Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 123984 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Autumn 937 AAL
« Reply #1095 on: September 30, 2012, 04:06:25 am »

While engrossed by their discussion, a servant asks for permission to enter the tent, bearing a small note form the city.

Spoiler: Letter from Edgard (click to show/hide)
---------------------------------
Edgard's face bore the look of resignation and frustration. He turned to Theor.
"I will have to speak with him in person, for what good it will do. I doubt I will convinced him, but I hope that he will realise what he'd done."
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:11:53 am by Ardas »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 30, 2012, 04:43:50 am »

Ask the haegar for his name and who exactly is he and what he's doing in the south.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: September 30, 2012, 07:01:35 am »

Theor furrowed his forehead and asked slowly "So you think... this is a good idea? But maybe this is the only choice before we start to kill each other..." He thrusted the dagger back in the sheath and smirked "Not that I'm against a little bloodshed... I'll sure be happy if I can hack this bastard into little pieces..."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: September 30, 2012, 07:56:27 am »

"Why can't one of us meet with Edgard, or at least Theor?" Renart said, expressing concern over the matter. "You are the Prince and the Marshall of the realm, no man will outright attack you or any noble under your banner. If we are sent in your name, a parley will be met and I'm guessing, no blood will be spill't. If something happens to us, war is certain, but better to be sure than sorry, aye?"

The news was disconcerting, the crisis has spread farther than the borders of Windheath itself. If this wasn't fixed soon...

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 30, 2012, 08:52:29 am »

Before Richard could reply to the two, a messenger entered the tent, carrying a letter from the regent. The Prince frowned first, then he smiled - a little hesitantly.

"Edgard wants me to meet him on the bridge. Both of us alone. And I do believe I'll agree to that demand."

He looked up, staring at Cyril and Renart.

"So, what say you? Shall I offer more, ah, gentle terms, or shall I hold my ground until he accepts or we cut down the bridge?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: September 30, 2012, 09:27:41 am »

"Gentle terms, or depending on what argument Edgard presents. The times are serious, and we cannot afford musing on trivialities at the moment. Whatever he says, the terms will shift. The King still lives, and in his hands lay the Scepter. Edgard has not made any move to touch that, though."

If possible, Renart goes along with Richard! If not, he aids his troops in readying for battle, training the levies to be more prepared if the situation calls -- defense.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1101 on: September 30, 2012, 03:11:48 pm »

Cyril turned serious for a moment, "Agreed, there is no reason to punish them, they were simply following their king.  Even if there were far more nefarious implications to the will or the King's illness, you still have no proof of such actions."  Cyril paused, "If he comes alone, that is sign enough that he is innocent, or at the least a coward hiding beneath honor to secure his safety."  Cyril rose from his chair and turned to the table, picking up one of the small wooden soldiers carrying his banner, "I'd prefer man didn't die at the hands of man, there's so many tastier things then man to kill. It's a shame to waste an arrow on them."  Cyril remained solemn despite his joke, before putting the piece back and staring at the prince "I am at your side, Richard.  Remember that I fight for you are my friend, it is only by the graces of your gods that you are also the Prince. My men, they are not your friend, half of them think your name is Richman, they have no reason to spill their blood besides fealty.  I know many that will gladly do so, but some worry for their lives, for their families.  As do I."

"If Edgard stabs you in the back, we'll be sure to stab him in the front, a thousand fold."

Rally my forces.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 30, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »

Richard listened to the advice of the two nobles, then nodded - perhaps a little reluctantly.

"Very well, I shall meet him and attempt to achieve peace.... And do not worry, Cyril. I will not give him the occasion to attempt any treachery."

Richard goes to the meeting point alone, riding his fastest stallion and equipped with a recurved bow. He does not dismount.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 30, 2012, 05:52:04 pm »

Get Barran and Mary to help finding the thieves and interrogate them with their assistance.

[3+2] Mary might not be happy about selling out her brothers, but Barran has zero qualms about the matter and you already know where they are based.  [4] Even though Aveline has Bravos watching the King around the clock, some are still willing to assist out of respect for their captain and to investigate the king's sickness.

[6] On your signal, you converge on the thieves' inn as one, Barran and Mary coming from one side while the Bravos push for the front  and you lie in wait in the alleys.  The sudden influx causes the patrons to immediately go to ground, but the brothers in the inn start running immediately [3] and they escape into the alleyways while the Bravos take down Mary's father and uncle.  [1] You chase after them with Sahainn, losing them in the streets and yourself in the process.  As you try and retrace your steps to the tavern you hear a whistling sound, [3+2 vs 5+1] and duck and roll to the ground as a blue-fletched crossbow bolt thuds into the dirt a foot away from you, on a trajectory that would have put a hole in your head.

[5] You catch sight of the would-be assassin as she slips away over the rooftops; a half-caste Ralkarian wearing a blue veil across half her face and kitted out in shaped black leather armour, woven with distinctive azure embroidery.  You make to pursue her, but become aware of the three knife and cudgel-wielding brothers flanking you from either end of the alley.  The eldest gives a yell and charges you.

[5+1 vs 5] You ready yourself for his attack, but Sahainn lunges for him and catches him by the leg, hamstringing him with her jaws and tackling him to the ground.  [3+2 vs 4, 6+2 vs 1] The other brothers make a valiant attempt to bring you down, but they are simply outclassed.  You break one's leg and smack the other hard with your hammer in the gut.  As they lie in the gutter, groaning and helpless, you move to interrogate the eldest of the three brothers.  Sahainn drops his leg, which slumps uselessly to the ground.  As you approach he raises one empty hand.

"No!" he shouts.  "Don't come near-"

*twang*

This time you don't even see the assassin scamper away.  By the time you turn back you can hear the eldest brother's heavy wheezing in the one collapsed lung and the gargling as blood floods into his throat from where the blue-fletched bolt has penetrated his chest.  He tries in vain to pull the bolt out and then tries to grip your leg as his strength fails him; the blood makes his grip slippery.

"Ihwus... was... th'dyn.  Lyuh... Liodnyan."

The brother dies, and you say a brief prayer for him to your own gods.  You climb up to the roof (taking care not to put yourself in a vantage to be easily shot from) but fail to see the assassin further.  You drag the remaining brothers back to the tavern to interrogate them, but it would appear that the eldest brother (Jack) knew most of the details of the plan.  [1] In fact, the father and uncle were kept completely in the dark; when interrogated they admit only to knowing about the blackmail.  The brothers only know that Jack was being paid by some contact they had never met to smuggle food and clothes into the king's suite; they had replaced wine with beer bottles, pieces of bread and cloaks.  The brothers had been doing this for weeks, prompting your own investigation - this appears to be why the king thought the thieves had been taunting him.  They do not know what the intended effect was, except that the king was supposed to eat the bread, drink the beer or wear the clothing they brought.  It just seems to have taken this long for him to finally do so.

[6-3] You reach Altaregia with ease, where you quickly learn that Richard, while he could certainly use your services, has left for Stormstead... Five days ago. The steward won't let your ship sail upriver; if you wish to catch up with him, you have a tough ride ahead of you.
Attempt the voyage.

[1] The steward snuck men aboard your ship while you were discussing passage with him, and it appears that he is implicitly holding the ship hostage to prevent you sailing west.  [6] You buy a horse and start riding.  You make excellent time but you are a sailor not a horseman and soon discover why you should not ride the same horse for four days dawn to dusk.  The horse collapses and dies a day's ride from Stormstead and you are forced to walk.  [5-1] You aren't trained in moving without being seen and there are many patrols looking for would-be 'spies', but you luck out and arrive at the camp unmolested, [3+1] where it is a small matter to gain entrance and you are admitted to see Richard.

Ask the haegar for his name and who exactly is he and what he's doing in the south.

His name is Sigurd Mjolnsenn, and he ventured south in the hope of living peacefully with his Adranic wife, Varna.  [6+1] Even you know that name.  Mjolnir Mjolnsenn was a pirate, a raider and a killer your grandfather would speak about only in whispers; cut-throat, bloodthirsty and dishonourable as a Selenid.  Mjolnir was ruler of a powerful clan, and you have little reason to suspect his son would be any different.  On the other hand, he would also be hated and feared in every sane village in the north.  When you ask about this, Sigurd makes no effort to hide it; he followed in his father's footsteps and boasts with a certain grim satisfaction that his enemies and rivals outnumber the stars - if you count the dead.

[5+1] As you travel, your shared heritage lets you bind with Sigurd and he reveals to you a little something of his past.  He ruled the Mjolndir clan as a High Jarl, supported by staunch allies within and opposed by powerful enemies at every side, especially the Kraken's Arms (he outright refuses to give any information on what he means by that when you ask).  He was betrayed and attacked by his closest friend and a vassal jarl, Eirek Bernsenn, and several of his most trusted guard.  If you wish the army you need to support your liege, you will need to help him regain control of his clan - either through an armed insurrection or by just killing Eirek himself in a duel for the clan.  In theory any jarl or carl (or even any Haegar) strong enough could make this challenge and Sigurd likely still has a lot of political support.

You reach Gatewatch, [4] the muster keep for the Mjolndir, and consider how to arrive; as travellers to investigate the city or openly to challenge the high jarl.  Because of your friendship and the presence of your men, Sigurd allows you to make this decision.

Richard goes to the meeting point alone, riding his fastest stallion and equipped with a recurved bow. He does not dismount.

The night before you approach the meeting, your scouts detect a pair of rowing boats set beneath the bridge.  The rowers are shot by archers and the boats sunk with rocks.  Your meeting will be unassailed.

In Drachengrab, white sails are spotted on the Arendal; larger and more impressive than the cluster of fishing boats trapped there by the siege.  The ships dock at Lorvese and several regiments of men in heavy mail with maces, pikes and longswords emerge and march into the city to secure it against the forces of Prince Richard.  Duc Parnoth himself arrives with the army, along with his chamberlain who immediately takes a fast horse and travels on to find Duc Tengrim in Spiritusaer to begin his training in charisma.

Rumour spreads quickly, even across the border; the eastern flank of Arendalis has been completely abandoned by the withdrawal of troops to Lorvese and apparently Charles IX is furious with Parnoth.  He has sent several messengers demanding the Duc to immediately return his forces to protect the flank against a Donnersteiner attack.  Parnoth has ignored him; he instead sends a message to Stormstead via small boat requesting that Duc Edgard's wives, including his own daughter, be transferred to one of his ships for asylum before he commits his forces to the fight.  Parnoth appears to be concerned that his kin might get killed in the fighting.

A fleet of 5 ships arrives in Lorvese, carrying 5 Heavy Infantry led by Duc Parnoth.  They settle in the city, waiting for the right moment to move and providing a slight deterrent to Donnersteiner invasion.

Rakon Tengrim gains 50 points of Charisma training.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 30, 2012, 06:18:37 pm »

"We best know how the city before we try anything."

Enter the city and begin conducting initial intelligence:
   a.Enter the temple of the Fortmag* and commune with the gods, asking the local priests the god's disposition on the current jarl.
   b.Go to the equivalent of the markets of the town and find out how trade is going.
   c. Carefully approach people in taverns to find out the general wellbeing of the town and their views on the jarl.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 30, 2012, 06:31:04 pm »

((Sorry Iituem, forgot you))

"You make a convincing argument, saer.  I don't suppose I could convince you to forgot you saw me?  There's a house on the waterfront where I keep a spot of gold for friends - and a spot of female company, if you gather my meaning."

[1] "To hell with that. You're a spy if I've ever seen one, and our orders with spies are clear. Either you come along with me and some of the high heads will have a little chat with you, or I kill you and throw your body in the Arendal. Your choice."

It would appear that the guards are not easily corruptible. You can still try to escape, although they'll be wary if you attempt a similar trick than last time; you can also come along and see if any other opportunities show themselves further along the road.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 30, 2012, 06:44:11 pm »

((Sorry Iituem, forgot you))

"You make a convincing argument, saer.  I don't suppose I could convince you to forgot you saw me?  There's a house on the waterfront where I keep a spot of gold for friends - and a spot of female company, if you gather my meaning."

[1] "To hell with that. You're a spy if I've ever seen one, and our orders with spies are clear. Either you come along with me and some of the high heads will have a little chat with you, or I kill you and throw your body in the Arendal. Your choice."

It would appear that the guards are not easily corruptible. You can still try to escape, although they'll be wary if you attempt a similar trick than last time; you can also come along and see if any other opportunities show themselves further along the road.

"Huh.  Well, if nothing else you're a credit to your profession.  I suppose I'd best let the high heads kill me instead."

Fust carries on, watching for opportunities to escape.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 30, 2012, 11:05:26 pm »

Walk the streets and alleys of stormstead looking for the street dwellers, If I find any give them a message

"If you seek a chance to raise yourself from this life then join me brother and together we will avenge the wrong we suffered on a world that abandoned us.

Also listen to what people say as I walk in case anybody has a job that needs doing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:09:05 pm by mesor »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 02, 2012, 04:49:23 am »

Reestablish order in the City by any means possible. Sent Regiments to crack down on the rioters, at first in a peaceful manner, but respond with violence should they refuse to disperse. Hang particular violent rioters and the leading figures should need be.

Meanwhile scour the city for mercenaries willing to hire themselves out.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 02, 2012, 04:28:38 pm »

Edgard put on his mail, donned a cloak and with a sword at his side, he rode to meet the prince. The archers and crossbows on the walls watched him carefully, just as the opponents on the other side did. They would sekwer prince with arrows if anything suspicious happened.

So secured the Regent rode up slowly to his counterpart. With light expresion on the face he begun speaking.

"Good day to you, my prince. We finally meet face to face, after all these difficult moves and decisions. May I start off by asking the obvious: Why raise your flag against me? Do you truly believe that I poisoned your brother. How much would I gain from his death if I would have to turn over the throne straight to you? Could have we not settled the matter in open council with all high nobles on it?"

Just as Parnoth requested, all of Edgard's brides/wives to be are sent on to Lorvese to be kept safe there. They cannot leave the country however.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 101