Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Alright, so, i survived my first year in Dwarf Fortress Mode, Any new dangers?  (Read 6327 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

I finally made a for self-sufficient enough not to starve to death within a year, and i've only have a single dwarf die to an unfortunate draw bridge accident.

I was just wondering if there are any new dangers i face in this new year?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kobold thieves and goblin snatchers will show up. Ambushes may come after caravans.
Sieges may occur once your population is around 80 or so.
Titans can show up but I am not sure what conditions are to be met.
If you open a cavern forgotten beasts are a possible threat from below.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:54:33 pm by Laurin »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

So i should probably set up a small military?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If possible. Also make your entrance safe with a drawbridge or two and some traps.
Consider setting up a burrow to get your civilians inside if dangerous creatures arrive.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Ive got a drawbridge, i dont know how to set up traps or burrows though, ill check on youtube.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd recommend getting a trap corridor built quickly. Cage traps are very effective, and allow for having fun with captured goblins, but weapon traps are the best at grinding sieges. If you have sand available, green glass serrated disks will be very good. They're built by mechanics under the 'T' submenu of the building menu, using a mechanism, which is built at a mechanic's workshop.

If you do go for a cage trap setup, this one works very well.

The '^'s are cage traps, the '#' is a floor grate with a war dog underneath (to detect thieves) and the gray things are upright spear traps linked to a lever. That'll deal with anything they can throw at you for quite a while. If there isn't a separate merchant entrance, though, you won't get wagons from humans and dwarves.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:16:57 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

So wait, how is that set up, like, are the cage and spear traps built on the level below the bridge, like this?

_______________<Bridge
^^^^^^^^^^^ < Spears

That way, if the bridge isnt there, they would just fall into spears and cages? Or are they built on the same level as the bridge?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, sorry, those bridges were 'raising' bridges, which means that they form a wall when activated, rather than retracting. It's meant to allow you to seal off the fort easily with the pull of a lever. They don't have anything dug underneath them, and they're on the same level as the traps. You can very well make a setup where retracting bridges drop gobbos onto upright spears, though.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Alright, one more thing, are traps one time use, or do they work until destroyed?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cage traps will need to be reloaded with a new cage, and weapon traps will jam if there's a corpse on them. But no, the actual trap won't be destroyed. Spear traps don't jam, but require each one to be linked to a lever and pulled on repeat to work. Those ones will also kill friendlies, though.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have a look at the wiki article:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Trap

There are some useful tips considering the behavior of mechanics who tend to reload traps during full action ... ^^

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Alright, so im watching a video right now, and know how im going to build my traps, quick question though, how many goblins are in the average seige?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ambushes can have several squads (though more than two are unlikely in the beginning) and sieges usually have even more.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

So, should... say... 50 spikeball traps get me through the year?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like overkill for the second year ... ^^
Pages: [1] 2 3 4