Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490736 times)

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3075 on: April 14, 2015, 01:03:36 pm »

Scientists create invisible objects in the microwave range without metamaterial cloaking

That is hella cool, or at least the implications are.
It's pretty neat, but the fact that the invisibility is only at select wavelengths is a gigantic limitation.

I'm having an issue understanding the uncertainty principle. Is it really that the "true" position and momentum of say an electron is really uncertain in units of hbar, or that we just can't say anything about it since the forces that allow us to detect particles are all quantized and statistical? I know there's degeneracy pressure in neutron stars due to the uncertainty, but, again, that could be due to the forces being quantized.
It depends on who you ask. Those who take a probabilistic point of view will say that the "true" position is a funky concept, because the electron actually exists as a probability wave. And as you shrink the position distribution you increase the momentum distribution. There are those who would claim we just an't measure it accurately, but it's a minority.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: April 14, 2015, 01:18:15 pm »

It's a minority for a reason.  Quantum tunneling is required for the kind of nuclear fusion inside the sun to happen, and tunneling requires that atomic nuclei NOT be point objects.

Tunnelling is emprically observed as a phenomenon, the double slit experiment is an emperically observed phenomenon, and nuclear fusion is an emperically observed phenomenon.  Taken together, it pretty neatly nails the lid on that coffin.  Fundamentally, the particle/wave duality situation is an accurate depiction of what is happening, and not just a statistical contrivance.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3077 on: April 14, 2015, 01:48:23 pm »

The fact that he can move at all while weighing close to a ton is ample evidence that there is magical weight reduction happening.
Power armor + super soldier strength.
That can only take you so far, and doesn't explain why he isn't tearing up the ground as he runs around. Or what is powering that kind of movement in such a tiny suit.

I mean there are all kinds of problems with the technology that they just handwave away. I'm not sure why you're trying to shoehorn fiction into reality. How does he dispose of the heat? That kind of power use would put out a lot of BTU in waste unless we also have magically efficient mechanisms and lossless power transfer.

Honestly if you're in a civilization with lossless power transfer, gravity manipulation, frictionless bearings, superfluids which can disperse/eliminate huge amounts of kinetic energy... why are we at war? And why use a man in a suit? It is literally the least efficient way of applying those technologies to warfare that I can think of.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: April 14, 2015, 02:15:40 pm »

The reason I pointed it out was the earlier discussion of surviving an uncontrolled fall from orbit. An object with the mass of a person has a terminal velocity of something like 200 km/h. So what kind of energy are you looking at for a man-sized object (say 80 kilos) moving at 200km/h and impacting feet-down?
Small note, but 200 km/h is approximately terminal velocity while you are on your stomach/back, terminal velocity with your feet pointed down is much closer to 200 mph (321.8 km/h) on average with people having reached top speeds closer to around 300 mph when trying to break that record. It's one of the reasons why most of my plans in the original discussion involved you falling spread-eagled and then flipping feet down at the last moment for the dramatic landing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3079 on: April 14, 2015, 02:20:13 pm »

The reason I pointed it out was the earlier discussion of surviving an uncontrolled fall from orbit. An object with the mass of a person has a terminal velocity of something like 200 km/h. So what kind of energy are you looking at for a man-sized object (say 80 kilos) moving at 200km/h and impacting feet-down?
Small note, but 200 km/h is approximately terminal velocity while you are on your stomach/back, terminal velocity with your feet pointed down is much closer to 200 mph (321.8 km/h) on average with people having reached top speeds closer to around 300 mph when trying to break that record. It's one of the reasons why most of my plans in the original discussion involved you falling spread-eagled and then flipping feet down at the last moment for the dramatic landing.
Fair enough. I was doing math on a napkin using figures I recalled from a previous conversation so I'm not surprised I missed something. :P

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: April 14, 2015, 03:13:43 pm »

Halo is 500 some years in the future
Look at what we pulled off in just 100 years, I'm sure we can do that with 500
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: April 14, 2015, 06:38:15 pm »

I'm sure we'll be able to pull off drops from orbit and generally achieve the same practical results, but just as humanity has not yet mastered the power of flight with our meaty, natural-born hands alone, we're probably not going to be doing it in that particular fashion. That is, in a person-sized suit that tries to straight-up tank the sheer impact. More likely some sort of largish pod with either thrusters or a parachute.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:53 pm »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:52:59 am by penguinofhonor »

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: April 14, 2015, 07:09:32 pm »

www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/txt/al.html?fark

I'm sure this has been posted before but it's awesome!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3084 on: April 14, 2015, 08:11:08 pm »

Here's a good question for everybody, namely because i am unsure. Maybe it's a weird interaction with General Relativity and conventional physics, but...
If the universe is constantly expanding, isn't the Gravitational Potential between all objects also increasing? Albeit it could be explained away with dark energy.. In which case it's understandable why i have a hard time mentalizing the energy balances. Even regarding, what is all of your folks thoughts on the general idea or specifics involved?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: April 14, 2015, 08:19:08 pm »

I'm sure we'll be able to pull off drops from orbit and generally achieve the same practical results, but just as humanity has not yet mastered the power of flight with our meaty, natural-born hands alone, we're probably not going to be doing it in that particular fashion. That is, in a person-sized suit that tries to straight-up tank the sheer impact. More likely some sort of largish pod with either thrusters or a parachute.
Upon viewing halo 4 intro spartan suits have thrusters on the back and reading more into it, the fall was controled and not just falling out of control.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: April 14, 2015, 09:27:41 pm »

Here's a good question for everybody, namely because i am unsure. Maybe it's a weird interaction with General Relativity and conventional physics, but...
If the universe is constantly expanding, isn't the Gravitational Potential between all objects also increasing? Albeit it could be explained away with dark energy.. In which case it's understandable why i have a hard time mentalizing the energy balances. Even regarding, what is all of your folks thoughts on the general idea or specifics involved?
Hmm. I'm guessing that it's the same reason that grav. potential energy (relative to Earth) isn't all that relevant for, say, Voyager- They've long passed the rather severe drop-off point due to the difference. When you couple that with just the sheer, magnificent scale and speed the cosmos moves at,  it fades to the point of meaninglessness, so you end up with all the potential energies more or less canceling with all the other innumerable potential energies in the opposite direction.

That's just my (uninformed) intuition, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:29:13 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: April 14, 2015, 10:14:08 pm »

And that's only the observable universe correct?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: April 14, 2015, 10:37:11 pm »

Literally the only part of the universe that matters.

I'm not using literally in the figurative sense, either; there is absolutely no possible way for anything outside the observable universe to affect Earth. That's kinda the definition of the observable universe.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:01 pm »

Only if it is genuinely impossible to have functional FTL. 

(I sometimes wonder about the possibility of "extremely humongous" wormholes existing. Wormholes SO BIG, that they look like normal space-time other than mysterious matter flow patterns around them. Kinda like the great attractor actually.  If such objects exist in the universe, then "local shortcuts" between parts of the universe normally outside our lightcone could be possible.)
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 339