCN0JA1TP20141126

Kinda neat, despite the initial price.  Gene therapy has a lot of potential to fix a lot of things. 
Alternately, 'My son/daughter is ginger! I don't want a ginger child! Fix it!'

I think that would actually be doable. Red hair is caused by a defect in the structure of one of the melanins, so fixing the gene encoding it would mean the person would revert to non-red hair. Of course, it's also fucking pointless.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: November 26, 2014, 04:22:56 pm »

Alternately, 'My son/daughter is ginger! I don't want a ginger child! Fix it!'

I think that would actually be doable. Red hair is caused by a defect in the structure of one of the melanins, so fixing the gene encoding it would mean the person would revert to non-red hair. Of course, it's also fucking pointless.
Hooray for eugenics!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: November 26, 2014, 04:30:26 pm »

I can't wait till they come up with gene therapy that cures me of having only two arms.  Life as a mere two-armed person is kind of lame.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: November 26, 2014, 04:31:17 pm »

I can't wait till they come up with gene therapy that cures me of having only two arms.  Life as a mere two-armed person is kind of lame.   :P

That can be organized.

* scrdest takes out a fireaxe.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: November 26, 2014, 04:38:10 pm »

That can be organized.

* scrdest takes out a fireaxe.
Dude, don't even joke about something that barbaric. We are a civilized people. You should strap him to the medical table and use the medical laser.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2091 on: November 26, 2014, 05:09:21 pm »

Wings sound good, though I'd rather have Angel-Wings. What I'd really like to have, though, is super-skin. So that I could run barefoot over gravel or such, and not get hurt by it. Really, take any normal human capability and turn it up to eleven, and it'd be awesome.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: November 26, 2014, 05:14:16 pm »

Yeah, I used to walk barefoot a lot, and even small glass pieces wouldn't pierce my soles.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: November 26, 2014, 05:17:28 pm »

I wonder if you could build a machine that toughens your feet while being less uncomfortable than walking on painful terrain. Oh wait, they did, it's called a shoe.

I was watching Stan Lee's Superhumans the other day and there was a father and son who according to how the show put it are around 200 times as resistant to electricity as normal people are. That could be a fun mutation if it has no down side.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: November 26, 2014, 05:23:05 pm »

I was watching Stan Lee's Superhumans the other day and there was a father and son who according to how the show put it are around 200 times as resistant to electricity as normal people are. That could be a fun mutation if it has no down side.

Geez, I wonder what kind of bizarre accident happened to them that led them to finding that out.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2095 on: November 26, 2014, 05:38:02 pm »

I wonder if you could build a machine that toughens your feet while being less uncomfortable than walking on painful terrain. Oh wait, they did, it's called a shoe.

Boooooorrrrring.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: November 26, 2014, 08:34:29 pm »

They're working on the extra arms bit:

http://www.gizmag.com/mit-supernumerary-robotic-arms/32793/

Robot arms with AI that can sense what you're doing and help out automatically.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: November 26, 2014, 08:43:25 pm »

Just when I thought transhumanism couldn't sink any lower. They don't even want your mind to control your own limbs.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: November 26, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »

Awesome.  I was thinking under my current arms, but now that I think about it on the shoulder makes more sense.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: November 26, 2014, 09:41:32 pm »

Awesome.  I was thinking under my current arms, but now that I think about it on the shoulder makes more sense.
Why not both?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 339