Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490841 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4425 on: October 11, 2016, 02:18:14 pm »

If I cut you in half vertically and grafted a robot body to both half of you, both will be a different person from you.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: October 11, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »

You don't even need fusion to solve all our energy woes. All you need is cheap solar arrays and decent batteries, something everyone can already have, and will be able to have for actualy cheap prices in about a decade or less. The sun already dumps a shitton of energy on earth on a daily based and more then 99,9% of it isn't used by humans.

Fusion is a nifty thing though, once we actualy get it, we'll basically solve all our energy needs till the time stuff like dyson swarms become needed (and feasible), and thats a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way away.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: October 11, 2016, 02:50:30 pm »

Tell that to split-brain patients.
I mean if you got a massive brain injury or Alzheimer's I'd classify that as dying too.

Sometimes you even physically die and gets revived when that happens.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: October 11, 2016, 04:38:40 pm »

You don't even need fusion to solve all our energy woes. All you need is cheap solar arrays and decent batteries, something everyone can already have, and will be able to have for actualy cheap prices in about a decade or less. The sun already dumps a shitton of energy on earth on a daily based and more then 99,9% of it isn't used by humans.

Fusion is a nifty thing though, once we actualy get it, we'll basically solve all our energy needs till the time stuff like dyson swarms become needed (and feasible), and thats a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way away.
decent, cheap batteries literally don't exist tho, especially not at that scale

and it's not always sunny everywhere. solar panels become a lot less effective in temperate climates, and transporting all that energy from the equator isn't reasonable.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: October 11, 2016, 04:48:08 pm »

well that is the whole point of Musk's Gigafactory, so...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: October 11, 2016, 10:02:40 pm »

decent, cheap batteries literally don't exist tho, especially not at that scale

and it's not always sunny everywhere. solar panels become a lot less effective in temperate climates, and transporting all that energy from the equator isn't reasonable.
>thinking like a grounder
It is literally sunny everywhere except the little patches of shade behind the various bits of debris floating around doing nothing but generating gravity wells and hosting silly little spatiotemporal structures like us.
If I cut you in half vertically and grafted a robot body to both half of you, both will be a different person from you.
Are the arms of the letter Y different from the stem? Sure, are they not part of the letter? Well, by definition, no, that is what that symbol is agreed to represent after all.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4431 on: October 12, 2016, 11:06:49 am »

The real problem is that the terms have no definition. What is rich? What is poor?

What is me? At what point between the spectrum me and you do I become you, if some effect were slowly transforming me into you?

It's almost meaningless, because we don't even know exactly what we are. Almost certainly we are simply an emergent property of the brain processing information, but since we cannot define 'me-ness' we cannot say at what point the 'me-ness' stops. I'm not even convinced that the distinction is meaningful. What, really, is the difference between a biological computer and an electronic one if they give the same response to stimuli? If you receive the same output to all input, they are functionally identical so the only argument over the difference would be a spiritual one, which is an argument nobody can win because there is no proof such a thing even exists.

It is my opinion that the thing which makes you 'you' is the unique interactions only you are capable of. Only you will react a certain way to a certain thing. A computer simulating your brain perfectly would react the same way to the same thing, and thus is also 'you'. A simulation running independent of your brain will eventually diverge from 'you' and become a different 'you' if it receives different stimulus and input, just the way two identical twins diverge if raised in different settings.

Heap problem, that's what it is.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4432 on: October 12, 2016, 11:20:48 am »

What's really amusing is that some of those transient structures have anxiety over the strands of protein filament on their heads and hope other structures will find the arrangement of said strands pleasing.

And that is a superb example of the stepping-away that sociologists and anthropologists do. (I don't remember the real term. My curse: knowing so many things, and yet having no way of referencing many of them. It's like that thing where you no longer have a connection to a datum in a computer because you de-assigned its memory space, or something. See? Meta. If I knew that term, I'd be able to say it.)

(Edit: It's dereferencing.)
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: October 12, 2016, 12:51:39 pm »

What's really amusing is that some of those transient structures have anxiety over the strands of protein filament on their heads and hope other structures will find the arrangement of said strands pleasing.

And that is a superb example of the stepping-away that sociologists and anthropologists do. (I don't remember the real term. My curse: knowing so many things, and yet having no way of referencing many of them. It's like that thing where you no longer have a connection to a datum in a computer because you de-assigned its memory space, or something. See? Meta. If I knew that term, I'd be able to say it.)

Or garbage collection, if you want to be sardonic.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: October 12, 2016, 12:59:14 pm »

well that is the whole point of Musk's Gigafactory, so...
which is an absolutely fucking massive factory just for producing car batteries that let a car drive 335 miles. (a car that isnt exactly cheap)

you want to use those to smooth out the power needs of the entire world?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: October 12, 2016, 01:37:50 pm »

Well, I've only got a theoretical degree in physics, but that's where my comments on our 4-D extents containing numerous slices, each of which observe the current moment to be "now", yet all exist. If part of your 4-D structure extends into a computer and there is continuity between the memory of earlier slices and the boundary slices, it is obviously the same person, even if that structure splits into multiple sections, though their mindstates would begin to diverge immediately relative to each other from the point of branching, they are all a continuation of the same structure, as the branches of the letter Y would be continuations of the stem.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4436 on: October 12, 2016, 01:43:44 pm »

I was referring to things like Nacirema, btw.

That is a really good point. Would an alternate-universe me be the same me as me?
Sigtext!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: October 12, 2016, 01:53:00 pm »

Depends on the alternate universe. It's not strictly impossible what you're experiencing is an arbitrary number of functionally identical simultaneous realities that are seamlessly cross-communicating. There would be many yous, in that case, all interchangeable, indistinguishable, and sharing the same experiences.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: October 12, 2016, 02:13:04 pm »

Well, I've only got a theoretical degree in physics, but that's where my comments on our 4-D extents containing numerous slices, each of which observe the current moment to be "now", yet all exist. If part of your 4-D structure extends into a computer and there is continuity between the memory of earlier slices and the boundary slices, it is obviously the same person, even if that structure splits into multiple sections, though their mindstates would begin to diverge immediately relative to each other from the point of branching, they are all a continuation of the same structure, as the branches of the letter Y would be continuations of the stem.
It is obvious that the main problem people have with "multiple me being all equal" interpretation is that "branching" thing. If we could make a reversal of that process and sort of resynchronise those mindstates after branching while keeping all or almost all pre-merge memories intact, we wouldn't have that many people objecting to that stuff.

At least I think it would help.
._.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4439 on: October 12, 2016, 02:33:49 pm »

The Pen & Paper role-playing game Eclipse Phase deals heavily with these sorts of things. In that setting its quite common to spawn low level copies of your own mind to perform various tasks and then reintegrate them later on. The acceptability of this varies depending on where you are. Some societies see it as normal and accepted, while some think its queer and even obscene.

Generally a low-fidelity copy, one smart enough to perform basic things like managing your appointments, is fine but high-resolution copies capable of independent action and thought are restricted or even illegal.

You might spin off a copy of your mind to attend a work meeting and then integrate those memories later, while another copy of yourself gets the shopping done via online catalog, all while the 'real' you is sitting on the train off to visit your friend.

Under this fictional setting those copies are never granted independent rights but a copy of your mind is respected as if it were wholly you, and you are responsible for any actions taken.

And yes, out-of-control copies are a common plot point. In some societies, such copies are fitted with the software equivalent of a kill switch to remotely deactivate them in case they start causing trouble. As you can imagine, the morality of all this causes a lot of problems in the game and several factions have banned the practice outright.

This is also a game where you can simply download your mind into a comms network and transmit it to another space station where you're loaded into a loaner body, rather than travel there the slow way.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 339