Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 124013 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Summer 937 AAL
« Reply #795 on: August 29, 2012, 07:54:19 pm »

"Facial hair? I can certainly provide." Ursa pulls out athe severed facial hair of Duc Edgard, holding it in her open palm.
"Very good. Payment will be five crowns."

Another priest emerges from the mists, takes the beard and coin, and fades away once more.

"Then we can begin. I took the liberty of making preparations beforehand." The figure waves their staff, and nine torches spring to life throughout the temple, and the priests lining the walls begin an ominous chanting.
The high-priest leads Ursa down to the altar, upon which are laid out a variety of curious implements and ingredients.
"Now. If you would do the honours of calling Liodnya. Be sure to instil your voice with the hatred you feel towards the target, and your eagerness to see him suffer. These feelings are conductive to our master's attention."
"Liodnya, hear my call, and destroy the duc of arborvent. Destroy everything that he loves and cherishes, drive him from the world of the living into the underworld begging you to spare him from your wrath!"
With a quiet hiss several of the torches dim, and the chanting grows softer, yet more malicious. The high priest nods, and motions to the shadows. A priest steps forwards, bearing a bowl of ashes- the remnant's of the duc's beard- and begins to mix them with the other substances upon the altar. Thick brown liquid bubbles, dusts change colour, brightly coloured smoke spirals through the air.

The chanters in the shadows step closer to the altar, repeating the same verse over and over. A statue of Liodnya is brought forth, and set before the altar. The high priest bows unto it, and intones
"Liodnya of the shadows, of the cold, of the dark. Liodnya of the greedy, of the sneaky, of the rich. Liodnya of the things man knows not; hear our call. A noble of high standing has requested your service; she has paid, in coin, and in treachery. We beseech thee, Liodnya, to hear her request, and see the Duc of Arborvent ruined, cursed, outcast."
He repeats this incantation several times- in several languages. The ongoing alchemy upon the altar grows more fervent; the fumes thicker, more toxic.
"Liodnya has heard your call.", says the high priest eventually. "He will honour your request. Intone now thrice the name of the ice god, thrice the name of the target, and thrice the ills you would have befall him. Then spit into the vessel,"- he indicates a bowl of shimmering ashes, smouldering softly upon the altar-"and the curse will be done."
Long Live United Forenia!

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #796 on: August 29, 2012, 08:52:46 pm »

It had been a long journey, several months because of various delays and issues. There were skirmishes with pirates, rebel lords who had tried to make them pay for sailing through the sea, rat infestations (which were solved by eating the rats), misdirection, and many others. The only stops had been for supplies, and a boring, depressed atmosphere settled upon the whole ship.

The crew and Anakyrto had gotten tired of even asking "How much longer?".

"I see the mouth of Arendal!" shouted the captain. No rejoicing. No one even trusted the captain's sense of direction anymore.

"Are you sure this is it?" asked Anakyrto. "This isn't the first time we've arrived."

"Of course I'm sure! Why, my lad, don't you believe me? Do you doubt my skills?" asked the captain, slightly bewildered. "I don't get why you're so skeptical all of a sudden. What does this look like to you?"

"Oh, no. Don't mistake my words for an insult, captain, " said Anakyrto. "I merely wished to ensure that this was the correct river before we sailed into it."

"Well it's a river, right? And the map says it might take a while, " explained the captain. "And it has! Several months, by my count. Longer if you count the periods when we were stranded, without a ship on the shore almost starving."

"I still wonder how that happened."

"So do I. But I guess we'll never know!" said the captain happily. "To Stormstead!"

And the captain was right, this time. In a short while, the city of Stormstead loomed in the distance. A few more hours, and they had reached the points. The docked, Anakyrto paid the fee, and got off.

"Do what you will, just make sure you are ready to move by tomorrow!" he told the ship crew.

Anakyrto stepped off the boat, onto the well-worn, but still mantained dock. Among the boats he saw many fishing boats, some big and some small, but very few armed ships. A good sign.

This city is far larger than my home. This means even more to do to correct this city! thought Anakyrto. To think of all the people who need my help...

Attempt to gain an audience with the king.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 30, 2012, 12:25:01 am »

"Yes. And not take command, I dislike having power over other men and women, so someone you know and trust to lead them. we stay off the roads, and head to this village with the traitor. Discern their location, attack them, using your marksmen, kill them all, I get my gear, they remain behind, and I pose as a messenger from you, ask to speak quietly in his cabin, kill him, and your ranger 'eliminate' the crew. Everything on the ship is yours, and it can be written off. After all, smugglers die all the time...

It could be accomplished with a small group of well trained Rangers, experts with their bows and silent as Death itself. With a group like this, both groups don't stand a chance. Or you could send a unit of soldiers to root out the group, andpeople would certainly be happier."

Renart moved to the window overlooking the land, clasping his hands behind his back, "While the Rangers serve under my hand, I will not send all of them on a mission that would involve inter-continental consequences including the confiscation of a Selenid ship. You do know, that I have helped you with that Selenid before until you gave me your identity in return, yes? Answer me this: Does anyone else know of your identity and your connection to the King?

"Lastly..."
The thought of a part of Trent's regiment doing something important to the realm would benefit him, including his agenda, now that Karas presented it.

"...in either way you decide, I will send three of Trent's loyal men with you to help, but you must return the favor in kind, Agent when I send my call for you. I know not why you were sent to kill Ban Yi Soong, but I wouldn't want to hinder a vassal to the King and his affairs. I bind you by your word, and entrust you with that task. I mean, three people are not what makes an army, yes?"

Oh the sweet irony of this...

"If I may ask, who sent you on this fool's chase? "

If no further dialogue would be given, start the Cold Drake Hunt. Renart, including his Personal Guard, Trent's Ranger Regiment and the Lords of the Northwatch will be the only ones participating (as everyone else seems busy.  :P)

Provide Karas with 3 guards for whatever quest he plans to go on...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:23:25 am by Tiruin »

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 30, 2012, 03:25:18 am »

"Yes. And not take command, I dislike having power over other men and women, so someone you know and trust to lead them. we stay off the roads, and head to this village with the traitor. Discern their location, attack them, using your marksmen, kill them all, I get my gear, they remain behind, and I pose as a messenger from you, ask to speak quietly in his cabin, kill him, and your ranger 'eliminate' the crew. Everything on the ship is yours, and it can be written off. After all, smugglers die all the time...

It could be accomplished with a small group of well trained Rangers, experts with their bows and silent as Death itself. With a group like this, both groups don't stand a chance. Or you could send a unit of soldiers to root out the group, andpeople would certainly be happier."

Renart moved to the window overlooking the land, clasping his hands behind his back, "While the Rangers serve under my hand, I will not send all of them on a mission that would involve inter-continental consequences including the confiscation of a Selenid ship. You do know, that I have helped you with that Selenid before until you gave me your identity in return, yes? Answer me this: Does anyone else know of your identity and your connection to the King?

"Lastly..."
The thought of a part of Trent's regiment doing something important to the realm would benefit him, including his agenda, now that Karas presented it.

"...in either way you decide, I will send three of Trent's loyal men with you to help, but you must return the favor in kind, Agent when I send my call for you. I know not why you were sent to kill Ban Yi Soong, but I wouldn't want to hinder a vassal to the King and his affairs. I bind you by your word, and entrust you with that task. I mean, three people are not what makes an army, yes?"

Oh the sweet irony of this...

"If I may ask, who sent you on this fool's chase? "

If no further dialogue would be given, start the Cold Drake Hunt. Renart, including his Personal Guard and the Lords of the Northwatch will be the only ones participating (as everyone else seems busy.  :P)

"The only people who know are the King and one of the King's Bravos. I do believe three will suffice. And I had recieved a letter telling me to kill him, 10 Crowns for his death, 20 for the business ledger. And if you ask of me, I will try and find Captain Trent, and assist him on his troll hunt."
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 30, 2012, 07:39:11 am »

Renart nodded.

"Word has spread, then. I cannot welcome Trent back with open arms unless he appeases Prince Richard, but if you aid him and ensure his safe return, then I'm sure that wouldn't go against his highness' order to shoot him on sight.

"On my land, that is."

An open man. This Karas is interesting. Only two other people know of his true identity other than me...

Very interesting, indeed.

"Then fare thee well, Karas Sirenna, Claw of the Adranic King. I've sent word to my men, and they have replaced their usual wear with traveler's cloaks and equipment for rough terrain.

"Do try to keep them alive, Agent. I shall send my regards to his Majesty on this...opportune moment."

As the nobleman led his fellow back down the stairs and out into the courtyard, he noted a squire approach with the reins of his horse.

"Now if you've something to say, make it quick. I will be going on a hunt to purge the Northwatch from vermin. This is the main reason on why I can't issue a full regiment to your aid, Karas, but the attention and notice of my leave will probably distract any roving bandits from attacking anyone in or around Northwatch for some time.

"Use it wisely."

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 30, 2012, 08:53:43 am »

Follow the rangers.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08:22 am »

Renart nodded.

"Word has spread, then. I cannot welcome Trent back with open arms unless he appeases Prince Richard, but if you aid him and ensure his safe return, then I'm sure that wouldn't go against his highness' order to shoot him on sight.

"On my land, that is."

An open man. This Karas is interesting. Only two other people know of his true identity other than me...

Very interesting, indeed.

"Then fare thee well, Karas Sirenna, Claw of the Adranic King. I've sent word to my men, and they have replaced their usual wear with traveler's cloaks and equipment for rough terrain.

"Do try to keep them alive, Agent. I shall send my regards to his Majesty on this...opportune moment."

As the nobleman led his fellow back down the stairs and out into the courtyard, he noted a squire approach with the reins of his horse.

"Now if you've something to say, make it quick. I will be going on a hunt to purge the Northwatch from vermin. This is the main reason on why I can't issue a full regiment to your aid, Karas, but the attention and notice of my leave will probably distract any roving bandits from attacking anyone in or around Northwatch for some time.

"Use it wisely."

"may the gods stand at your back"

Go to the village I previously attempted to go to, using the best scout to find a path there. When there, locate the traitorous 'guide' that sold me out, and take him somewhere private.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 30, 2012, 02:58:58 pm »

"Liodnya has heard your call.", says the high priest eventually. "He will honour your request. Intone now thrice the name of the ice god, thrice the name of the target, and thrice the ills you would have befall him. Then spit into the vessel,"- he indicates a bowl of shimmering ashes, smouldering softly upon the altar-"and the curse will be done."
Ursaperforms the ritual, thrice intoning the ice god, thrice intoning Edgard, the Duc of Arborvent, and thice intoning all the fell misfotune that should happen to him, before spitting into the bowl on the altar.

"You can speak freely here, Duchesse. I have made sure these walls, at least, have no ears."

Such as was the castle designed-some hallways carried the faintest whispers for miles, other rooms (like the one they were in) had thick, heavy walls that muffled all sounds.

Albert had spent a good deal of time sneaking his way around the castle when he was a boy (usually with a girl), and he knew every one.
"Well I wanted to talk about something I mentioned at the feast, milord..."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 30, 2012, 03:53:32 pm »

Go to the village I previously attempted to go to, using the best scout to find a path there. When there, locate the traitorous 'guide' that sold me out, and take him somewhere private.

[5] You reach the village without any trouble, and no bandits beset you this time. [2] The guide is dead. He was an honest, hard working man by all accounts, but your absolute failure to negotiate with the bandits (going as far as to anger them with your apparent stupidity) forced him to defend himself against the brigands, and although you survived to the encounter because they believed killing an imbecile like you was below them, he did not have that chance.

after the feast, search Stormstead with wife, for a proper gift.  Also visit my uncle and cousin. *on phone, don't wish to search for the post about blacksmiths that mention them*

[3] Stormstead is a great city. There are jewelers for those wishing to fall into a woman's favor, smiths to craft weapons and armor for knights, sculptors and painters for pieces of art... There is plenty of choice to be had, but nothing strikes you as particularly proper for the situation. [/] You visit your uncle and cousin.

Move onward, further into Haegar lands towards the troll land.

[5] You go further north, into the lands where trolls have not been hunted to extinction by men. Miraculously, you manage to remain orientated and to avoid trouble throughout the travel. Now, you have a choice. You can either go into the mountains, looking for the clans that are supposed to live there, or turn east and attempt to reach the few bogs of the world where marsh trolls are still seen.

-----

Ursa's curse

[3] Nothing happens as Ursa finalizes the ritual. Perhaps Liodnya chose not to present any signs of her actions to you mere mortals.

[1] Rumors immediately begin sweeping the city about how Ursula of Spirituaser cursed Edgar of Arborvent over... Apparently nothing. The nobles and courtiers discuss in shadows what could have caused such hatred; no one finds any answer. The Crown Prince (and the minor nobles who had been listening to the conversation) all agree that Ursula acted aggressively for no known reason after Edgar spoke to her. Granted, the Duc did not react in a gallant manner to that anger, but he was within his rights and no remark was worth a challenge to a duel - much less a curse. As the story began to spread to the lower parts of society, a generally negative response to Ursa's actions formed in the city. Commoners shouted insults when they saw her in the streets; nobles whispered and frowned.

[6] However, it seemed her curse worked, somehow. Bad luck seemed to fall upon the Duc, whose lands were hit by bad storms from the east the same week. Fog surrounded his castle, and ravens settled inside the highest tower, giving it a most terrifying aspect. This did not exactly help Ursa's cause, however; Liodnya was well known to grant favors no matter why they are asked for as long as someone makes a donation to the priests.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 30, 2012, 07:32:06 pm »

Albert had spent a good deal of time sneaking his way around the castle when he was a boy (usually with a girl), and he knew every one.
"Well I wanted to talk about something I mentioned at the feast, milord..."

The King nodded.

"Us, together, you said...

It is hard for me to say, but your actions tonight have restricted my choices somewhat. The estimation of yourself will not be golden come morning among the people."

He sighed.

"...Those who would seek the hand of a King, mi'lady, must be graceful and wise. Perhaps even more so than I. It does not matter, how much I would enjoy your company...every decision comes with the weight of mountains. Even who I marry. Even who I love..."

Albert fell silent, thinking of the announcement he was going to make soon.

Later

Albert had been beset all night. Lady Eliza-his first choice of partner-had been patient, but they had not a moment to spare until everyone else had almost left.

He finally danced with her.

After, he pulled back. Then he took a knee.

"Lady Eliza. You have charmed me quite enough, and I know you tire of waiting to dance. Your grace and poise are second to none. I can no longer pretend to be fair to the others.

There are few others I would choose to spend my life beside. And while I must always weigh my duty...my heart also tells me to do this. I follow both.

I must ask humbly your hand in marriage, Eliza."

Albert wondered if he was making the right choice. He was nervous, oddly enough. The man can lead nations, but it's not like he had proposed before.

He suspected it might be a double marriage-Elise might be needed, if for nothing else than to silence the critics. But time would tell...

Action: Albert asks Eliza to marry him

-------
This city is far larger than my home. This means even more to do to correct this city! thought Anakyrto. To think of all the people who need my help...

Attempt to gain an audience with the king.

The Kings Guards stop you at the castle gates.

"Ah, name and reason for entrance, Saer? What does you need to see the King fer?" a raven haired woman with a battleaxe says to you, rhyming possibly intentionally. She's smiling cheerily. Hmm.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 30, 2012, 08:14:48 pm »

((Actually I thought that meeting was taking place a day or so after the feast :P ))

"I would be in complete understanding if you rejected my proposal after my actions during the feast mi'lord. I shall remain a faithful vassal irregardless of whether you accept it or not."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 30, 2012, 08:16:07 pm »

"Damn, these bastards must be covering their tracks"

Ask around the village for any clues as to their base or direction of travel. Be ready to get attacked at any moment.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 30, 2012, 08:26:52 pm »

((Actually I thought that meeting was taking place a day or so after the feast :P ))

"I would be in complete understanding if you rejected my proposal after my actions during the feast mi'lord. I shall remain a faithful vassal irregardless of whether you accept it or not."

Albert spoke to her, not unkindly.

"Rejection is too unkind a word...but if you want to be with me, you must show the world the Woman I know. She is stronger than to be baited so easily as she was tonight-a warrior, with honor and courage. Do not let yourself be drawn into these petty feuds, they are beneath you. Let everyone know who you really are."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 30, 2012, 08:50:52 pm »

Talinth approaches the palace just in time to hear the rhyming guard. He smiles a bit behind his faceplate and stops where he was, deciding to watch the scene from a certain distance, although he can't help but wonder how unusual it was for a an axe to be seen around Windheath, as well as the number of female guards.

In his home, he had been told that in Stormstead almost every single soldier was male and almost any weapon aside from the sword was forsaken. The smith supposed the king's palace probably had a bit more of a flavor than most places. Sahainn seems to realize he wants to pass unnoticed and hides before they are both seen by the guard.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 30, 2012, 09:59:39 pm »

Action: Albert asks Eliza to marry him

Eliza almost kneels herself, lowering her face to just above yours.  She takes your hand and kisses it with the utmost respect, then whispers into your ear.

"Yes... [6] as your second wife."  She pulls back and looks at you with the utter seriousness of someone bred among the most scheming of nobility.  "Never tell my father I said that, but you are king.  Your first responsibility is to your kingdom, and you must secure alliances from without.  My allies will grumble, but we rise or fall with you, my liege."

Forging armour for Sahainn.

You are used to armouring men and making barding for horses, not worgs.  [6-1+1] That said, you have made some contacts on Craftsman Street during your stay and after a little conference with Arondson and his friends amongst the leatherworkers you think you have a design that could work - but it will prove complicated and expensive.  You will need at least [4] eight balluns* [40 crowns' worth] of steel to work with yourself, [5] though the lamellar plate designs are very workable.  You will need to achieve three successes (success of 4 or more, failure costs 1 ballun/5 crowns) to forge them, or else pay 30 crowns to Arondson to do the job for you.  [5] Although you will need good tough leather for the backing and supports, you only need three balluns [15 crowns].  [1] The girdle will be very complicated to construct, requiring 5 successes (success 4+, failure 1 ballun), though the leatherworkers will do the job for 25 crowns.

Normally you would not have to bother with special leatherworking, but this is a very unusual armour design.  Given the expense of some of the items involved, you may wish to find a charismatic or diplomatic friend to assist you in the buying - or a less legitimate source for a discount.

*A ballun is a measurement of weight.  One ballun of good steel at normal market prices in Stormstead would cost five crowns.

Quote from: Skill Challenge!
You have been tasked to complete a skill challenge.  Complete the following steps to acquire your desired reward: special combat circumstances for Sahainn.
- Acquire 8 balluns of steel and 3 balluns of leather.  You may be able to negotiate better prices than market - or be short-changed.
- Forge or have forged the metal plates.  [3 successes, Difficulty 4 - get a 4 or better to succeed]  (Your metalcrafting skill counts here.)
- Work or have worked the leather girdle.  [5 successes, Difficulty 4] (You are not a leatherworker.)

"Damn, these bastards must be covering their tracks"

Ask around the village for any clues as to their base or direction of travel. Be ready to get attacked at any moment.

[5] The people of the village are understandably tacit about the location of a lot of armed men, but an elderly man catches you when you are not seen and identifies himself as a former Ranger.  He reveals the location of a hollow concealed among the marshes - practically invisible until you get right next to it.  [?] The old man gives you very explicit directions, which you follow throughout the evening without hassle until you reach the hollow in question [6] and discover that it is most certainly occupied.  About a dozen tents are camped out in the hollow, including one much larger tent in the centre.  You suspect that Renart's movement has made all the bandits pull back to the nearest safe ground; their base camp.  [5] It is night, though, and cloudy at that.  There is also plenty of vegetation around the hollow to conceal yourselves [5] and there is only a single guard patrolling the edges of the camp with a bow.  The bandits appear very secure in their position, [6] as all the talking informs you.  Light streams freely from the big tent and there appears to be drinking and feasting ongoing.  Aside from the unlucky patrolman everyone is awake and presumably in the central tent.  [6] You can't get a good guess of numbers, but you would say more than two dozen bandits must be camped here.  Too many for your party to take on in a straight fight.

How would you like to proceed from here?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 101