Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489824 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4965 on: April 04, 2017, 10:30:16 am »

Arizona, completely untouched.
/insert appropriate joke here

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: April 10, 2017, 12:08:53 pm »

Any news from Green Bank about their KIC 8462852 study?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: April 10, 2017, 12:23:11 pm »

Not that I know of, but: https://physics.aps.org/articles/v9/150 has more up to date info on Tabby's Star.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: April 10, 2017, 02:39:34 pm »

Technically still science: an official FEMA estimate on effects of full-scale nuclear war on USA, complete with geographical maps of nuclear explosions. Some places get, like, ultranuked, like New York or, for some reason, North Dakota.

Heh. The tiny town I'm from happens to be in one of those northern states with tons of missiles. As a result, the map doesn't even have a legend marking for anything beneath "medium" radiation and ~80% of the people are in high-risk areas (read: would be completely vaporized).

...yeah, looking at the map for blast areas my town would be utterly wiped off the map along with the countryside for about a hundred miles to the west.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: April 10, 2017, 02:44:07 pm »

Technically still science: an official FEMA estimate on effects of full-scale nuclear war on USA, complete with geographical maps of nuclear explosions. Some places get, like, ultranuked, like New York or, for some reason, North Dakota.
* Sirus looks at California
I guess I'd be one of the ultranuked ._.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: April 10, 2017, 09:07:02 pm »

the UP apparently would get nuked three times. and Detroit absolutely flattened. my city gets a measly two though.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: April 10, 2017, 09:28:27 pm »

Dark Matter is the opposite, it is an observed phenomenon (galactic rotation curves) which was later linked to another observation (light passing through galaxy clusters is lensed in a manner which indicates that there is far more mass present than the visible matter can account for) and then we determined that it can't just be dim ordinary matter (because we saw two clusters which passed through each other and the distribution of stars, intercluster gas, and mass is all fucked up but clearly indicates that there is a lot of shit we can't see directly there) so we're now in the phase of "what is this stuff, what properties does it have, can we shake the standard model until it falls out?" science regarding dark matter.

Also another story on that site was about giant sloths digging tunnels?

Sounds like a real pain...

I thought dark matter didn't interact with light at all?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: April 10, 2017, 09:29:36 pm »

Long Island, where I am, is literally gone from the map. It gets more hits than the rest of New York state combined.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: April 10, 2017, 09:36:56 pm »

the UP apparently would get nuked three times. and Detroit absolutely flattened. my city gets a measly two though.

Ouch coastal California. Also, I wondered why there was a blob over one of the Channel Islands off the coast. Apparently it's used by the navy as a weapons testing and training area, which doesn't seem like a logical thing to target. Though I guess if you're going for an all out 'extinct the American military' assault.....

Dark Matter is the opposite, it is an observed phenomenon (galactic rotation curves) which was later linked to another observation (light passing through galaxy clusters is lensed in a manner which indicates that there is far more mass present than the visible matter can account for) and then we determined that it can't just be dim ordinary matter (because we saw two clusters which passed through each other and the distribution of stars, intercluster gas, and mass is all fucked up but clearly indicates that there is a lot of shit we can't see directly there) so we're now in the phase of "what is this stuff, what properties does it have, can we shake the standard model until it falls out?" science regarding dark matter.

Also another story on that site was about giant sloths digging tunnels?

Sounds like a real pain...

Not directly, or if it does, it's effect is very tiny. The main reason we can 'see' it is due to gravitational effects. Gravity lensing and stuff.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: April 10, 2017, 09:43:06 pm »

Yeah, gravity effects light and dark matter interacts with gravity, so that's about as far as that goes. Dark matter itself does not interact electromagnetically.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:54:10 pm by Putnam »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: April 10, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap060824.html

Explanation: The matter in galaxy cluster 1E 0657-56, fondly known as the "bullet cluster", is shown in this composite image. A mere 3.4 billion light-years away, the bullet cluster's individual galaxies are seen in the optical image data, but their total mass adds up to far less than the mass of the cluster's two clouds of hot x-ray emitting gas shown in red. Representing even more mass than the optical galaxies and x-ray gas combined, the blue hues show the distribution of dark matter in the cluster. Otherwise invisible to telescopic views, the dark matter was mapped by observations of gravitational lensing of background galaxies. In a text book example of a shock front, the bullet-shaped cloud of gas at the right was distorted during the titanic collision between two galaxy clusters that created the larger bullet cluster itself. But the dark matter present has not interacted with the cluster gas except by gravity. The clear separation of dark matter and gas clouds is considered direct evidence that dark matter exists.

More stuff here: http://chandra.harvard.edu/blog/node/548

Also here is an example of Abell 1689 showing the very visible lensing which accompanies the less obvious lensing we can identify through various methods to work out that there must be quite a bit of mass present which doesn't show up in any wavelength we can detect: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/galaxy-clusters-reveal-new-dark-matter-insights

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: April 11, 2017, 04:35:06 am »

Dark Matter is the opposite, it is an observed phenomenon (galactic rotation curves) which was later linked to another observation (light passing through galaxy clusters is lensed in a manner which indicates that there is far more mass present than the visible matter can account for)
Dark matter apparently does not interact with light (as wave/particle carriers of the combined electromagnetism thing, and/or quantum packets thereof, and/or the Next Big Theory), but it has mass and mass distorts space and distorted space acts upon the pathing of light (whatever form it takes).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: April 11, 2017, 04:42:24 am »

Energy distorts space. Mass is a form of energy.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: April 11, 2017, 04:43:41 am »

I didn't want to overcomplicate things...  ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: April 11, 2017, 04:51:16 am »

Lies-to-children like that go down a dangerous road of people thinking that it's somehow ridiculous that photons have 0 mass yet have momentum and gravity.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 339