Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490862 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4905 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:34 am »

Obviously the solution is to colonize Venus instead.  I mean, at the rate things are going here on earth, moving to Venus wouldn't be that big of a change.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: March 17, 2017, 01:58:44 pm »

Every time I think of Mars and Venus I think of the meme with Patrick Star. "Why don't we take all the CO2 from Venus, and put it on Mars?" Fuggin' two birds, one stone.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: March 17, 2017, 02:58:05 pm »

DO IT PATRICK

...but then we couldn't float in buoyant sky-cities on venus, which is no fun, obviosuly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: March 17, 2017, 03:23:25 pm »

If by buoyant you mean violently shaking around.

[VENUS INTENSIFIES]
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4909 on: March 17, 2017, 04:05:03 pm »

If by buoyant you mean violently shaking around.

[VENUS INTENSIFIES]
Just make the inside of the colony like a bouncy castle and it won't matter if its shaking around. In fact that's even more fun.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: March 17, 2017, 04:19:41 pm »

Why would we be shaken around violently?  What's the windshear across the scope of a venusian blimp at the appropriate altitude? Needs far more study.  Being just slightly out of sight, being roughly between the acid clouds and the acid haze layers...

I've had a look for various facts and figures, but I can only find the windspeeds, with which a floating venusian city would be freely travelling, not much about localised turbulence outside of the polar vortices (and, even then, it's mega-scale convection currents, not anything to indicate inexplicable gusts).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: March 17, 2017, 04:27:57 pm »

I've heard it quoted time and again that the only thing a human would need at 50km is an oxygen mask, so I think the acidity isn't particularly severe? Don't recall the reasoning.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: March 17, 2017, 04:40:12 pm »

I've heard it quoted time and again that the only thing a human would need at 50km is an oxygen mask, so I think the acidity isn't particularly severe? Don't recall the reasoning.

Pressure is roughly as Earth sea-level at just a tad under 50km above the surface, but it's hot (75°C-ish), and temperature is more like room-temperature comfortab, eat about 54km (approaching half the pressure), so you'd probably want to decide on your compromises, and keeping the acid 'fumes' away from reacting with your moist orifices is probably a secondary function to the mask that gives you oxygen (and keeps your lungs safe), so a neoprene diving suit and minimal umbilical/backpack life support could be more than enough, with a leeway on safety...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: March 17, 2017, 05:31:30 pm »

Obviously the solution is to colonize Venus instead.  I mean, at the rate things are going here on earth, moving to Venus wouldn't be that big of a change.
Well, I mean, technically you're right in that we've got oceans that are deep enough to say that we've got conditions with the same surface pressure here... but water doesn't quite heat up the same way a column of air does when compressed unless you've got like gas giant quantities of it. Honestly there really isn't much that gets on my nerves as badly as the idea that Venus is so hot because CO2 is the devil instead of the fact that there's something like 90 times as much atmosphere sitting on the surface under roughly the same acceleration as ours is with roughly the same area under it as ours has.

Fun thought experiment: suppose you have a tube floating in space with an engine capable of producing and sustaining 1 G of acceleration along the long axis which is currently turned off, let's say it's 10 km long (and made of oh, Xeelee Construction Material so it can withstand said acceleration) with a cap on the end where the engine is, the other end is open, and the diameter of the tube is 50 m. Suspended within it are evenly distributed super bounce balls which are on average 1 m apart from each other and the nearest wall of the tube, and for the fuck of it, let's say that they're not moving at all.

What happens inside the tube when the engine is turned on and it begins accelerating at 1 G?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, engineering sulphuric acid resistant plants which hang themselves in the upper atmosphere with grown oxygen bladders and sail along to keep themselves on the day side longer? That's another story.

Why would we be shaken around violently?  What's the windshear across the scope of a venusian blimp at the appropriate altitude? Needs far more study.  Being just slightly out of sight, being roughly between the acid clouds and the acid haze layers...

I've had a look for various facts and figures, but I can only find the windspeeds, with which a floating venusian city would be freely travelling, not much about localised turbulence outside of the polar vortices (and, even then, it's mega-scale convection currents, not anything to indicate inexplicable gusts).
Yeah, the winds are FAST, but steady as hell since the atmosphere does the actual "Earth-like day/night" rotation rather than the "I've been having the worst day ever for months now" thing the surface does.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: March 17, 2017, 06:36:06 pm »

People don't believe Venus is hot because CO2 is the devil, they believe it's hot because it is believed to have undergone a runaway greenhouse effect at some point in its past. Resulting in current conditions.

Earth's situation is a bit more fragile, what with life and all.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: March 17, 2017, 07:41:55 pm »

It's his usual of thing. "Columns of gas heat up at the bottom explains global warming" theory he's been saying pretty much whenever the topic comes up.
That a column of gas in a gravity well is warmest at the bottom isn't a theory, it's a fact, you can just observe it, no guesses or experiments needed, explaining why this wouldn't be the case would be where a hypothesis could be proposed and if successfully tested become a theory. As for whenever it comes up, usually I avoid bothering precisely because of responses like yours, but the idea that Venus represents anything remotely similar to a possible future state of the Earth--short of it undergoing a full resurfacing event--is fucking absurd.
People don't believe Venus is hot because CO2 is the devil, they believe it's hot because it is believed to have undergone a runaway greenhouse effect at some point in its past. Resulting in current conditions.
Yeah, and part of that runaway idea includes it being much closer to Earthlike and then winding up like it is now, with the implication being this could happen here, which is ridiculous.

Venus barfed itself inside out, completely resurfacing the crust, at least once in the last half a billion years. We know this because it doesn't have a water cycle or any other method which would erase the cratering it should have. If it's done this once, it seems reasonable to assume it's probably done this several times, so there's no need to push the "it just kept baking more and more CO2 out in a runaway greenhouse effect so we should be scared" idea to explain the massive atmosphere and temperature.

The runaway hypothesis would need to explain more than the hypothesis that a volcanic event sufficient to resurface an entire planet would involve a large injection of gas and heat into the atmosphere to be preferable. It would also need to explain where the heat and gas from that resurfacing went, if in fact the planet is actually this hot and has this much atmosphere due to a runaway greenhouse effect, so we'd wind up needing three explanations: why did Venus undergo a resurfacing event, where did the gas and heat from that event go, and why did it undergo a runaway greenhouse event initially?

Alternatively you need one: why did Venus undergo a resurfacing event? That it would have a hot dense atmosphere is baked into the resurfacing event, and thus a hypothesis explaining the resurfacing event(s) would be more simple and have more explanatory power.

Earth's situation is a bit more fragile, what with life and all.
Well, life is probably responsible for the O2 > CO2 cycling, so really you'd probably expect it to be more stable, and arguably the whole alarm is over previously fixed CO2 being released rapidly, but the idea that life itself is at risk due to CO2 is silly... without the whole "we could end up like Venus" nonsense being tossed around, of course.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: March 17, 2017, 07:46:12 pm »

Venus barfed itself inside out, completely resurfacing the crust, at least once in the last half a billion years. We know this because it doesn't have a water cycle or any other method which would erase the cratering it should have.

And if someone says "what about the acid rain": the acid rain doesn't reach the surface, it's way too hot.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: March 17, 2017, 08:05:31 pm »

Yeah, and part of that runaway idea includes it being much closer to Earthlike and then winding up like it is now, with the implication being this could happen here, which is ridiculous.

Venus barfed itself inside out, completely resurfacing the crust, at least once in the last half a billion years. We know this because it doesn't have a water cycle or any other method which would erase the cratering it should have. If it's done this once, it seems reasonable to assume it's probably done this several times, so there's no need to push the "it just kept baking more and more CO2 out in a runaway greenhouse effect so we should be scared" idea to explain the massive atmosphere and temperature.

The runaway hypothesis would need to explain more than the hypothesis that a volcanic event sufficient to resurface an entire planet would involve a large injection of gas and heat into the atmosphere to be preferable. It would also need to explain where the heat and gas from that resurfacing went, if in fact the planet is actually this hot and has this much atmosphere due to a runaway greenhouse effect, so we'd wind up needing three explanations: why did Venus undergo a resurfacing event, where did the gas and heat from that event go, and why did it undergo a runaway greenhouse event initially?

Alternatively you need one: why did Venus undergo a resurfacing event? That it would have a hot dense atmosphere is baked into the resurfacing event, and thus a hypothesis explaining the resurfacing event(s) would be more simple and have more explanatory power.
This has nothing to do with anything we were talking about. Whether or not Venus undergoes volcanic resurfacing (and there are various hypotheses) does not change the fact that it is under a runaway greenhouse. Earth is one of the most geologically active bodies in the solar system, and it doesn't have a lead-melting surface. It doesn't retain heat from any source well enough to create those conditions. Venus does. If Venus had an atmosphere of, say, 99% nitrogen, it would as a matter of objective fact be cooler due to an inability to retain that level of heat.

Well, life is probably responsible for the O2 > CO2 cycling, so really you'd probably expect it to be more stable, and arguably the whole alarm is over previously fixed CO2 being released rapidly, but the idea that life itself is at risk due to CO2 is silly... without the whole "we could end up like Venus" nonsense being tossed around, of course.
Earth probably could end up similar to Venus, millions of years after human extinction due to ecological collapse, were we to go that route. It is also possible that there could eventually be another carbon-rich period that would successfully arrest this cycle if our ultimate extinction didn't salt the Earth, but I say again, human extinction. Your hate-on for this basic comparison of how the greenhouse effect can change a planet baffles me. Nobody is seriously suggesting humans will face the threat of a 600 C surface because of climate change.

Do you or do you not agree that the presence of carbon dioxide in a planetary atmosphere directly correlates with the heat retention of that atmosphere?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:08:15 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: March 17, 2017, 08:35:10 pm »

That a column of gas in a gravity well is warmest at the bottom isn't a theory, it's a fact, you can just observe it,

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: March 17, 2017, 08:44:59 pm »

That a column of gas in a gravity well is warmest at the bottom isn't a theory, it's a fact, you can just observe it,
well for one the lower you go the more density you have so the same temperature gas contains more energy in the same area so it will likely always be hotter in that way. obviously this might not hold true in places like the poles if the planet in question gets most of its energy from the sun.

you can observe the effects of expansional cooling and contractile heating quite easily with an air compressor.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:47:55 pm by redwallzyl »
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 339