Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 123998 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Summer 937 AAL
« Reply #870 on: September 06, 2012, 05:53:39 pm »

While refilling both glasses with wine, Rakam starts, in a trusting tone:

"Pray tell, friend, how do you view young Albert's rule thus far? Though many find it it a refreshing break from the Iron Queen's times, I've seen far too much in my time not to recognize that no kingdom is held together by velvet gloves alone... Even now our nobles run amock, trying to seize vassals from Windheath's neighbouring kingdoms, while others, in a delusional frenzy, press for a fruitless war with the Haegar"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:16:53 pm by Azthor »

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 06, 2012, 08:36:21 pm »

Ask around for directions to any fishing villages on the coast
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 06, 2012, 10:18:38 pm »

Renart cursed fate as the drakes overwhelmed part of his forces on the far side of the hill, only aided partially by the arrows of the Rangers.

He tapped the leader's shoulder. "They have the advantage of smell and the dark. Do you think they have acute hearing?"

"We won't know until we try."

Blow the horns of war! Order the spearmen or any survivors to form a double phalanx on their end, shields and spears forming a wall of pointy death!

While doing such, retreat under the cover of sound to the hill. Reinforce position, and work to keep our men alive. If possible, light arrows and fire them straight into the marsh at strategic points to smoke out the hiders into open ground.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 07, 2012, 11:05:55 am »

"Well met, my king, " said Anakyrto. "I came to this fine land in the hopes of improving the general state of chivalry and living for everyone. With that in mind, the most important and influential person to talk to is the ruler of the kingdom.
"But more than that, my intention is to ensure that you have many people at your side that you can trust with your life. In time, I hope to become one of them. However, in the meantime, I would like to offer you all my services and resources. Will you accept?"

"Your offer of loyalty is a welcome one, Saer. How can you be of service?"" Albert said, rubbing his chin.

-----------

"No, my liege.  It... [?] It was me, sire.  I stole from the tables, sire, and whatever else I could find and sold them for money so I could spend it on drink and wenches.  I cannot say where the stolen items are now, sire, I just sold them to travelling peddlars, but when you strip and banish me I only pray that my belongings can go some way toward the cost if not the dishonour.  I have parents, and siblings, sire.  I pray only that they do not suffer for my misdeeds, save living with the shame I place upon them."

The Bravo unhooks the dual scabbards from his belt and kneels, laying them at your feet.  He remains knelt, awaiting your judgement.

Albert sighs.

"I sense there is a deeper mystery here, one that may elude me-but if you take responsibility for this, then the choice is your own.

As for punishment...I shall not banish you. I need everyone, and talent is a resoruce I cannot squander. Your rank and pay will be reduced, instead-and you shall receive 15 lashes this next sunrise, in addition to a month in the dungeon. This is my mercy for you, Bravo. Heed it well."

OOC: Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been very distracted and depressed lately. :(
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #874 on: September 07, 2012, 03:17:48 pm »

"Well, since you inquire, my lord, I am capable of many things, but I specialize in dealings with other people, be they leaders, paupers, or religious, " responded Anakyrto. "If there are enemies that you wish to no longer battle, or those who you wish to walk with, I will go, and obtain a treaty for you. If gthere is trouble in your kingdom, you have but to askand I will respond promptly. However, I have heard of a certain Messiah in this city, who openly preaches war and supremacy.
"If you trust me, I would advise that this man's preachings not be let loose upon the world, but most certainly not past our own borders, lest others silence themdelves in their dealings with us, especially if we do naught about it. Howeve, I do as you command."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 07, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »

Talinth stared first at the Bravos then at Sahainn. Apparently, he would need to be a little more through in his investigations...Their companionship was shielding the bigger truth behind the situation.

After the King is finished with his interrogation session, continue investigating around the inn, leaving Sahainn to hide at a distance where she'll be able to spring into action if combat erupts during questioning of other people.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 08, 2012, 10:08:40 pm »

[For the sake of clarity, I am going to leave Ardas' conversation to Iituem (I don't know where he wanted it headed when he started). Same goes for the battle; he has specs in narration in mind, and I don't want to mess with his plans.]

1. Check opinion of wandering holy men on Prophet.
2. Check opinion of established clergy.
3. Check with the local inquisitor if there have been any reports of heresy in recent years or even heretics currently held in prison.

[2+1 vs 6] Most wandering holy men appear to have a negative opinion of the prophet. Although the Messiah does most of his preaching through the commoners, who appreciate him, the actual clergy is actively trying to slow them down - and failing, as evidenced by the fast spread of this new faith. [1+1 vs 4] The same goes for established priests of the area; they view the Prophet's actions as very bad news for the good people of Windheath, and have started saying sermons preaching against him. [1] There have been no reports of new heresies in a hundred years; most get assimilated into the Adranic Polytheism in a matter of months, and as such the only real job of Inquisitors is to root out Aldanic missionaries (who are rare that far up north) and Haegar priests (who are vastly unpopular).

As the clergy starts acting against the Messiah's influence, he looses his advantage in converting the masses.

Ask around for directions to any fishing villages on the coast

[2] There are no fishing villages on the coast in these parts. The permanently warring Haegars raid them and burn them down too easily, which always kills any growing economy in the egg. The peasants prefer to farm and hunt further into the mainland rather than face the longships.

While refilling both glasses with wine, Rakam starts, in a trusting tone:

"Pray tell, friend, how do you view young Albert's rule thus far? Though many find it it a refreshing break from the Iron Queen's times, I've seen far too much in my time not to recognize that no kingdom is held together by velvet gloves alone... Even now our nobles run amock, trying to seize vassals from Windheath's neighbouring kingdoms, while others, in a delusional frenzy, press for a fruitless war with the Haegar"

[1+1] [?] Despite his heavy drunkenness, you notice that the king stops drinking as soon as you talk of Albert. He eyes you vaguely suspiciously, and when he speaks his voice sounds (falsely) sober. He mutters a few things about refusing to judge a liege so early in his rule, and comments that although nobles are serving their own ambitions, they have well served Albert so far. [4] Soon enough, though, he spots a pretty slave and is distracted for a few minutes as he 'comments' on her looks. When he focuses on you again, he returns to his previous state of merry drinking.

"A noble from a foreign land, here to bring help in...this war. So, foreign noble, meeting with your king and due to the aforementioned help I'll try and bring for your side of this fight." Ril responded simply, calmly, arms crossing over his leather vest after stifling a yawn, two guard flanking him.

"I'd assume you would want some assistance to stop this war and reclaim the lands that are your due. ."

[1] "A foreign noble, here to help us in the war against Arendalis? Yeah, right. Even if you were a foreign negotiator, no kingdom would offer us help without wanting something we're not willing to give; and even if there was such a kingdom, Donnerstein needs no help to fight its war. Bugger off."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 09, 2012, 05:03:54 pm »

Quote from: Shootandrun to Adwarf
[5] You go further north, into the lands where trolls have not been hunted to extinction by men. Miraculously, you manage to remain orientated and to avoid trouble throughout the travel. Now, you have a choice. You can either go into the mountains, looking for the clans that are supposed to live there, or turn east and attempt to reach the few bogs of the world where marsh trolls are still seen.

Tiakath and Trent: Trent seems indecisive, so the rangers suggest going into the mountains.  You journey for some time, [2,3,4] and the weather grows cold and bitter.  Trent, already suffering from his healing wounds, grows sick.  [6] The rangers insist on stopping at a cave until his illness passes, and in the process [4] get trapped in the cave during a heavy storm.  Logs and stones block the entrance, [6] and when the blockage is finally cleared the disruption causes a second avalanche, blocking the path they had intended the take.  They are forced upward to the higher reaches, [?] where they find what appears to be a wide goat trail leading up into the mountains.

You follow the path, and crossing over a rise [6] you stumble upon a pair of large humanoids who seem extremely surprised to see you.

Slay the wolves, quickly and quietly. Use EVERYTHING of the beats: Bone, meat and fur, EVERYTHING.

[1+1 vs 3] It's hard to move quietly in full armour, and as you move toward the alpha female she opens her eyes.  [5+2 vs 2] You bring your sword down on her skull quickly, crushing it, but not before she lets out half a yelp of surprise.  The other wolves awaken, [3+2 vs 1] and you take out a cub as they struggle to their feet.  [3+1 vs 1, 3 vs 2, 4+1 vs 5, 5 vs 4] You and your guards work quickly, putting down the wolves as quickly as they rise up.  You struggle for a few moments with the alpha male, but he too succumbs to cold steel.

[4+1] You don't have to skin beasts for a living and you don't hunt as much as Prince Richard does, but with the tracker's help you skin and butcher the animals.  The tracker cuts the meat into thin strips and come morning he will dry them out on the snow for a day before you proceed.  If you ever make it back to civilisation, the wolf furs will be worth 5 crowns.

You wait out the storm and proceed on north, [4,5,3] your new wolf furs protecting you well against the weather.  [6] You cross into the mountains, where shelter is scarce but you are able to find it.  Your tracker picks out a surprisingly easy path through the high reaches - and you discover why the path exists.  [2] A pair of mountain trolls are stood smack in the middle of the path, in front of which are four very surprised human travellers.

You've never seen a troll up close before, and they certainly are up close.  They tower above you, twice your own height.  You could be forgiven for thinking them large, ugly humans.  Their bodies are thick, huge and grey as the stone around them; there is not so much of a wisp of hair upon their pallid skin.  Their necks are short and thick; their heads seem to just protrude like fleshy mounds from their torsoes.  They have hands like men, and their faces have a horribly human cast to them - save the disconcerting lack of eyebrows and the golden, wolf-like eyes.  Their lower incisors are enlarged, to the point that they could be called tusks - they jut slightly up from their lips.  Brutish as the trolls are, there is a trace of civilisation to them.  Both wear skirts of wolf fur covering their loins, though the female exposes her hard stony breasts to the open air.  The male wears a necklace of teeth.

Neither wears armour.  Neither needs armour.  That pallid skin is leather as tough as a cold drake's hide.  Those muscles could pound the blood from you harder than any warhammer.  You outnumber them, but it matters little; their sheer size is enough.

[5] The trolls hesitate rather than attacking immediately.  Any of you could still run.  The gods have given you the chance to escape - or else rush headlong to your fate.  [3] It is just before dawn, and the first rays of sunlight have not yet pierced the horizon.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:33:59 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 09, 2012, 05:35:42 pm »

Slip past the trolls while the rangers attack. Gos willing, they will never notice we were there.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:14:05 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 09, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »

Trent nods his head at the large humanoids and quickly knocks an arrows before drawing the bow back, his fellow ranger's doing the same he quickly yells "Split and surround them from all sides, do not let them close in on you! Aim for the eyes and hope you kill them quick." With that he let an arrow loose and began scrambling off to the side as he prepped another arrow.

Have the other two rangers split up and circle around the trolls firing arrows when they get the chance and staying away from the things.
I myself do the same and aim my shots at their eyes hoping to kill them swiftly.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 09, 2012, 06:34:13 pm »

Fight them, with an emphasis on stabbing the eyes and dodging.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 09, 2012, 06:58:58 pm »

Edgard noticed Chalres approaching and turned his way.
"Why, yes Your Majesty. In these time os turmoil and uncertainty, its good to forge familial bonds between nations like ours."

"Indeed, indeed," says Charles.  "I understand your own sisters are vying for Albert's hand?"

"Well, His Majesty Albert is a fine bachelor, and my sisters were eager to meet him and his brother. They seem taken in by each other too, from what I hear."

"Indeed, it would appear so.  An interesting choice on your part, I must say.  Parnoth and his... associates.  I assume you already know."

"Know what, Your Majesty?"

"About their claim.  To the thrones?"

Edgard was genuinely surprised. "A claim? Why, Your Majesty, this is the frist time I hear of this. Truly, I did not know that such situation was present in your realm."

"It isn't.  They have a claim on the thrones of Windheath and Donnerstein.  Parnoth's own daughter, in fact.  Third removed cousin of Arvin Conricht.  Somewhat indirect blood relative, but... blood relative of the Conricht dynasty.  Through his wife's line.  You really hadn't heard?"

"Ah, that is a whole different matter altogether then. A rather complicated matter too. But beleive me when I say that anything ongoing with duc Parnoth is of pure coincidence on my part.  My family was serving Conrichts ever since War of the Hounds, my loyalty lies with my king, regardless of claims."

"Of course.  As you say, in these times it is good to forge familial bonds.  Tell me, have you ever been to Donnerstein?"

"No, your Majesty. I've never been there. Why do you ask?"

"I went myself when I was very young, before the long war.  I understand it was beautiful, then."  The king gets a strange look in his eye.  Thirty years of war can have that effect, of course."  Charles smiles.  "Perhaps, if all is well, you and I may see it beautiful again some day.  My Queen and I hold a winter ball every year at the capital.  You are of course invited, as are your wives."

"I understand that the war is of great pain to you and your realm. I do not want to pry too much your majesty, but have you planned to how to resolve this conflict?"

"Oh, the resolution is quite simple.  My cousin and his sons either surrender their claim to the Grand Duchy of Donnerstein or I take that crown off his head.  I'll take the head with it, if I must.  Of course, that isn't the reason for the latest... fallout.  He is claiming Adran's throne, as his father did."

"Well, the solution is simple, but I take that the execution of this action took longer than expected. No offense intended."

Charles sighs and nods.  "As I have told you, it has been a long war.  Donnerstein has long had forts on the Arendal, you see.  My great grandfather built some of them, in fact.  He built them perhaps a little too well for my liking."  If Kathryn had just... well, no matter.  This has become perhaps a rather serious talk."

"Yes, perhaps such talk is better reserved for war room."

Charles smirks at that.  "Perhaps.  Again, I extend my invitation to the ball this winter.  Do come along."  He pours out a couple of goblets of wine and stares into the distance.  "William is embarassing himself, I see."

Talinth stared first at the Bravos then at Sahainn. Apparently, he would need to be a little more through in his investigations...Their companionship was shielding the bigger truth behind the situation.

After the King is finished with his interrogation session, continue investigating around the inn, leaving Sahainn to hide at a distance where she'll be able to spring into action if combat erupts during questioning of other people.

[5] Your interrogations continue quietly for most of the night without much success, but come morning you return to the palace to see the young Bravo stripped to the waist and tied to a post in the courtyard.  The courtyard is deserted; Bravos have ensured that the public cannot come in or see this.  Captain Barran himself stands by the post with the whip.  The only other person watching besides yourself, the Bravos and Sahainn is the young woman you have been following before, Mary, watching from an archway.

When the first ray of dawn light strikes the young Bravo's back, Barran makes the first strike.  The Bravo clenches his teeth and takes it.  He cries out on the ninth lash.  On the fifteenth, Barran drops the whip and unties the Bravo.  The young Bravo collapses to the floor and tries to rise, but struggles.  Barran helps him to his knees, then grips him by the shoulders and places his forehead to the young Bravo's.  After a moment Barran raises his head and makes eye contact with Mary.  He releases the young Bravo, stands and leaves the courtyard.

Mary approaches the young Bravo with a bucket and a cloth and starts tending to the gashes along his back.  The other Bravos seem to just melt away, leaving you to watch.

"Why take his punishment, Darvill?" asks Mary.

"Honour," says the Bravo.  "Why not just give him the letter, Mary?"

"Honour.  My honour and my daughter's honour."

"Give up, Mary.  Better she grows up a bastard with her mother and enough food than she grows up in a nunnery.  Better you end this now than your brothers keep blackmailing him.  Give up the letter, Mary."

"I can't.  No more than you can let your master's honour be blackened.  I just can't.  It doesn't matter how much silver he tries to bribe me with, it doesn't matter how much my kin steal.  No silver is worth my daughter's honour."

They continue in silence and eventually you leave and return to the palace, Sahainn padding softly behind.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 09, 2012, 08:18:03 pm »

Buy a pair of waterproof sacks, and set out, looking for a location near this cove to get into the water. If it is inside the Guards' zone, wait until midnight.
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 09, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »

Slip past the trolls while the rangers attack. Gos willing, they will never notice we were there.

Trent nods his head at the large humanoids and quickly knocks an arrows before drawing the bow back, his fellow ranger's doing the same he quickly yells "Split and surround them from all sides, do not let them close in on you! Aim for the eyes and hope you kill them quick." With that he let an arrow loose and began scrambling off to the side as he prepped another arrow.

Have the other two rangers split up and circle around the trolls firing arrows when they get the chance and staying away from the things.
I myself do the same and aim my shots at their eyes hoping to kill them swiftly.

Fight them, with an emphasis on stabbing the eyes and dodging.

Ursula and her men [4] carefully track around the ongoing fight, nearly falling down a ravine at one point.  They make it past the trolls without being embroiled in the conflict.  [1] Dawn won't strike for at least a few minutes, anyway.  Ursula walks on, never looking back at the fate of those behind her.

Tiakath: +1 Ranged/Melee, +1 Armour.  3/3hp.
Trent: +1 Ranged/Melee, +1 Armour, +1 Numbers.  5/5hp.

Troll: +1 Troll Strength, +1 Troll Hide, +1 Troll Bulk.  4/4hp.
She-Troll: +3 Troll.  4/4hp.

[4+1 vs 3+2, 4+2 vs 5+2] The four of you spread out and start firing arrows or throwing knives at the trolls, who are momentarily confused by your reaction.  Tiakath's throwing knife stabs the male troll in the arm, cutting deep.  He pulls the knife out and holds it in one meaty hand, utterly unperturbed by the black blood leaking from his flesh.  [1 vs 3, 2+1 vs 2] The troll moves with surprising speed for its size and in a flash it is bearing down upon Tiakath, swinging the blade as if it were the spike on a club.  The she-troll tries to catch the rangers, but they move in different directions to evade her.

[4 vs 1+1, 5 vs 1] Tiakath draws Renart Lionel's longsword and thrusts upward as the troll strikes for her, ducking beneath the blow.  The sword catches the troll in the cheek, goring it.  The rangers fire on Trent's command, pincushioning the she-troll who roars in some unintelligible tongue.  The male troll bellows back and gives chase to the fleeing Tiakath, [4 vs 3] who evades him, [6+1 vs 3] while the rangers continue to keep the she-troll corralled between them. [3/4hp Troll, 3/4hp She-Troll]

[4 vs 5+1, 2 vs 4] Arrows and knives rain harmlessly off the thick hide of the trolls.  Worse, as the trolls try to catch the skirmishers they can see in the pale pre-dawn light the troll's wounds seem to bind shut through some sort of muscular action.  Blood ceases to flow, pain seems to vanish.  In all its horrible glory, the regenerative power of the troll is seen.  [4/4hp Troll, 4/4hp She-Troll]

[6 vs 4, 4+1 vs 6] Tiakath ducks out of the way of another charge from the male troll, but the she-troll catches one of the rangers by surprise.  [1 vs 6+1, 1 vs 6] Tiakath's throwing knife once again smacks harmlessly into the thick leather of the troll's flesh, missing any vital points.  The she-troll grabs Darnell by the leg and swings him around into Ardella.  There is a sharp snap as Darnell's back breaks and you watch in horror as Ardella is thrown, screaming, into the deep ravine by the mountain pass.  The she-troll adjusts her grip on Darnell's leg and wields his corpse like some sort of grotesque flail.  [3/5hp Trent, Numbers advantage lost.]

[3 vs 2, 6 vs 1] You both maintain distance from the trolls, firing and throwing as best you can.  [5 vs 2+1, 6 vs 2+1] Enraged by the death of your companions, your game kicks up a notch.  Tiakath's knife slashes across the troll's jugular, which sprays black blood in a wound that would have killed any lesser beast.  Trent fires an arrow into the skull of the she-troll, just beneath the eye.  She tears it out with her free hand and continues advancing upon Trent, [4 vs 2, 5 vs 2] who keeps distance alongside Tiakath. [3/4hp Troll, 3/4hp She-Troll]

[5 vs 3+1, 2 vs 6+1] Tiakath circles the male troll, throwing another blade that opens up one of the troll's femoral arteries.  Trent tries to take advantage of a boulder to shoot down at the she-troll from above, but she closes distance to him with a burst of speed and nearly sweeps him off his feet with Darnell's corpse.  Trent rolls to the ground and stands again, [6 vs 4, 6 vs 2] maintaining distance.  The trolls roar in their strange tongue as muscular action forces shut the wounds in their bodies.  [3/4hp Troll, 4/4hp She-Troll]

[3 vs 1+1, 6 vs 6] Another throwing knife jams into the male troll's throat and his roars take on a gurgling sound.  He rips the knife out, spraying blood from another wound (the jugular cut has now slowed to a dribble) as he chases after Tiakath with knives in both fists.  Trent fires an arrow, which sails unerringly to the she-troll's eye.  She catches it with one giant hand and slowly and pointedly snaps it so Trent can see. [2/4hp Troll]

[4 vs 6, 3 vs 3] Although Trent continues to circle the corpse-wielding she-troll, Tiakath slips on some loose rubble and the male troll catches up to her.  [1 vs 4+1, 1 vs 3+1] A knife slams into her side, by sheer luck missing anything vital.  The fist that accompanies it is less kind and breaks at least two ribs as it sends her flying across the pass.  Trent's arrows continue to fly past the she-troll without success.  [2/3hp Tiakath]

[3 vs 6, 5 vs 3] The troll lumbers over to Tiakath and smashes both his fists down, [4 vs 4+1, 2 vs 1+1] as Tiakath tries to roll away.  She fails to roll away entirely, and the fist crushes one of her feet.  Bones snap, crackle and pop in their fleshy casing.  [4 vs 3, 5 vs 3] Trent fires an arrow at the male troll, distracting him for the moment needed for Tiakath to crawl behind a rock.  The male troll snarls as the wound in his leg seals up.  [3/4hp Troll, 1/3hp Tiakath]

Sunlight breaks over the high mountains and the first ray strikes the male troll, who roars in dismay.  Both trolls seem shaken, though not actively injured by the arrival of the dawn.

[4 vs 1+1, 5 vs 1+1] Fighting past the pain, Tiakath hurls her last knife at the troll.  It strikes him in the flesh just below his eye, and this time he does not pull it out.  Blood continues to flow freely, with no sign of the muscles closing up to seal it away.  Trent manages to fire an arrow directly into the softer flesh beneath the she-troll's arm as she raises it to strike him down with a corpse-flail.  [2/4hp Troll, 3/4hp She-Troll]

[4 vs 5, 4 vs 5] With Tiakath injured, it is a simple matter for the male troll to catch her, and a lost moment of Trent's footing allows the she-troll to do the same.  [2 vs 1+1, 5 vs 6+1] Tiakath lurches from side to side, narrowly evading the blows of the troll.  At one point its fist smashes into the rock around which she is hiding, shattering loose a few flakes of stone.  Trent catches his comrade's skull beneath the chin, sending him crashing into the ground and dazing him.  [3 vs 2, 1 vs 1] The she-troll lurches after Trent while Tiakath finds herself playing cat-and-mouse with the male troll around the large rock supporting her broken body.  [2/3hp Trent]

[1 vs 2+1] Throwing rocks at the troll proves ineffective for Tiakath [3 vs 4] and he rounds the stone for another swing.  [3 vs 6+1] The she-troll simply smashes Darnell into Trent while he is on the floor, [2 vs 1] catching him by the side and flinging him some distance away.  [2 vs 2+1] Tiakath tries to evade the male troll until the moment one of her knives catches her in the throat, followed by thirty pounds of fist.  [5 vs 6+1] Trent tries feebly to fire another arrow at the she-troll to little avail, [6 vs 1] then starts to crawl to safety.

[5 vs 6+1, 3 vs 1, 5 vs 2+1, 1 vs 6, 6 vs 1+1, 1 vs 4, 6 vs 4+1]

Trent drags himself away from the she-troll as she lopes after him, swinging Darnell's increasingly shattered and bloody body at the ground again and again as Trent tries to roll away.  He props himself up against a rock and fires his bow, once, twice and a third time.  One arrow misses.  A second strikes the troll in the throat.  She keeps coming.  The third arrow strikes the troll in the chest, the wound oozing hot blood over Trent's face as the she-troll looms over him.  She swings the body, missing Trent by inches and hitting the rock face beside him.  The body shatters, the ribcage and torso splitting apart and scattering blood and gore over Trent.  The she-troll is left only with Darnell's leg, which she swings again, knocking the bow from Trent's hands.  The she-troll raises the leg for a final blow when Trent lurches upward with an arrow clutched between his fingers.

The arrow goes straight through the she-troll's eye, piercing her brain.  Trent jams the arrow in as far as he can, twisting it until the huge body spasms and collapses.

[4+1 vs 5, 6 vs 5+1, 3+1 vs 3, 5 vs 2+1, 1+1 vs 4, 4+1 vs 4+1, 2+1 vs 2, 6+1 vs 4]

Trent is pinned to the ground beneath the she-troll's body.  He can barely move, but her corpse provides ample cover from her approaching mate, who is screaming in incoherent rage at her murderer.  The bow is gone, but he teases his short sword out of its scabbard and tries vainly to stab upward as the troll smashes at him again and again with his fists.  The sword makes contact, contact Trent can barely see because of the black blood spilling into his eyes from both trolls' wounds.  He feels more of his ribs crack under the weight of the troll's blows and the she-troll's body.  He continues to stab blindly until a blow breaks his fingers.  He makes one last slash with his broken hand before the sword slips from his fingers.

For the briefest of moments, Trent sees a golden-eyed bear standing on the pass, just in the corner of his vision.  Then nothing.

Spoiler: The End (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:33:56 pm by Iituem »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 09, 2012, 09:27:15 pm »

Continue onwards to the land of the dragons.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 101