Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489865 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2685 on: March 07, 2015, 10:06:34 pm »

-snip-
Fair enough, but my paranoia still tells me to take it with a grain of salt. After all, they do have a monopoly on the ability to obtain the data, and have exclusive access to it before anyone outside the immediate group does. If they wanted to doctor, embellish, or otherwise manipulate the data, they could get away with it, though the exact reasoning to do so is uncertain.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: March 07, 2015, 10:08:34 pm »

I'm merely providing an alternate explanation as to how we reached the observations we have now.
That's precisely not what you are doing! 'Providing an alternate explanation' would involve - you guessed it - fairly rigorous mathematics. Right now you're just throwing words around. That's how all theories start, mind you - but the mathematical formalization is needed.
Plus you have in no way given examples of the current mathematical model failing, which is kinda the only reason a new explanation of the same phenomena would be needed anyway.
Fair enough, but my paranoia still tells me to take it with a grain of salt. After all, they do have a monopoly on the ability to obtain the data, and have exclusive access to it before anyone outside the immediate group does. If they wanted to doctor, embellish, or otherwise manipulate the data, they could get away with it, though the exact reasoning to do so is uncertain.
Who is this ominous 'they' you are talking about?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: March 07, 2015, 10:10:34 pm »

The Illuminati, of course. Didn't you read the bit where Dan Brown explains that they were founded by a bunch of scientists?!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: March 07, 2015, 10:34:18 pm »

Yeah, there is no single group coming up with all this. That is, in fact, what science tries to avoid more than anything else. There is no they.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2689 on: March 07, 2015, 10:39:10 pm »

The Illuminati, of course. Didn't you read the bit where Dan Brown explains that they were founded by a bunch of scientists?!
I remember some scientists gave me some mac n cheese one day-
BUT WAIT

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: March 07, 2015, 10:53:09 pm »

Hey now, let's not be a bunch of douches about this.  Being skeptical and always challenging the data collected thus far is what keeps science healthy-- otherwise we would all still be prattling about phlogiston right now.

However, it is important to focus that skepticism.  Any model proposed NEEDS to answer questions and explain observed phenomena (at very tight levels, as I pointed out earlier) BETTER than the current models. As Helgo pointed out, this requires some pretty damned elite math skills.

Relativity did exactly that, which is why when its predictions were observed, it became a sensation.  You need to have predictions that are then confirmed to have any validity for any new models, and the resulting model needs to be better than what we currently have.

Simply "Not liking" or finding the model to "Not make sense" (to us) are not grounds to discard the baby with the bathwater.  Quantum field theory is very much "We dont like it", AND "Does not make sense" (To us)--- but it WORKS, and WORKS WELL. Keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:56:46 pm by wierd »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: March 07, 2015, 11:03:43 pm »

Who is this ominous 'they' you are talking about?
You know damn well who I'm talking about, smartass.

You, too.

The scientific community. They need some sort of leverage to beg for money, don't they? Something that "shatters everything we thought we knew" is a lot more compelling than "it's the same thing but smaller". Hell, begging for money is half the job.

Or maybe they just want their 15 minutes of fame. By the time it can be disproved, they're long gone. Or maybe their plan is to stay ahead of that and pull another reversal before people start catching on.

These are not saints, but human beings with normal desires, aspirations, and needs. People in other fields pull this shit all the time, so why should scientists be exempt?

That's precisely not what you are doing! 'Providing an alternate explanation' would involve - you guessed it - fairly rigorous mathematics. Right now you're just throwing words around. That's how all theories start, mind you - but the mathematical formalization is needed.
Plus you have in no way given examples of the current mathematical model failing, which is kinda the only reason a new explanation of the same phenomena would be needed anyway.
I'm saying you shouldn't take everything they tell you as the gospel. People can and do make mistakes. And if I recall correctly, there was a recent thing about rampant confirmation bias within the scientific community.

We don't "need" another explanation for anything, until we need it. Or unless we are engaging in intellectual masturbation, like we are doing right now. Lighten up.

Hey now, let's not be a bunch of douches about this.  Being skeptical and always challenging the data collected thus far is what keeps science healthy-- otherwise we would all still be prattling about phlogiston right now.

However, it is important to focus that skepticism.  Any model proposed NEEDS to answer questions and explain observed phenomena (at very tight levels, as I pointed out earlier) BETTER than the current models. As Helgo pointed out, this requires some pretty damned elite math skills.

Relativity did exactly that, which is why when its predictions were observed, it became a sensation.  You need to have predictions that are then confirmed to have any validity for any new models, and the resulting model needs to be better than what we currently have.

Simply "Not liking" or finding the model to "Not make sense" (to us) are not grounds to discard the baby with the bathwater.  Quantum field theory is very much "We dont like it", AND "Does not make sense" (To us)--- but it WORKS, and WORKS WELL. Keep that in mind.
I'm willing to drop the entire conversation if everyone else can agree to stop slinging shit after I leave (not directed at you, wierd). Can we agree to disagree?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:07:09 pm by Lagslayer »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2692 on: March 07, 2015, 11:09:08 pm »

Two light hearted jokes and it's considered shit slinging?  Well okay then.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: March 07, 2015, 11:26:34 pm »

Two light hearted jokes and it's considered shit slinging?  Well okay then.
It didn't feel lighthearted, and little bits were strung out over a few posts. But then again, it's kinda hard to tell over the internet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: March 07, 2015, 11:28:40 pm »

The prevailing "anti-intellectual" popular opinion about science and the scientific community is very important to consider, Iceball.

Lagslayer has just misinterpreted what is going on there, because of the active misinformation being promulgated by certain political groups (who shall remain nameless. If you want to talk about that, go to the politics threads.)

These certain groups have a vested interest in shaking popular trust in the scientific method and scientific community. They do this for financial reasons (A la, the tobacco industry and their "Studies" in recent history, and more modern "Studies" in the same political vein) and this is NOT helped by the "For profit" research that has begun to dominate modern scientific exploits.

Basically, Lagslayer is saying he finds it difficult to trust in the findings of modern scientists, when there is motive to lie about the data, and lack of resources to catch the lies.  However, he takes it too far, believing that there is a massive system-wide conspiracy.

The real ugly picture of modern academics is more like this (as far as I have been able to piece together):

Researchers are genuinely interested in increasing the sum of human knowledge. They simply cant afford the equipment to do this, as our understanding has progressed to a very fine, and nuanced degree. To get the resources to do their preferred work, they have to pimp themselves out to less than scrupulous for-profit groups.  Biomed industries wanting to prove that XYZ pill is safe and effective, even when it might not be, etc.  The only conspiracy here is that created by the for-profit motive.

Then you have the "Data is hard if not impossible to get" problem posed by rent seeking assholes like Elsevier and pals. These are historically famous scientific publishing journals that run like good ol boys clubs, where you have to be "This rich" to get in the door. While this DOES provide a fairly effective filter against junk science that isnt worth the electricity needed to publish-- it also keeps people from getting at the higher quality publications-- It also allows the financially motivated junk science to get unfair exposure, which is poisonous to good science.

Within the scientific community, there is a lot of debate and argument over free publishing, but in recent years, due to this growing anti-intellectualism that is strangling science in its crib, many researchers are also publishing in open journals, hoping that people interested in science will be able to get the papers, the datasets, and perhaps even try to replicate results from them, and further contribute to the scientific process. 

There isn't some cabaal of secret scientific madmen trying to sway everyone through some secret agenda.

There IS a problem with for-profit science contaminating good science with junk, churned out to "Prove" something that is actually NOT true, so that some stock holders can make more money this quarter.

There IS a problem with good science not being able to achieve proper funding, because the people with the money to fund it want to make an immediate profit from science, and the costs of scientific inquiry are going up as methods and knowledge increase in complexity.

There IS a problem with government officials not understanding the value of fundamental science research, and constantly cutting science endowments as if they were a form of wellfare, and thus increasing the dependence of researchers on for-profit motivated "benefactors."

There still is no conspiracy though.  Just simple blind greed motivators getting in the way of true, pure research, which is contaminating the public image of science, when the "Proof" presented gets found out to be false later on when held up to scrutiny.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: March 07, 2015, 11:29:28 pm »

Yeah I'm not sure we were intending to hurt anyone's feelings... I hope you'd accept an apology from me as an apology from all of us. If that view is something that makes physics easier for you to understand, and you have no need for the mathematics, then by all means use it.

Speaking of bosons that may or may not have mass, my understanding has been that bosons are things made of fields, which to me explains why photons and gluons have no mass. So anyone have an explanation for Z and W bosons having mass?

EDIT: P sure I know the answer... mostly changing le subject
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:36:42 pm by Tylui »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: March 07, 2015, 11:36:56 pm »

It was my understanding that other factors like spin and charge, play a significant role in determining if a given particle will have mass, and how much?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: March 07, 2015, 11:46:51 pm »

Despite the name, W an Z particles also interact with the Higgs field.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: March 08, 2015, 01:16:36 am »

Also for a current application that helps to prove it is our entire GPS system. Every GPS satellite in the system requires such precision that it has to take into effect not only general relativity, but also special relativity as well (and is one of the reasons engineers hate dealing with it so much :P). The court may still be out on some of the quantum physics effects we've seen, but both types of relativity are proven well enough that we have been using them to build a world-spanning location system that has been in operation for the last handful of decades (and requires such accuracy that if we were wrong by even the tiniest amount we'd start to notice in about a day or two).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: March 08, 2015, 07:33:08 am »

The scientific community...
...didn't exist for a significant period of time. There wasn't a single scientific community for the period of time from 1950s to 1980s. You know, Cold War and all that. They've had plenty of motive to point out errors in each other's theories if they could; but theories that we're using now have survived that.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 339