Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 124005 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Summer 937 AAL
« Reply #930 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:40 pm »

1.Outlaw the Guards who followed the prophet. Seize all their property. Land is to be distributed among my Minor Nobles. The rest belongs to me. The Families of them are of course to be outlawed too and to be thrown out.

2. Pay for another Season of Lady Aquilas training. (0.5 Ducats)

3. Gather my two Heavy Stonetree Guards (Heavy I, Berserker) and my Personal Guard (Cavalry) and position them at the East Bride (which i name Crownwater Bridge if nobody objects) on the Southern Plains. If Richard tries to attack Stormstead as long as the Nobles attend the Gathering they are to hold them off long enough to allow the Nobles to flee.

4. My vassals are to raise their levies and to join me at the Crownwater Bridge.

[3] The guards are not men of great means; although the baron that absorbs their lands is grateful, it is a pittance even to his treasury.  [1] They had a lot of family, though, and your blanket banishment of their close relatives has angered a great deal of people.  [+1 commoner unrest].  [5] On the other hand, your lords are sticking by your decision.  Even if they may believe some of what the prophet says, they are glad to see insubordination dealt with firmly and this has earned their favour.  [-1 vassal unrest].

[52216 = 20 - 10 - 10 - 20 + 0, plus 50 for training = 70/100 points]  Lady Aquila does her best, but you have been picking up bad swordfighting habits from the Haegar retainers.  You actually do worse than you might otherwise.  She seems annoyed by this, but suggests that your best bet would be to win a couple of blood duels with your fellow nobles who are trained; though they would either have to be to the death or serious injury, or else have a major wager on their outcome.  She tells you that getting the blood pumping is important, and that only happens if the stakes are real. 

[Logistics 4] Unless Richard decides to move his troops immediately, your men arrive at the bridge within a week of the order.  (If this is contested, he must oppose your logistics roll.)

[5+1, bonus from vassal loyalty.]  Vassals never like to have to raise levies, and your vassals are no exception.  Such levies are always a burden to all involved.  [-1 to vassal loyalty.]  Nevertheless, your recent actions and devotion to training are an inspiration, and a majority of your barons raise troops to assist.  [100% of vassal levies raised from 7 parcels.]

[Noble power 2 = 0.2 strength per parcel.]  Your nobles are not as powerful as they could be, and the balance is tipped in favour of the commons in the Pact.  As such, the levies they can raise are limited to peasants and a handful of yeomen and lay knights.  The troops have been trained in line with the philosophy of House Stonewood, though; attack hard and often.  Your levies raise one unit of Berserker infantry (Str 1, +1 on attack).  You may keep these levies raised until the end of the current crisis.  If you keep them past the obvious end of the crisis or for more than half a year, you risk upsetting your low lords greatly.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: September 13, 2012, 07:03:09 pm »

Autumn 937: Gathering Storms - Continued

[3-1] The Grey Death has continued its spread, striking the fields of Dechire and making its way further through the south to the Oathbreaker lands.  Only isolated cases have been seen in Altaregia, but it is simply a matter of time.  It has begun to affect certain parts of the urban population in Dechire, notably beggars and poor labourers, but a few high-profile nobles have been struck down by the disease as well.  Part of the reason for the spread is blamed on the poor handling of the initial outbreak by the Crown, [1,3] for which Marquis Stonewood is receiving increasing aggression from his own people.  The Messiah is not loved for his inaction either, but escapes public denouncement for his earlier efforts.

[-] The Grey Death has claimed Duc Burminac Rasgar and Marquis Henry Conricht II, [6] with the lands free to be seized de jure by the Crown, although potential family claimants have strong objections.  The administrative burden overwhelms the palace in Stormstead - until new lords are appointed to govern the regions, the trade routes will suffer and resources will not reach the city (trade route income lost, resource bonuses lost).

[6] The will of Duchesse Ursa Emanhilde poses problems; although the will leaves the estates to King Albert, the precise wording of 'unable to inherit' is enough for the barons of Spiritusaer to call for an election among their own.  A candidate is found, accepted and sworn among their own within three days and has crowned himself Duc Garen Stoneson, a bastard-line descendant of House Stonewood.  [2] Duc Stoneson proves to have an alarming degree of popular support among the minor barons, raising three regiments of levies from Spiritusaer.  He declares himself "loyal to King Albert Conricht, above all others", in a manner that suggests non-alignment with either potential factions in a civil war.  Likely he is implying that he can be bribed one way or another for his assistance.

[3-1] Slavers off the coast of Arborvent have grown increasingly bold and have begun openly raiding and attacking coastal villages.  The commoners are very unhappy [+1 commons unrest] and are looking for a solution sooner rather than later.  They do not seem to have expanded their operation beyond the original single ship, so anyone with ships or a fleet would be of help.

[3] Pirate activity on the Arendal Coast is normal, but stifling to trade.  International trade routes cannot be set up until they can be reasonably dealt with or deterred.

[?] Finally, rumours on the trade routes suggest that a new Saelradian king has been imbued with the spirit of their God-King.  He has sent out his most favoured warriors and generals across the Blessed Lands to prove themselves in acts of valour and cunning.  None of them have come as far north as the Adranic lands, though.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 13, 2012, 07:03:43 pm »

Check all availiable levies for Drachengrab.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 13, 2012, 07:44:43 pm »

[3][3] Messengers are spotted going from Altaregia to Dechire and Spirituaser, but the actual messages are not found, leaving Edgard's followers only guessing at their content - although the intent behind them is quite obvious, the bargaining chip Richard is using remains unknown.

Check all availiable levies for Drachengrab.

Your nobles are able to raise a strong band of mounted men at arms (Heavy 1 Cavalry) if necessary.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 14, 2012, 12:28:34 am »

Renart was surprised. He expected anger from the man, an explanation or reason on the matters of Summer.

Instead, his preparation for Trent's beration was replaced by concern...and probably compassion. His eyes swept over the hero and he wondered just how much of the stories the minstrels told were truth and which was not. Trent's voice was not it's usual stern tone, he also seemed off in his gait -- but only those with a trained eye or who have spent much time with such, would see.

"Uncle I want to change this world, so that men do not die from the whims of a noble that feels he was insulted, so that these monsters do not plague the people I hold so dear and wish to protect. Yet, I am a simple peasant with a strained tie to a noble family and no memory or knowledge of my real Father."

"How then can I manage such things when the world is set on forcing those who are ruled to be governed mostly by nobles uncaring of their plights? And how am I to stand for traditions and honors that weigh me down like a chunk of lead in a raging torrent of river? So much is trying to tear apart my small world I've tried to protect, but now I want to fight to protect my world ..."

The hammer struck home. Renart admitted, that the senseless spending of lives under a man's whim was senseless; he had seen too much of that during the Iron Queen's reign, as well as from recent events. He held onto the notion that Trent was an idealist: a passionate, determined idealist, but he also spoke the truth that the Marquis saw in Albert during his coronation.

The will to change.

"My friend. Trent. You are like a son to me, ever since your induction into the veteran guard of our land and even before that...

"True, that the nobility hold power beyond comparison of the common man. Yet I'll let you in on a secret that many of the nobility have. We, speaking in a general term, fear the people. Our existence, our power, derives from their toil. Our status is but a rank above those who pay heed and homage for the basic necessities of life. The nobility cannot exist without the commoners, one which I have tried to bridge and fail more than I could count.

"You are young, Trent. Your ideas far outweigh whatever great tactician of my age can come up with."
The Marquis approached his relative, ignoring the stinging pain from his leg as the crutch -- styled like that of an Oak -- aided him. He put a hand on the man's shoulder and looked at him like an equal.

"Of the few I put my trust in: Albert, Osir, Richard and the rest, you were my closest supporter and a man I could truly rely on when times were harsh for the both of us. I sound like I'm rambling, so let me cut this short."

He lowered his hand to the commander's sternum, "You are but a man. A peasant. A commoner. A tool.

"Yet look at what you accomplished. You have proven yourself, along with a few others on a quest that was deemed impossible. You have returned from exile with the signs to show it and you give up this easily? You have bested the foe where I and my people have nearly died against! Not a Troll! Not a Drake!

"But fate."

Hoping that his message was clear, Renart gave him space before finishing. "A man may be broken physically, mentally and emotionally. But his spirit is one that even the Gods have trouble touching. You carry the fighting spirit of the Northwatch in you, erase the idea of denial and doubt! Our King is bedridden, and the very man who has taken the throne is the same man who has caused us this much grief! Albert's brother rides out against him in the name of our good King, and I along with my followers will be there despite my wounds. I have a trivial matter to take care of with my vassals, but I cannot directly control you either, Trent.

"While you are technically under my command, you are also my kin and blood. I hold no power over you like I hold no power over the Dragonspine Scepter nor would I ever wish to do such. While I am part of the nobility, I make it sure that my power is regulated and not forced upon those who serve me."
Renart bowed his head before straightening up and moving towards the entrance doors, "Take it as you will, I cannot let my beloved land fall to an usurper and a liar. I will be marching alongside Richard's banner and our standards will fly in the rising sun. As for you, remember that despite everything, your final choice is your own."

Renart awaited whatever Trent would reply, but as soon as they were finished, He rode out to meet with the two lords who have failed to provide the forces for the Cold Drake Hunt that had costed Northwatch much life and men. Checking on their alliegance and if they will be marching alongside him in meeting with Richard.

That one infantry regiment guarding the trade route shall remain in Northwatch, guarding the traderoute and the general populace.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 07:18:51 pm by Tiruin »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Autumn 937 AAL
« Reply #935 on: September 14, 2012, 01:12:14 am »

In Stormstead Castle

Osir had arrived at the capital at the wrong time, just too much of a wrong time. The king goes ill, a madman raves, and then a bloody civil war sparks up, and Osir happened to be with the seemingly 'lesser' side. Worse, he didn't have his newly-raised regiment. The only thing that had been well so far was that the set of armour he had commissioned was complete.

Osir sighed. He guessed he had little choice but to side with the regent. He had little way of escaping now. And so, Osir penned a small missive to the regent: he would side with him, after a short meeting.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 14, 2012, 05:24:34 am »

After discussion with Theor...

Edgard was overwhelemd by the news of troop movements, civil unrest, Richard moving about to and fro, and hundred of other minutae deatails that suddenyly were his responsibility.

He managed to get into the royal castle. Bravos sealed off the Royal quarters/compound, not allowing anyone but the closest family and most trustworthy of servants and slaves in, leaving the "official" part of the castle to regent's use.
Both Elise and Eleanor decided to remain in the Arborvent Manor on the other side of the river. Elise was crying her eyes out, not allowed to see the king, out of fear that she might get infected too, whereas Eleanor was dissapointed that Richard decided to move agaisnt her borther.

Edgard burst into chancery rooms, and the rather visible panic in the eyes of the gathered bureaucrats and scribes subsided when they heard the "regent" speak.
"Settle down everyone! We have some preoblmes, but rest assured, the nobles of this country respect royal will and we will have this situation under control soon. Now get back to your work.
I also need one of you to draft me few letters."

Spoiler: Letter to Harald (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Letter to Duc Stoneson (click to show/hide)
(+1 to charisma/NPC rolls, don't forget!)

He also got the note form Comte Osir. First good news since the start of this blasted season. Edgard will meet Osir immeidately.

Gods had to be consulted too, if not called upon to the regency's cause. Edgard invites Prophet Jitapu Itavny to the Regency council.

Last but not least remained the issue of calling in additional help. While not the best time for it, Edgard's marriage ceremonies would seal the alliance with East Arendalis lords, all of whom pledged to be either vassals to the crown or to him directly. Either way, he was loooking forward to support from additional lords.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:44:04 am by Ardas »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 14, 2012, 10:12:20 am »

Theor coughed a little bit. He was slacking... Or he had just bad luck.  "What is it?" asked the comte confused as Edgard gave him some letters to read. Frowning over the words, he responded after some silent minutes "The king is ill... Grey Death... How? I don't know... I..." What to do? "I will stand true to the king... The prince is only a prince and Albert is not dead yet... But... I don't know... I need to gather my troops..." He darted at the letters again "Although... Maybe he just don't want to have you as regent..." He sighed and gave de Arbovent the letters back. "Yes, I will be on your side when he wants to usurpate the throne. I shall be true to the Conrichts, but to the true Conrichts. And now... Excuse me, I need to raise troops. I will ride to Stormstead." He bowed  his head and then prepared to ride back home...

Check if I can rais levies.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 14, 2012, 10:36:11 am »

A mere Regiment and the Commoners against him. At least something. 4 Regiments were marching towards  Crownwater Bridge and although Harald did this all out of loyality to Edgard he found this whole test of Strength ridiculous.

Harald issued forth one of his Personal Guardsmen a young Haegar and gave him a letter to deliver to Prince Richard.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 14, 2012, 11:43:38 am »

[?] Messengers are seen leaving Altaregia - some go south, some go west, some go north. One of those headed south is intercepted by a few guardsmen from Arborvent, where he reveals that all the messengers who had been headed south were headed for the Crown - probably all carrying the same message, in order to make sure it got through. Said message is sent to Stormstead, and reaches the capital just as the other messengers get to Harald's position.

---
[?] Richard raises his nobles' levies (One tactician regiment)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 14, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »

If the Stag doesn't come to the Tree the tree has to go to the Stag...

Meet with Richard in Altaregia and keep my Regiments at the Bridge. If anything goes wrong they are to wait from Orders of Lord Edgard.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:22:48 pm by Ghazkull »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 14, 2012, 12:32:57 pm »

Marquis Rakam Tengram sets out towards  Spirituaser with a small retinue of loyal knights, sending a courier ahead to inform Lord Stonewood of his arrival and request an audience with him. Lord Stonewood is to be properly addressed as His Grace, demonstrating recognition of his newfound station by the Marquis of Drachengrab.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 14, 2012, 02:30:47 pm »

"Uncle I ask you to over see the ceremony honoring the fallen Rangers Guard, and those who fell in recent battles. I ride for Drowned King Bridge with all the men I can gather. We will hold it and allow none to enter or leave Stormstead from the North till reinforcements arrive, finish swiftly for I doubt I can do much to delay the actions of the Regent."

As he finished Renart left and Trent was left to think for a moment, mostly about how it'd been so long since he'd called Renart Uncle, but shaking the thoughts out of his head he turn and quickly made for leaving the throne room. He had much to do, he had the last remnants of the Rangers Guard to scrape together, men to recruit and draw in, and supplies to secure before they left for war.

Gather what remains of the Rangers Guard and send them out to do various things.
Send some to gather mercenaries and willing men from the taverns of Northwatch with the promise of pay at the end of the campaign and recognition from the Crown.
Send others to gather supplies, extra arrows, food, etc.
And send the rest to recruit willing men from villages along the way to the Bridge, have them speak of the need of men to fight for Prince Richard, and that the Troll Slayer Trent shall lead them to battle.
Head for the Drowned King Bridge and have all my men hang low just outside, use farm house or whatever, but do not engage enemies.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:49:57 pm by adwarf »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 14, 2012, 03:00:55 pm »

One more list. To Richard. Edgard wondered what went though the young man's mind when he decided to contravene his brother's wish and organised troops in secret.

My prince,

It hurts me deeply to hear that you have raised troopand declared the regency bestowed upon my by your Royal brother as a vile plot of mine to seize the throne. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just As my ancestors served the kings of this land, rescuing king Blackshield's body, or allying with your noble family at the time of War of the Hounds, so do I remain a loyal servant and a stalwart vassal of your bloodline. However, it is important that we avoid bloodshed and return to peace, for the sake of our king, who lies sick in Stormstead and for the sake of this country, which had seen enough fratricide.

I beg of you to stand down and agree to discuss the matters on neutral ground, where I can explain the matter of regency to you.

Yours Truly
Duc Edgard de Arborvent, Lord of Arborvent, Regent and Treasurer for HM Albert I

Deploy 2 regiments of levies at each bridge to Stormstead.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 14, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »

Spoiler: Reply from Richard (click to show/hide)

Meet with Richard in Altaregia and keep my Regiments at the Bridge. If anything goes wrong they are to wait from Orders of Lord Edgard.

When you arrive in Altaregia, you find that the city has changed - to say the least.

The old capital of the southern kingdom is now as much a military camp as a city. Many thousands of men are in position in vast camps around the walls, and unlike most armies you've seen before, this one is quite orderly and well disciplined despite it's idleness - a testament of Richard's undeniable skill in managing troops. On your way there, you are inspected by six different patrols - security seems quite high - who all let you through after some time of hesitation. Finally, you get a regiment commander to lead you to the prince.

Richard is, surprisingly, not in his palace when you get there, but in the command tent of the army. As you enter, he glances in your direction and folds the map he was looking at before you get to see what was written on it.

"Ah... Lord Harald Stonetree. I am pleased to see you here - to be totally honest, I did not believe you would trust me sufficiently to accept to come, which had saddened me. You wanted to come to, ah, try to find a common ground, yes?"
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 101