Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Alright, so, i survived my first year in Dwarf Fortress Mode, Any new dangers?  (Read 6324 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

"In my fortress, nothing is overkill" Says Urist McPewPew
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Agh, i just had over 30 migrants arrive, literally. Drawbridges are FUN!

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've also found it worthwhile to spread out your weapon allocation, at least initially, inside your weapon traps. Putting a row of 10-weapon traps is tempting at first, but if something attacks and dodges past it outright (or the trap gets clogged with gobbo goop) before you get that second row, you're screwed. My standard weapon trap setup is three masterwork steel discs powered by a masterwork mechanism; at least three layers of those. Since discs get three attacks per trigger, that's 9 attacks per trigger per trap, and 27 attacks if the target walks straight through the trap zone in linear fashion. Not much is able to get past this in a form that will survive for any appreciable time.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:05:32 pm by drh »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Another Quick Question, is there a way to make all my dwarves stay in the fort?

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile

Another Quick Question, is there a way to make all my dwarves stay in the fort?

You can use military alerts and burrows

Take a look ate this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Khearn/CivilianAlertBurrow

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm partial to Corkscrews and Serrated Discs myself. Skewer them and slice them into bits. Usually the upgraded traps become part of my pump stack. Or at least they used to.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos

I find cage traps to be too tedious over time where you have so many prisoners to deal with its impossible to dispose of them properly. That said I keep one to three cage traps around just so I got some prisoners to use for archery practice.

Otherwise I use a lot of menacing wooden spikes. Real easy to make and are quite deadly. The only problem is that menacing spikes don't work against the undead that well.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Alright, guys, thanks for all the advice on this. Ill keep pumping out trap mats until im just about indestructable i guess. Course, in the last 10 minutes my population tripled so i need to work on my farms just a wee bit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

for heavy traps I usually use spike traps, cage traps and weapon traps in layers. The cage and weapon traps take care of ambushes and stuff automatically, but if the leader gets killed te squad has a tendency to stop there, that's where upright spikes are your friend. Ambushes and sieges will get harder over time, but the first one is usually one squad with a leader (non elite) and 8 goblins  of whatever class, or so. In one spectacular case I had kept myself below siege population for a long time, and the ambushes were about 5 squads of 15 goblins each, led by elites.

Another thing noone mentioned, around this time, people will start whining about clothing. It's a good idea to start making pig tails after you're a half year in or so

also, would like to point at d_init in the >data>init folder in DF. You can limit population (migrants) after a fashion there, and how many children will be born. Might not work as you think, so ask before panicking.

Not everyone does fine with 200+ fortresses (actually, I'm fine, but my computer isn't) and the amount of babies born is insane.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:40:53 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile

Spike traps need someone activating then, don't?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spike traps need someone activating then, don't?

That is why I say to layer them with cage and weapon traps. The benefit is that when you know an enemy is there, you don't rely on reloading cages or unjamming weapon traps. You can seriously save space by having fewer weapon traps, just make a system where you get alerted to ambushes, close the bridges, pull the lever (whenever you feel like pulling it)

It's more costly in mechanisms though.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile

I use spike traps with training spears to train faster my dwarfs (and often get rid of boring childrens).

So...

You mix spikes, weapons and cages traps all together? Or you make a small cluster of one, and then another?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I use spike traps with training spears to train faster my dwarfs (and often get rid of boring childrens).

So...

You mix spikes, weapons and cages traps all together? Or you make a small cluster of one, and then another?

this

They walk over some retracted spikes. Some get hurt by weapon traps, no warning yet. They walk over more spikes. Leader or someone gets caught in cage. AMBUSH! pauze. close bridges, start pulling lever. Even if I forget that, the cages and traps are enough to handle an ambush, maybe two, but the spikes can handle a siege. Any siege. I can show my design, but I actually stopped using it because it killed everything and gave me too many training dummies, so I had a legendary military too. It's from 34.07 so it doesn't go well with wagons and requires quite a lot of mechanisms.

dwarf_granada

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile

I would like to see.
I am quite new to the game. So i like to see some designs

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to see.
I am quite new to the game. So i like to see some designs
well, it was in 34.07, so take in no wagon access
C=cage
S= Spike
W= Weapon

SSSCSSCSSWSSWWW
SSSCSSCSSWSSWWW
SSSCSSCSSWSSWWW

nothing got past that before I could raise bridges, nothing survived once the lever got pulled. I did put another row of cages and 2 of spikes between the last 3 rows weapon traps, but I didn't need them if I actually paid attention to attackers (like closing gates in time). A good addition is something like an artifact cabinet in a side place as building destroyers will stop there.

If you want I can upload the save from 34.07. The fort mostly runs itself, too much food and booze anyway, and iirc 65% is in inactive training, I used a danger room at some point but stopped bothering, whips are native to dwarfs (and not nerved, hahahaha)

Actually, I cleaned my computer, so gotta see if I still got it

edit:
still got it. Legendary squad with some miners and some other weap legendaries. A marksdwarf squad that got some hammer skill from the danger room and then a lasher squad that is very deadly witout any danger room, and a squad of wrestler recruits (don't port to 34.07+, wrestling got dangerous there) and a CotG marksdwarf squad, everyone was free to trian. Lots of dodging, pretty good soldiers all in all, might have been better without danger room actually (better dodge/armor user)

50 out of about 130 is a lot
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:49:01 pm by Garath »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4