Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 491048 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2625 on: March 06, 2015, 09:47:16 am »

"stationary" black holes are at best theoretical; Since any infalling matter is very unlikely to hit the black hole "Dead on", the singularity is going to have net rotation, if for no other reason, the conservation of the momentum of the infalling matter. (Further, one has to account for the net quantum spin of all the matter that fell in! The singularity is by definition a point object, and the conserved momentum of the original degenerate matter that spawned it must be conserved!)

This means that black holes are essentially guaranteed to be spinning, and thus will exhibit frame dragging.  This leads to the Kerr metric , which predicts a region around the event horizon in which the frame dragging takes an extreme form; All roads in time eventually lead into the horizon.

This means that unless you have superluminal space drives on that object, it CAN'T hold such an orbit.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: March 06, 2015, 09:57:34 am »

What if we give the falling observer and the object-before-it a propulsion system that would exactly counteract the gravity acceleration at any moment of falling down? That would make them stationary.
If they're stationary, then they're not in-falling, no?
They can still move at a constant speed relative to the black hole and be considered a "stationary observer".
This is getting into a territory that's way over my head, so I'll just make this one comment:
The singularity at R=Rs in the Schwartzschild metric is a coordinate singularity - it disappears if you use a different set of coordinates.
To confuse a coordinate singularity with a physical reality is like saying that there's a singularity at +/- 90 degrees of latitude on Earth, since the coordinate system behaves strangely there (try an tell me what is the longitude of a person standing exactly at the poles), therefore you can never reach the poles.

If you google 'Schwartzschild metric', 'coordinate singularity' you'll get more on the subject by people better versed in it than me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: March 06, 2015, 10:06:48 am »

So you're saying Santa harnesses the power of a black hole to power his sleigh?
That....actually makes some sense. And would explain his superluminal travel capabilities. He's not flying really fast, he's just warping the fabric of space-time to put shit under your tree.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: March 06, 2015, 10:12:01 am »

Clearly-- How else do you think he is able to cram presents for billions of children (Some of which quite large and heavy) into a volume the size of a typical rucksack, and slip down chimneys with them?

His bag of holding is clearly space-warping magic at its finest; Did you REALLY expect there to NOT be temporal consequences? ;)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: March 06, 2015, 10:23:41 am »

How else do you think he is able to crambillions of children (Some of which quite large and heavy) into a volume the size of a typical rucksack, and slip down chimneys with them?
What I read.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: March 06, 2015, 10:25:06 am »

LOL!

That's Goblinclaus silly!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: March 06, 2015, 12:24:39 pm »

All hail our robotic overlords!
“There are certain drivers who don’t respect the traffic police. But with the robot it will be different. We should respect the robot,” taxi driver Poro Zidane told AFP.

... or traffic cops, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: March 06, 2015, 12:28:07 pm »

The future is... *checks the article* Uh... the 1930s? Those are some really retro-looking robots they have set up.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: March 06, 2015, 12:28:43 pm »

All hail our robotic overlords!
“There are certain drivers who don’t respect the traffic police. But with the robot it will be different. We should respect the robot,” taxi driver Poro Zidane told AFP.

... or traffic cops, anyway.
So they're just fancy traffic cams?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: March 06, 2015, 12:35:22 pm »

Robot traffic cams. It makes all the difference.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: March 06, 2015, 12:40:41 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: March 06, 2015, 12:46:50 pm »

It's been done. Word 17, if you were wondering.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2637 on: March 06, 2015, 01:31:35 pm »

I would just like to point out that until Helgo linked that article I assumed you were talking about robots. I mean, traffic lights.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: March 06, 2015, 01:35:29 pm »

The first manually operated gas lit traffic light was installed in 1868 in London, though it was short-lived due to explosion

Oh dear

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: March 06, 2015, 01:37:51 pm »

The conflation of them "Taking over" has been a populist meme in the UK for a while now, IIRC.

It was even satirized in a fan video of "When robots attack"--(1:25 approx)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjGUWo4HrU
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:42:43 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 339