Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 123981 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #480 on: August 05, 2012, 09:36:13 pm »

One evening, as the Fool was performing a little light juggling and music for one of the king's quieter dinners, he caught the bright red apples he was juggling with and posed a question to him.

"My liege, could I beg perhaps a shred of your wisdom?  I have come across a story of intriguing folly, all perpetrated by the motives of the wise, but it requires a greater mind than my own to pull apart.

"A very old and very wise uncle dies, and leaves behind two copper Hounds and a painted image of Daliochadun with his spear.  He has outlasted his wives and his brothers and sisters, but through his parents he has a niece and a nephew who might inherit.

"The nephew is a rich and prosperous man with servants and a fine house and prays regularly to many images of the gods in his chapel, and though he cares not for the coppers he desires the image of Daliochadun to complete his collection.

"The niece is very poor, a basket-weaver for whom every hound counts and who needs the gods' favour so much that she has not even a bear scratched into a rock to pray to.

"Both are the closest to inherit the old uncle's 'fortune' over his other children, but to whom the old man's belongings go depends upon a judgement so fine that one may split horsehairs with it.

The niece's bloodline ties directly to the uncle's mother, and both her parents were monogamous, with clear lineage throughout.  The faithfulness of both her parents is well-attested to, and nobody would call her parents cuckolds.  Nor, of course, would they call the nephew's.

"The nephew's claim is that of the uncle's father and thus is the stronger claim - but!  His parents were polygamous, his mother having five husbands.  The nephew's own legal father would be the connection needed for the inheritance, but of course one can never prove paternity in such a case.  If his paternity was certain, so would be his claim.

"The difficulty springs from the doubt of the case; no man but the greatest of fools would imply that the man who raised the nephew as his father was not the man whose loins he sprang forth from, but would that politeness be strong enough to pass the inheritance from the niece, whose claim is of greater distance but absolute surety?  If this case were before you, my liege, would you favour the nephew or the niece, and what would weight your decision?"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:39:17 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 05, 2012, 10:13:09 pm »

After arriving at Northwatch, he immediately looked for where the Lord of Northwatch may reside.

Look for Renart
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:20:47 pm by Kestrel_6 »
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 05, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »

"I'm not sure our foe is Haegar so do not attack until this fact is confirmed, Tellard you come up behind them, keep low and stay hidden your attacks will come after me and Ardella fire the first volley. Darnell move towards the front of the group, but don't get in their sight and wait to attack until me, Ardella, and Tellard have fired upon them. After that we move about them in circles, stay hidden and only fire from the most well hidden of locations, but keep moving so we can disorient them and pick them off one by one. As for you ally Woman, stay back and don't get in the fray unless they close on one of us then you can aid the one of us they attack. The signal for them being Haegar will be the standard call of the marsh crow, if they are not it'll be the sound of the marsh king's cry. Understood?" Trent waited momentarily for each of them before turning and pulling the cloak close around him, dropping low to the ground he drew his bow, and notched an arrow on the drawstring as he began to pad towards the hunters.

Follow the above plan, if it is a Haegar hunting party follow the plan as stated, if it is not a Haegar hunting party signal the withdraw and circumvent them. Either way be wary where we travel.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 05, 2012, 11:50:50 pm »

"The difficulty springs from the doubt of the case; no man but the greatest of fools would imply that the man who raised the nephew as his father was not the man whose loins he sprang forth from, but would that politeness be strong enough to pass the inheritance from the niece, whose claim is of greater distance but absolute surety?  If this case were before you, my liege, would you favour the nephew or the niece, and what would weight your decision?"

The King took a large bite of flank steak, chewing it thoughtfully.

"...A difficult riddle you pose, fool. And like every good riddle, there is no good answer, but only good reasoning for coming to your decision.

Personally, I would find in favor of the Niece.

In such a case, I would take surety over politeness-the Law must rely on facts and reason, not swayed by base emotion. The paternity of the Nephew is in question-there is least a four in five chance of him being born to another of her Mothers Husbands, after all, being perfectly fair.

Such a weight of uncertainty is, in my mind, enough to pass inheritance to the Niece-if a judgement cannot be absolutely right or wrong, one must weigh the numbers and choose the most probable outcome. The Nephew has the more tenuous position, and the burden of truth in this case.

Not to say Morality and common sense cannot play a part here. The inheriting Niece should be encouraged to sell the painting to his Nephew for a fair sum and avoid a feud-that way, both men get what they want, really.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 05, 2012, 11:57:38 pm »

The Fool casually picked up the gravy boat, full of peppered mushroom sauce, and tipped a little extra onto the King's plate.  He nodded with real deference and respect to Ria as he did so, in stark contrast to how he treated most of the nobility and sometimes even his king - she served his liege well, after all.  Fust took a position at the edge of the table and pressed his fingers down, leaning on them slightly.  He gave the king a look somewhere between his usual playful manner and a testing seriousness.

"Now, that was merely a test of judgement.  I have a different riddle, sire, one that you must answer with honesty.  The same situation again, only now the nephew is not just a nephew; he is a Duke, and she is but a Lady, and it is he who must make this decision and the burden of that decision lies with him alone.

"If you were that nephew, and it were not merely another's squabble to be solved, would you rule the same way?  After all, honouring the gods is important.  Nobody would blame you for ruling in favour of yourself."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 06, 2012, 01:07:01 am »

A look passes between Ria and Fool-maybe a acceptance of their shared position, tiptoeing among Giants while trying not to be trod upon...

The King thinks a moment.

"Well, there is business, and there is family. One must make room for the other.

I would choose Family. In the same position, I would allow my niece the inheritance if he allowed me to purchase the painting-a fair trade, nothing more, nothing less. Why risk bad blood over two coppers? It would seem a Sin to squabble over such earthly matters, when blood is involved.

Now, if I did not know this Niece well enough to consider him family, then I would rule in my own favor, most likely-such is the way of the world.

So, it comes to a question of value. Family or The Coin. Spirit over Substance.

I wouldn't blame a man for choosing the Coin to better himself, but if he did so over his own blood? I would pity him.

A man can starve of lack of companionship no matter how well he feeds himself, after all."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:30 am »

The Fool bowed his head for a moment, then glanced up at one of the windows.  One of the windows was stained in a fashion that had gone out of style a century ago, but it bore a semblance of the sun.

"My father was the greatest fool I ever knew," murmured Fust, "and I have tried my best to follow in his footsteps, but they are great in their folly indeed.  Like most fools, he turned to wisdom the way a flower turns to -" The Fool smiled.  "To the sun, if you pardon the reference."  The Fool launched himself off the table and did a small pirouette before facing his king again.

"Forgive a fool his meanderings, liege, for now I must bring this perambulation of words to a destination.  It is the business of folly to strive to understand the ways of wisdom, and in my studies I came across a situation such as the riddle you were just posed.  Comte Zedderous Lichtenmire, who regrettably passed away not days after your own coronation, left a truly tangled mess of an estate and an even worse tangle of succession.  How could a fool resist such a riddle!"

The Fool frowned, glancing back up at the image of the sun.  In the window beyond, darkness and an orange glow belied the city night beyond.

"I am reminded of an old story my father would tell me, when he was well into his cups.  Daliochadun once came across a web Milajyna had woven of such tangled frustration and complexity that he was compelled to cut it, thread by thread, with his spear to unravel its mysteries.  When he had cut a little more than half-way into the web he found that it was not a web at all, but the cradle of a new-born babe, and he found himself perplexed by a choice.  To press on with his cutting, to seek to understand the pattern of the cradle, or to leave it be and let the baby sleep.

"Comte Zedderous does not have much to inherit; a manor house, barely enough land to feed half a dozen knights and a title.  In the end, when I cut through the intricacies and puzzles of the web of his inheritance, I found that he had two heirs.  One, a young lady of lesser nobility; a baronet's child, scarce above a lay knight save her blood and poor by the standards of even the Count, but with a direct female line connection through her monogamous parents.  A chaste, kind woman of great virtue, in fact."

The Fool swallowed thickly and looked at his liege once again, his face strained.

"And here I must lay myself at your mercy, for I wove this web that a wiser man than I might reach the place to which I cut and see with clearer eyes than myself.  The second was a man of far greater standing, of wealth and vastly higher birth, a man who had a direct male line connection through his father, but whose mother had five fathers.

"A man with the power to change that young lady's life with his decision, one way or the other.  I looked to the sun and it blinded me, sire.  Is your vision any clearer?"

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 06, 2012, 01:39:58 am »

Osport. Nearly two decades and it had barely changed. True, the fort was a ruin and the docks were less busy, but it was still Osport. The streets were still lined with the scent of rotting bodies and excrement and there was still quite a few slave traders around. Not too different at all.

From here, Osir would prepare the embassy. It was closer to the North and from here he would be able to more easily here of any new happenings or events; this was a Haegar town after all. Of course, he couldn't allow for too many resources to be pulled here, that was just plain stupid. The surrounding swamps would not support too much men and the locals would be able to to easily steal goods. No, Osir would have to travel North in the summer. Till then however, he would stay at the fort.

The fortress was once nearly half the town. Of course, the town had grown larger as the luck of the Revechigs brightened. It had taken the Iron Queen eight months to siege the fortress, a considerable amount of time since the fortress has been undermanned and unprepared. Still didn't help when the inhabitants were butchered and most of the fort was smashed. Now it was little more than a keep. Still, it was home. Eira had made some improvements, but it was still nothing compared to Windheath.

Having settled, Osir decided to celebrate his homecoming, in the traditional way.

Call a feast for the whole of the town. Invite everyone (cep't the slaves of course) from the poorest to the richest. Allow them to petition me and state their grievances. Pretty much a more drunk and nordic court session.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:44:29 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 06, 2012, 08:41:23 am »

1. Hold Court for Everybody and find detailed information about the situation in the Crown Area
2. Send out Prospectors to find out what except for even more Gems can be found in the Crown

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 06, 2012, 02:03:00 pm »

Call a feast for the whole of the town. Invite everyone (cep't the slaves of course) from the poorest to the richest. Allow them to petition me and state their grievances. Pretty much a more drunk and nordic court session.

The feast begins on a day with relatively good weather for the season. There is much laughter and noise, and you have a hard time hearing those who wish to talk to you at first, but you get used to it. Your vassals are pleased with your restoration of the old traditions (and with the free wine) and so you get to speak with them personnally, like the Haegar clan lords of the raiding years. After a few hours, you get a good idea of who are the men under your command, what are their needs and their thoughts, and what they think of you as their lord.

The Commons

[2] Osport is a poor land for peasants. It was always poor, and it will probably always be. Perhaps your ancestors would have done well to settle somewhere else - after all, freezing marshes make for poor arable land, and there isn't much fish in the bogs. When you add the marsh trolls and the rampant disease, you get a hard land that breeds a hard, if poor, people.

[6+1] Despite the hardship of their lives, your peasants are loyal to you. Indeed, they are only loyal to you and your nobles, and have a tendency to despise outsiders - both from Haegar lands, or from Windheath. Although they do respect the authority of the king, they don't respect much else, and this has often caused strife along the borders of your land as your commoners attempt to settle in the parcels of other nobles and refuse to obey to them.

[1] As you listen to your people, you realize that this is the first time they've had a real diner in months. The land is devastated by famine - last winter was extremelly harsh and the bog ate some more of the few arable lands. Your people are hungry, even though they do not really wish to bother you with these details. The problem in itself is that there simply isn't that much space to farm around your holdings, and the peasants cannot stop the marshes from flooding their lands in spring. [Peasantry power: 1]

Steward's comments: This could be a problem. Your people are poor, but loyal; however, their loyalty won't help them if they starve. I can see multiple ways of dealing with this problem - you could spend some crowns to buy food [0,5d] for your commoners, or build a few granaries for a ducat... But if you do not fear large expenses, then you could hire workers from the south or buy slaves from Altaregia to fight back the marshes and create more arable lands. This would cost you dearly [3d] but they won't forget that, and you should truly help the people to climb out of their misery [the commoners would go from poor [2] to average [3]]

The nobility
[4] The nobles are surprisingly wealthy, compared to the peasants. They do not get their money from lands, but from hunting; they will often form small warbands with their knights and go hunting cold drakes up north, selling their hides and bones for reasonable profits. They do not care much about their peasants, in good Haegar tradition, but they do keep the taxes at a reasonable level, in order to avoid making the famine worse. [Nobility power: 4]

[4+1] The nobles are generally respectful of your authority, which is surprising for their culture. They have a long tradition of "live and let live" with your family, based upon the unspoken rule that as long as they pay their taxes and do not break any laws, their liege leaves them alone. They took it very well that you invited them for a feast and spent money on wine, and they promise you to invite you to theirs every so often. You feel like you've made friends and loyal followers today.

[3] The nobles have nothing but minor details to report. They're quite independant minded, if loyal, and you doubt they'd complain about anything that isn't very major.

Steward's comments: loyal and robust men, who have stood by your family for a long time. It was a good idea to spend money for good wine - you built a few friendships there after the first cups. They'll follow you to hell and back... As long as there's some good loot in it for them, of course.

1. Hold Court for Everybody and find detailed information about the situation in the Crown Area
2. Send out Prospectors to find out what except for even more Gems can be found in the Crown

[6] The people of crown are wealthy. They do no miss anything - there are woods to the east and west, rivers for fishing, plains for farming, lands in the mountains for cattle and sheep, and the mines. The peasants have money like no other peasants in the kingdom - most of them don't even work the fields anymore, and have slaves doing it for them. [Commoner power: 4]

[5] Luckily, the people love you and your family. They consider that they are wealthy mainly because of your efforts - which is false, but there is no harm in letting them adore you - and as such will probably obey to your demands as long as you remain reasonable.

[1] They do have some problems, though. A plague has infiltrated their lands, and causes the death of many a slave and often a few peasants, and they cannot identify the source of the problem. They decided to turn towards you in this time of need, and they show you a drawing of an infected slave. The plague seems to cause individuals to turn very pale, and their eyes to slowly become grey; in their last days they start coughing alot, and eventually they simply fall down and die. They want you to do something - anything - to help them, for they fear for their young ones and the investment they spent on the field hands.

Steward's comments: This could become problematic. The disease does not spread too quickly, but it could wipe out a few hundred peasants and thrice that number of slaves, which would affect your economy and their loyalty badly. Of course, there's not much you can do, but doing anything would help their moral. Perhaps hiring doctors or priests from the big cities, or even as a last ressort doing a witch hunt to help their spirits?

The nobles

[5] The nobles reflect their peasants in term of their wealth. They are few, but rich, and for years now they have never done anything about their lands except building mines and collecting taxes. They are all from old and proud families, descending from the days of Adran IV (or so they say) and refusing to bow their heads to anyone who is not their de jure and de facto liege. [Nobility power: 3]

[5] Since you are both of those, they are extremelly loyal to you. Of course, some would prefer to be independant, and of course, some want your title, but as a rule they will obey to your orders and demands, and bend the knees whenever you request it of them. Perhaps not with enthusiasm, but certainly with speed and modesty, and that's what you currently need and have always needed.

[4] They have seen your prospectors explore the mountains, and this has given a baron an interesting idea. He pretends there is some [5] gold in his land. Enough to open trade with the capital, to be sure, but he lacks the money to open it by himself. He would share the profits with you, if you would financially help him to build a mine and send caravans to the capital.

Steward's comments: Nothing very important here. Spend two ducats to open a trade route would help you in the long run, but the nobles will probably forgive you if you're not interested. Besides, there will never be enough for the kingdom to do international trade, but it can still get you some nice profits every year.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 06, 2012, 02:50:55 pm »

A Plague. A gods be damned plague. At least his people were among the richest in the whole Kingdom. And he found gold, that was even better.

But what to do about the Plague? Harald had never seen such a thing. Almost looked like somebody sucked out their life-force. Mayybe he could get help from the King if he described the situation as possibly dangerous for the whole Kingdom.

Spoiler:  Letter to the King (click to show/hide)

Until the time somebody would arrive he had to do something however.

Tell the people to wear cloths to cover their mouths and noses when they are around the infected. Burn the Dead Bodies and minimize contact to all Ill people. Make sure that Ill people are not drinking from public wells and try to discover how people get ill.

send a messenger with the letter to the King. The letter is of utmost importance and needs to reach the King as soon as possible.

Establish a Trade Route with Gems (2 Ducats)
Establish a Trade Route with Gold (2 Ducats)

Raise a Personal Regiment

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 06, 2012, 03:35:50 pm »

Loyal buggers, aren't they?

1.Spend 1.5 ducats on granaries and food.
2. Ask one of the nobles if I could accompany them on drake hunt.
3. Train my charisma skill.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:17:15 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 06, 2012, 06:25:04 pm »

A strange group approached the city of Stormstead, easily distinguished from afar by the shadows their figures cast as they calmly moved through the bridge and towards the city proper, leaving a good number of surprised people behind them as they did so.

One was a knight, armor polished and reflecting rays of sunlight as if the owner had recently tended to it, trying to cause the best possible impression to anyone who set their sights upon its surface. The armor seemed a mixture of the local style and foreign influences as well as masterfully built, the top half of the helmet shaped as a worg's head - as were the shoulderguards - and it was possible to see an amount of fur acting as padding in strategic sections of the armor. Behind the knight and being guided by him by its reins, a large horse pulled a cart which seemed to contain blacksmithing equipment and all the supplies a traveler might need, edges and blunt ends of weapons and tools appearing from under the thick brown cloth.

But if the knight's gait - much different from common knights, an experienced person could say - did not raise enough suspicion, his companion would...A worg, walking by his side, its size rivalling or even surpassing that of the horse which followed behind them. Its characteristic fur had signs of careful brushing, as if the monster had been undergone an attempt to appear less scary, or at the very least cleaner. Powerful claws and jaw containing sharp teeth built on a long, muscular body which had evolved for hunting and killing formed its figure. At that moment, however, the beast calmly followed the knight by its side, looking straight ahead as if trained, the only thing breaking the whole ensemble being its ears, moving from time to time in alert.

Finally, Stormstead. The knight's gaze shifted slightly inside the helmet that hid his features. Even with the hunk of steel hindering his field of vision, it was difficult not to be impressed by the place. He had never been to a city, and it was a little of a shock for him to see so many people walking around, busy with their lives, not to mention those large buildings, when the place he had come was so quiet and familiar...Talinth would not be intimated, though. He had a mission to complete; offering his loyalty and service to the king - if it failed, to any suitable nobleman - and finally initiating the work of making the Dalach soar the skies, free of the Hoarchers, that family that had them bound and gagged.

It did not take long until he realized people were constantly staring at him as he made his way through the city, occasionally asking directions to one person or another, only for some of them to cringe and retreat in fear. He supposed it was to be expected...His eyes met that of Sahainn through the slits of the armor. The wolf seemed resolute, blue eyes showing calm either achieved through time lived with the smith or due to the worg's nature of a silent predator. The young blacksmith put his hand near the beast's neck as if to indicate there was a collar hidden amidst the fur (there wasn't) and moved on to keep questioning peasants, guards and workers alike.

After some time walking around the city and attracting quite the bit of attention, he finally found the King's palace. This was big. His family depended upon him, and his future was tied to them; he could not let them down, no matter what. His heart raced a little faster, something that didn't go unnoticed by the worg, which moved closer to its human companion. Standing in front of the guards that protected the castle, Talinth sighed, remembered what the stakes were, closing his eyes and opening once again only to reveal a fiery, determined glint sparking inside them.

"Excuse me, Sir" he said, performing a slightly antiquated bow in front of the nearest guard, following what his elders had always told him about dealing with older people the first time they met.

"Is the king receiving commoners and knights at the moment?" he asked, a tinge of determination and strength showing through his voice. He just hoped things would work out fine...He had little idea of how to behave in a city or inside that environment, for that matter.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 06, 2012, 06:44:51 pm »

After arriving at Northwatch, he immediately looked for where the Lord of Northwatch may reside.

Look for Renart

A guard armed with a spear and garbed in a grey tunic, covered with matching iron chainmail, approaches you as you saunter along the streets, heading near the Keep.

"You look lost, lad. Not from here, are you?"

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Steward, has that merchant received my message?"

"He took it in stride, milord."

"Blast."

Renart looked out of the windowsill of the main hall of his keep, to see the scummy Selenid's horse in the distance. His spies wouldn't catch up without being noticed and...well, he'd doubt the man would try to move into Haegar territory.

Wait, he had a ship. Blasted Selenid!

Seeing as most of his work was done for the Spring, Renart checks on the status of the people of Northwatch, just to assure himself that Summer won't be as harsh with counter-measures against any threat to them.

If none, begin preparations for a Spring Festival! Scheduled plans: Building granaries and adding in defensible fortifications to the villages in and around Northwatch for our people's protection, pallisades and a simple drawbridge along with wooden watch towers, along with a feast in commemoration for our new King, hopefully the people didn't finish all that apple wine. (-2d)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:02:17 pm by Tiruin »

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 06, 2012, 09:24:21 pm »

Look for Renart

A guard armed with a spear and garbed in a grey tunic, covered with matching iron chainmail, approaches you as you saunter along the streets, heading near the Keep.

"You look lost, lad. Not from here, are you?"

"No I am not. I seek an audience with Lord Renart. Is he here?"

The less they know, the better...
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 101