Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Alright, so, i survived my first year in Dwarf Fortress Mode, Any new dangers?  (Read 6325 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, one of my dwarves died, how do i bury it? I have a wooden casket ready.

Build the coffin with the (b) menu - it's "burial receptacle", either (n) or (p), can't remember. Then use (q) to look at the casket's settings, and set to burial - yes, preferably also pets - no if you don't have that by default already (can be set in d_init.txt). The body will be hauled to the coffin automatically by a dwarf with burial enabled.

Be warned that as far as I know, you can't move the coffin afterwards without destroying the remains inside. I don't know if this causes ghosts to appear or anything, but still.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

k, thanks.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just build it somewhere, then q it and allow burial. The dwarves will move the corpse in, if accessable.

While you are on it you can construct some coffins, build them and allow burial, just in case ...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Coffin
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:21:04 am by Laurin »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, the 1-tile wide, 15-20 tile long path runs into issues with traffic during heavy usage.  But for the first year or two when you only have maybe 2-3 dozen dwarves it works fine.  What I make sure to allow room for is the placement of a parallel set of paths on each side.  Connect them to each other every 8-10 tiles and dwarves will use whichever of the 3 paths they feel like.

In the following, the keep is on the east end, protected by a drawbridge that forms part of the wall when retracted.  I usually stuff the trade depot underneath the walkways at the outer end, right by the ramps (or stairs) where the dwarves come down off the walkway to the surface.

Code: [Select]
..R.....................W.
.RTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTBBB.
..T.....T.....T......TBBB.
..T.....T.....T......TBBB.
..R.....................W.

R=Ramp
B=Drawbridge (raises to east)
W=Keep walls
T=Raised walkway with weapon trap

Usually, by the time that traffic is an issue across a 1-tile wide bridge lined with weapon traps, my outer perimeter walls, bridges, pits and other defenses are in place and that line of defense is nowhere near as important.

And if efficiency is really a big deal, you can put in retracting bridges in the gaps.  But I generally don't bother as I would prefer to spend that time creating a second, similar in design, entrance to the fort opening up in a different direction.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]