Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 124006 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #540 on: August 09, 2012, 12:09:45 am »

"I simply need to know his... location."
"Determined, aren't you?

"I've managed to send spies after the man, but Ban is a crafty one, we haven't been able to glean anything from him other than his miserly transactions.

"What we know, and I guess my guards have told you, that Ban trades by ship, but not seen at the ports that we know of. Perhaps in a cove somewhere near Northwatch due to it's secluded location."

Renart pulled out a map, marking the roads moving out of Northwatch and it's keep, tracing the one that he knew the merchant took.

The road is a winding one, leading apparently to local villages rather than the main trade route. The track in question leads off into the fens at one point, and if one knew their way around one could use the path as a way to get to some of the old smugglers' coves on the coast or even across to Haegar lands without being seen.  If one did not know their way around, though, they could easily get lost in the bog.

"It's a dangerous path, liaison. If you do choose to pursue the man, would you like a guard compliment following your tracks, to ensure no highwaymen take their chances at you?"

Black was a strange color for one of the nobility to wear, Renart mused.

"Search the coasts when you reach the area. I could supply you with a horse for quicker travel."

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 09, 2012, 01:21:49 am »

"a horse will do, and I am quite capable of self defense. However, i may get lost on my wa, maybe a guide or tracker would help. I am no liason though... I am an... Agent for the King. Many thanks, Lord Renart."

Follow the path described to me, looking on the coast for any kind of ship. Maintain guard for highwaymen.
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 09, 2012, 06:04:21 am »

Blast now how was he supposed to get money, hmm. This problem would require delecate manouvering. First of a letter to the king should do, asking for some of the land, yes, stumbling across a small messanger he quietly gave him the letter along with 2 crowns, and the peasent went off with the letter.

Spoiler: Letter to the King (click to show/hide)

That should do it, fromwhat he had heard this king was a rather suck up one who did his best to please his subjects, so hopefully he would respond positivly to this message, in the meantime it was time to gain some allies and make a backup in case of the kings refusal. So with that he headed off for Dergards victory, to find the owner and pledge alliegence, or if the owner was weak, hopefully challange him for those lands.

Find out who owns Dergards victory and search for them
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:49 am »

"An...agent, you say?" Renart studied the clothing of the man, hopeful to see any insignia or emblem declaring the royal crown, or at least the symbolic scepter that depicted Albert's reign. He didn't see any.

Were liaisons agents in their spare time? Or was there much more to the Selenid than what appears?

"Well, if you will go alone, then I cannot stop you. I'll send one of my best men along with you, mostly for the guidance. He will leave you when you reach the coast. If you can...perhaps persuade the man to return what we've paid for his visits, then I'd be glad to see that.

"Do as you will, I shall not interrupt your journey any longer."

As the men exchanged formal farewells, and as the agent left the keep, Renart turned to speak to the nearest guardsmen.

"While I'm not one to doubt his Majesty's men, I'm not getting a good feeling on this one. I'm suspecting somethings afoot with the Selenid, and that Albert would've at least sent a messenger to inform me of his arrival.

"Send a couple scouts to watch his movements from afar - not the guide, mind you. If battle is encountered, do not engage. Report all sightings to me."

Send a single guard along with the man (Karas) as a guide - who will leave once he reaches the coast.

Send a couple of spies to track his movements.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 09, 2012, 09:04:25 am »

EDIT: Nevermind this post.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:08:13 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:02 am »

Spoiler: Letter to the King (click to show/hide)

The King pens a letter back, wondering. Surely a few villages were worth a mans loyalty.

Honorable Thunderhound

It is the least I can do for you. Your family suffered much in the War, more than anyone-and I would give you a second chance. I promise to you, the scars of the past will be healed. We will not abandon you again.

If you would like my help locating your lost family, if there are any to be found, I will assist.

-------
((OOC: Takes place after Blauritter's trip to Drachengrab.))

Stormstead, the capital of Windheath. A rather crowded place, with peddler lining the streerts at various times of the day. T'was the place that the Blauritter had to return to due to due to a shortage of funds, and a written request for a loan denied.

So it was that the Blauritter had returned to the castle, requesting an audience with the king over this matter...

The King meant Blauritter with no pomp in his throne room. If Blauritter was asking for an audience, it had to be important.

"Greetings, Blauritter. What have you to discuss?" He said, leaning forward in his throne.

Later...

The King finally got around to organizing that Marriage ball.

Action: Organize a Marriage Feast for the Kingdom-invite ladies of High Station, most especially Elise and Eliza. Invite all other Nobles to attend, who are looking for wives.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #546 on: August 09, 2012, 09:15:50 am »

Raise one squad of PG and three of basic infantry. Construct, but do not man, one ship.

Issue a statement which states that while Dechure's surroundings are free to do as they please as long as they pay their taxes and follow the law, any misbehaviour that acts against the goodbeing of the kingdom and the king shall be persecuted ruthlessly.

Send a message to the King:

The proper greetings and salutations, etc.

Your Majesty, there has been rumors, signs, and hearsay of a disease of some sort in the south. As Duc of Dechire, as the spokesman of my people, I must inquire if Your Majesty has preparations, plans, solutions, or actions to prevent or protect against the plague. Has Your Majesty's court produced a clear solution? While the South is far-off, diseases have better legs than horses and travel further than a any creation of the gods. In hopes of a reply, humbly presented by your subject;

D. Rasgar

Invite the most illustrous nobles one by one. Attempt to figure out how well connected each is by talking round and general political dialogue.

Disseminate rumors that the plague is a fabricated story made by the ones who wish to destabilize Windhelm.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 09, 2012, 09:54:16 am »

Orders for spring:
Recruit 1 PG regiment (I Heavy) and 1 in Arborvent (Archer):  -3d
Purchase a manor on the southern bank of the main river, just across from the Stormstead Isle. Fortify it. -3d

establish pearl route from Arborvent to the capital. -2d

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 09, 2012, 11:13:11 am »

Orders for spring:
Recruit 1 PG regiment (I Archer) and 2 regiments : -3

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:27 pm »

"I'm here about a financial request. I tried doing so by letter, due to the respose from that not exactly being helpful, I've had to come in person instead. I do apologize for the inconvenience of this though Mi'lord. At any rate, I need around 250 crowns for the establishment of a guild in Spiritusaer, for the metalworkers and jewelers, and all the added amenities to go along with it.

The gains in tax revenue in the long run would assuredly cover the cost of setting it all up, and likely get the cityfolk out of the terrible rut they're in currently in at the moment, what with all the times spiritusaer has been sacked and pillaged."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 09, 2012, 09:45:17 pm »

This Lord, he is awfully helpful. He must want Ban Yi Soong gone...

Head out on the path described to me, listening to the tracker. keep eyes and ears open for Highwaymen, or the Troll-hunters.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:10:19 am by Kestrel_6 »
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 09, 2012, 11:30:15 pm »

Richard travels to Altaregia, bringing the Countess with him.
Once there, he opens his court to visitors.

You settle the Countess into some chambers suitable for a prospective fiancee and hold court in the throne room.  Your steward arrives and begins herding petitioners into the room, flanked by a pair of slaves wearing fine golden chains about their necks (symbolic enough that they are almost jewellery - most of the palace slaves wear similar tin chains to signify status).  The old man has served well, but you suspect his functions will soon enough be replaced by one of your wives.  As such, the Countess listens to the petitioners and offers advice in his stead.

The Commons
[2] The slaves of Altaregia have, of course, very little power or influence.  Most of the land is tilled by said bondsmen and the minority of peasants who own them largely focus on minor feuds or struggling to make ends meet if they have no slaves of their own.  Most slaves are owned by the nobles, so freemen make up less than a quarter of grain production in the region - leaving the commons largely powerless.

[1] The expansion of the great noble estates has only increased since the War of the Hounds, to the point where only a handful of freemen remain - under increasing pressure by their lords to sell.  Many blame you for allowing this to come to pass, and the slaves of the estates are hardly happy with their lot either.

[5] A group of enterprising freemen arrive at your court with a proposition.  Baron Dundal, one of the estate owners, recently died without clear heirs.  His estates have passed to you by default and though they do not add significantly to your tax base they are nevertheless particularly rich and well-managed fields.  The freemen wish to purchase the land and farm it themselves (with you as their legal landlord), effecting a common law such that only freemen and household slaves will be able to work the fields.

On the other hand, you have received competing offers from various minor nobles for the estate.  If you carve the fields apart and redistribute them accordingly, you could fetch up to [5*2]a whole ducat in revenues, whereas selling the land whole to the freemen will only just cover the administrative costs of the sale.  Doing so will certainly improve relations with the commons, though, and the bastion of prosperity the estates would provide will strengthen their political and economic power greatly.

Countess' Comments: Money is always useful, and dividing up the land will earn you a lot of money.  On the other hand, building up the peasantry could have bonuses in the long-term that are harder to foresee, but that depends on retaining their loyalty.  The short-term boon might be better, depending on what you need the money for.

The Nobles
[5] Someone has to own all the slaves, and those someones are the collection of barons and baronets that form the local nobility.  As well as involving themselves heavily in the actual slave trade as Count Whitehaven (a former resident of Altaregia) did, the great estates of the region are all owned by nobles and the slave-worked fields create great surpluses to enrich their masters.

[4] The nobles have done well off the status quo and attribute their success to your longstanding approval of the slave industry and their actions.  They are cordial in their relations with you and open to listening to your mandates.

[5] In the wake of Count Whitehaven's death, the Countess has been dividing up her father's business and putting it up for sale.  If and when you marry her, the proceeds will be added to your treasury.  The question is whether or not to keep the transactions within the homelands.  There has been a lot of interest by Ralkarians in the business, and they are willing to offer [4*5] 2 ducats for the slaves, ship and properties on Auction Street.  The local nobility can only offer [5*2] 1 ducat but have closer familial ties to yourself and the Countess.  Selling to the nobles will encourage those ties and strengthen relations.

Countess' Comments: Depends on your priorities.  My cousins would certainly be more loyal vassals with the proceeds, but again money is always good.  After all, one should try and achieve some good with my father's work.

The Urbans
[3] Slaves do most of the grunt work in Altaregia proper.  Slaves cook, clean, repair streets and build houses (under the direction of masons).  Most of the slaves in Altaregia are owned by individual citizens or by collectives who own and rent out slaves for urban work.  As a result, though this frees Altaregia's population for more skilled pursuits it severely cuts down on the work available to free urban labourers, limiting the tax base of the town.  Power rests in the hands of a few wealthy merchants and artisans, but they do not rival the strength of the nobles in sheer wealth or influence.

[3] Although Altaregia's elite have done well from the status quo, there are many poor labourers and draughtsmen who find it hard to compete with the cheap slave labour and often have to work at the costs of hiring a slave themselves.  This opposition has caused something of a deep ambivolence toward you among the urban population.

[5] It seems this year Altaregia's population have nothing to offer you but good cheer and opportunities.  You are sure this will change soon enough.  Three of the city's most notable craftsmen arrive with their slaves; a jeweller, a master weaver and the head of the local tanners.  They are keen to encourage the city's mercantile growth and have come with a proposal to strengthen Altaregia's commerce.

They begin by noting that with the lifting of the Iron Queen's restrictions on trade the city should follow the example of its neighbours and establish trade routes with the capital.  The craftsmen assure you that if you establish routes trading pearls, wool and cattle their businesses will profit and they themselves will ensure the compliance of their fellows in whatever course you undertake in the future.

They have another proposal as well; the formation of a guild to promote the interests and training of artisans in the city.  With slave labour dealing with most untrained work, crafts and professions are the only avenue for urbanites to make a real living.  A guild work set basic standards of craft and provide avenues for the apprenticeship of new craftsmen, as well as preventing incompetents from plying their trade.  The costs on your part of establishing the guild would be significant, though; [3] 2.5 ducats.

Countess' Comments: The trade routes are presumably a given, the artisans simply want you to prioritise setting them up in exchange for their loyalty.  The guild is more interesting; it would again improve relations with the urbanites and actually strengthen them for the costs involved, but you would likely see a permanent increase in the city's tax base as a result of the improvements.  Unfortunately, the costs are not insignificant.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 10, 2012, 12:42:12 pm »

Arborvent court:

Edgard prepares a ruse for the slavers: a large pearl-diver boat is to be sent out as usual but with disguised soldiers instead of divers. When the slavers appear, they are to be lured in and captured, or sunk if they try to escape. If captured, a public execution in town square is to be performed.

Edgard agrees to the noble proposal of a land reform, and promises to hand out 2 parcels worth of land to them in exchange for traditional vassalage and military service. Edgard expects a regiment of noble levy to be ready whenever call to arms is issued.

Edgard is willing to pardon Kasten de Arvarac and his men in exchange for service to his soon to be brother-in-law. A personal letter by Edgard with the offer is to be delivereed by a lone courier to the forest, where he would no doubt be ambushed. Given that they moslty rob people the courier stands a chance at survival.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 11, 2012, 03:15:33 am »

"I'm here about a financial request. I tried doing so by letter, due to the respose from that not exactly being helpful, I've had to come in person instead. I do apologize for the inconvenience of this though Mi'lord. At any rate, I need around 250 crowns for the establishment of a guild in Spiritusaer, for the metalworkers and jewelers, and all the added amenities to go along with it.

The gains in tax revenue in the long run would assuredly cover the cost of setting it all up, and likely get the cityfolk out of the terrible rut they're in currently in at the moment, what with all the times spiritusaer has been sacked and pillaged."

The King seems a bit...annoyed.

"Duc Ursa..I am not a money lender, nor a bank for you to make withdrawls from-a King cannot show favoritism like this, lest his Vassals begin to clamor tyranny. Not even to Blauritter-as that is an honorific, and not a title to be pawned off for money.

Given your special relationship with the crown, though, you will be given special considerations...speak to Advisor Edgard on my account. You will not go home empty handed I hope, but my hand will not be in this...such a common matter. Just understand, I'm very busy these days. I can't be...fishing everyone out of the wells they've dug themselves into. The Plague may get worse, and that money may be needed for a true emergency.

I suppose you might be disappointed, but I am the King, and this is my decision. Now, if you feel Edgard does not treat you fairly and in accordance to your station, you may come back and tell me so. But honestly, Duc...I've got worse problems to deal with."

------
Send a message to the King:

The proper greetings and salutations, etc.

Your Majesty, there has been rumors, signs, and hearsay of a disease of some sort in the south. As Duc of Dechire, as the spokesman of my people, I must inquire if Your Majesty has preparations, plans, solutions, or actions to prevent or protect against the plague. Has Your Majesty's court produced a clear solution? While the South is far-off, diseases have better legs than horses and travel further than a any creation of the gods. In hopes of a reply, humbly presented by your subject;

D. Rasgar
]

The King replies thusly.

Honored Duc Rasgar

Rest assured, I have sent my newest Advisor Kninh with all due speed to check the spread of this disease at it's source. He is a learned Scholar of an Esoteric Order of Readers and Master Medico, and just recently saved one of my Guardsmans from the Worgs Bite Fever-which has claimed many. Man, woman, King and all.

In the meantime, I have ordered the city guard of be more vigilant in enforcing curfews, and spread the word among the Lords to do likewise. Keep me informed of any developments on your end.

King Albert Conricht
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:17:25 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 11, 2012, 09:56:06 am »

This Lord, he is awfully helpful. He must want Ban Yi Soong gone...

Head out on the path described to me, listening to the tracker. keep eyes and ears open for Highwaymen, or the Troll-hunters.

[6] You listen to the tracker, while making sure there are no highwaymen waiting for you up the path. [6] There are no bandits specifically in front of you; [3] a better description would be to say that there are two groups around, one on each of your flanks. [1] They have many bowmen with them, and they all ready their arrows when you realize they're there. Their leader, [3] who looks like your standard bandit, jumps down on the path in front of you and starts speaking.

"You are surrounded by [1] the Black Arrows of the North, in service of [4] Ulfric of the Stormvale clan. Surrender your money and weaponry, and we shall spare your life. Resistance is futile."

Arborvent court:

Edgard prepares a ruse for the slavers: a large pearl-diver boat is to be sent out as usual but with disguised soldiers instead of divers. When the slavers appear, they are to be lured in and captured, or sunk if they try to escape. If captured, a public execution in town square is to be performed.

Edgard agrees to the noble proposal of a land reform, and promises to hand out 2 parcels worth of land to them in exchange for traditional vassalage and military service. Edgard expects a regiment of noble levy to be ready whenever call to arms is issued.

Edgard is willing to pardon Kasten de Arvarac and his men in exchange for service to his soon to be brother-in-law. A personal letter by Edgard with the offer is to be delivereed by a lone courier to the forest, where he would no doubt be ambushed. Given that they moslty rob people the courier stands a chance at survival.

[2] The slavers do not appear whenever your trap is on the waters. Ever. Instead, they resume their operations farther away from the city, where your soldiers cannot follow them.

[6] The nobles accept your proposal of land with great enthusiasm, [4] but it seems that even if you did not tax them at all, they would never have enough money to raise more than a regiment or two of standard infantry. Not the most useful type of vassals, to say the least. [1] They expect you to grant them land no matter the fact that they will have trouble keeping their promises. Refusing now might... Tarnish your relations.

[3] The courier does reach them and deliver your message. [6] Indeed, he even comes back; [1] they send you his head.

Try to scavenge an axe from the hunters. Try to find a hiding spot to observe the fortress from.

[1] You do not manage to scavenge an axe, or anything, really. [2] You do not find anywhere to observe the fort from, either; the bastion stands in the middle of a plain, and you cannot get near without being spotted by the sentries.

Find out who owns Dergards victory and search for them
[1] Dergard's victory is long abandoned, and it supposedly belongs to the king, although more specifically the Marshal is responsible for it. Richard is the one who decides what its garrison and its commander shall be; if you desire to acquire the fort, you'll have to take it up to him.

Raise one squad of PG and three of basic infantry. Construct, but do not man, one ship.

Issue a statement which states that while Dechure's surroundings are free to do as they please as long as they pay their taxes and follow the law, any misbehaviour that acts against the goodbeing of the kingdom and the king shall be persecuted ruthlessly.

Invite the most illustrous nobles one by one. Attempt to figure out how well connected each is by talking round and general political dialogue.

Disseminate rumors that the plague is a fabricated story made by the ones who wish to destabilize Windhelm.

All four regiments will be ready for action in summer. You build one ship. [I've thought about your sailor proposal: I'll post on the OOC]

[1] None of the heralds sent to issue the statement return. It seems the commoners, or perhaps the nobles, do not appreciate the fact that you do not trust them to remain lawful and honest under your rule.

[1] The nobles send letters explaining that they cannot come. They all have a different excuse, and it is always a good one that has historical precedent of being accept by a liege to excuse a vassal's absence, but it remains an insult.

[3] No one believes the rumors - after all, the plague exists and has already killed a few dozens of people in your lands - but they are not associated to you, thankfully.

Orders for spring:
Recruit 1 PG regiment (I Heavy) and 1 in Arborvent (Archer):  -3d
Purchase a manor on the southern bank of the main river, just across from the Stormstead Isle. Fortify it. -3d

establish pearl route from Arborvent to the capital. -2d

Regiments will be ready in autumn. 'Manor' will be finished in summer. Trade route established.

Orders for spring:
Recruit 1 PG regiment (I Archer) and 2 regiments : -3

PG will be finished in autumn, the other two will be finished in summer.

My own spring actions:
Using the King's ten ducats:
-Recruit five regiments, heavy 1. (-10d) (Will be finished in autumn). Name them the First Army, X Company (Example: First Army, Third Company)
Using my own money:
-Recruit a PG regiment. Heavy 1, Cavalry (-3d) (Finished in Autumn). Name them the Royal Knights, First Company.
-Upgrade current PG regiment. Heavy 1, Cavalry (-2d) (Finished in Autumn). Name them the Royal Knights, Second Company.
-Open a Pearl trading route (-2d). 1,1d remaining.

Orders for Spring: Upgrade Personal Guard Regiment: (Cavalry) and Recruit 1 Infantry Regiment (Normal > to be used to guard the trade route): -2d - Northwatch

Both regiments will be ready in summer.

(Just reposting my spring orders, as Shoot has said.)

Spring Orders:
Raise 1 Infantry (Marine, Beserker, PG) -2.5 d

Will be ready in autumn.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 101