Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490844 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4515 on: October 24, 2016, 01:02:12 pm »

I'd say it's of dubious value.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4516 on: October 24, 2016, 01:28:25 pm »

Switch back to pro-dark-energy smugness!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: October 24, 2016, 01:52:22 pm »

That's just what the shadow people want you to think.

The truth is out there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4518 on: October 24, 2016, 01:55:10 pm »

...do you mean antimatter? Darkmatter? Huh? Who are the shadow people?

*whoosh*
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: October 24, 2016, 02:47:30 pm »

shadow
brokers

Also, on on topic news, why are they throwing out the idea of dark matter along with the fact that they are throwing out the idea that the universe is constantly accelerating? That's ridiculous imho, dark matter could just as well be a stabilization force within the universe considering the original hypothesis posits that it makes up 80% of our universe. I don't think that correlates to the percentage rate of expansion of the universe when that theory was long-ago made.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: October 24, 2016, 06:49:45 pm »

Dark matter is a whole other thing, and not in question. Dark energy simply needs better statistical examination according to that paper.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: October 25, 2016, 08:29:17 am »

Also, on on topic news, why are they throwing out the idea of dark matter along with the fact that they are throwing out the idea that the universe is constantly accelerating? That's ridiculous imho, dark matter could just as well be a stabilization force within the universe considering the original hypothesis posits that it makes up 80% of our universe. I don't think that correlates to the percentage rate of expansion of the universe when that theory was long-ago made.
Assuming you meant dark energy, not matter - they are not throwing out dark energy. A non-constant DE, whose density evolution is tracking matter density, is required to keep the expansion history steady. Without some form of DE, the expansion has to be strictly decelerating as matter (dark and baryonic) and radiation content works gravitationally to slow down the initial impulse.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: October 25, 2016, 09:47:18 am »

Assuming you meant dark energy, not matter - they are not throwing out dark energy. A non-constant DE, whose density evolution is tracking matter density, is required to keep the expansion history steady. Without some form of DE, the expansion has to be strictly decelerating as matter (dark and baryonic) and radiation content works gravitationally to slow down the initial impulse.
Hm, interesting. So, I wonder what the possible correlation could be to a earlier point in time when the earth was first formed, because(and I will have to find sources for this) the earth had an atmosphere so composed that people uh, apparently lived for hundreds of years and that's-If I'm not mistaken, why we use hyper-baric chambers to heal burn victims. Could this correlate with the term baryonic that you are using, and it's supposed impact on the study of dark 'matter' or energy? That's my question here.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: October 25, 2016, 10:00:54 am »

Not sure if that's a serious question or not.  (But Greek "barus" means "heavy", so high-pressure atmosphere and the heavier classes of particle (as known at the time of coining) both use that root for their own reasons.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: October 25, 2016, 10:03:28 am »

...wat

People didn't live for hundreds of years, https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hyperbaric is speaking of significantly greater than regular atmospheric pressure, which is around 1 bar at sea level. Baryons are things like protons and neutrons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baryon

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: October 25, 2016, 11:01:16 am »

Ehh I was just trying to connect the dots

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: October 25, 2016, 12:30:56 pm »

Well, the baros root connection was correct, but the rest is out there.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: October 25, 2016, 01:16:12 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: October 25, 2016, 01:18:45 pm »

Saturn is actually just endorsing the Civilization games' design choices.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 339