Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691190 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Whatever you do don't go to a for-profit college though, they on average cost several times more than state-sponsored colleges, and their education is often identical or worse than the one the state college offers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Does anyone know the source of this quote:

Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.

It sounds very much like it's from a movie, but it seems to have taken very well with the Marine Corps and appears all over the place now.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

Going to a state college that is ranked somewhere in the too five for engineering (or another one that's in the same ranking)
I'm going to try to do slightly cheaper dorms probably the ones where it's two bed rooms for four people, a living/dinning area, and a bathroom area.

The state program will pay for tuition and books (classes is what they told us but details say that) and then the other is a year and a half is paying for books, tuition, and basicaly anything school related.

I have not applied for scholarships yet and I have not taken my ACT yet though I probably should have
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Don't worry overmuch about the ACT, if you have basic critical thinking skills and understand how to take multiple choice tests, you'll do very well with little trouble. The science portion in particular is a joke -- I got a perfect score on it despite being very much a humanities guy because literally the entire thing is "See this data in the graph/table/whatever? Here is the name of the value we want you to find. Locate that value in the dataset." The multiple guess questions are all set up so that two answers will be blatantly wrong; just eliminate those and if you can't instantly pinpoint the correct option from the two remaining, make your best guess and move on. I took it hungover and with ~4 hours of sleep and walked out with a 32 composite, 'cause it's a fucking joke.

Definitely get on applying for scholarships as soon as you've got your finalized high school transcript, though, because many are heavily favorable for early applicants; some universities even offer a sort of first-come-first-served scholarship just for being accepted.

And yeah, four-man two-bedroom suites are actually (IMO) the best you can get; sharing a bathroom with three others is worlds better than sharing it with a floor, and it means you aren't living alone -- despite what your initial impression might be, living alone is actually a pretty bad thing even for a hardcore introvert (perhaps especially, even) unless the alternative is an absolute shitlord roommate.

--

If the state completely covers tuition and books for a big chunk of your time (lucky dog), your main concerns should be with maximizing the cost-efficiency of other things and looking for scholarships for the remaining time; a lot of those will often be department-specific things. After your first semester or two, if you don't have major responsibilities (band, [ugh] Greek life, &c.), consider looking for a job on-campus. They usually won't pay well, but you can end up with an extra $1000-1200 a semester for relatively light hours.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

State is paying as part of some sort of "you did good in highschool and you want to go to college so here ya go" kinda thing. It's relatively easy to get but you can only use in in state schools of said state. I'm not sure if it will work for the one I want to go to if not I can use it at the local college and most of my credits will transfer.

The two colleges I want to go to I can go to for resident costs because I could just move in with my Granpa at the other one.

The year and a half is a government thing from my father. ((PM if you want details but mom said not to talk about it all that much)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Hmm...
So, theoretically, if I wanted to ask about console-and-gaming-related advice, would I ask about it in Other Games or Life Advice?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Other Games.

We can help here, too.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

The thing I want to ask about isn't exactly small, though.
To Other Games I go, then. Wish me luck.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And yeah, four-man two-bedroom suites are actually (IMO) the best you can get; sharing a bathroom with three others is worlds better than sharing it with a floor, and it means you aren't living alone -- despite what your initial impression might be, living alone is actually a pretty bad thing even for a hardcore introvert (perhaps especially, even) unless the alternative is an absolute shitlord roommate.
If possible try to make some friends to go off-campus with (doubly so if your city has a half-descent bus system). Lots of times you can get better places for cheaper if you are willing to go off-campus (though you don't want to be right next to the college, since at that point the price is about the same, but it drops off pretty drastically as you add some distance).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IIRC no real bus system but I'll have a car.. I was planning on living on campus since it can get snowy during winter and I don't want to risk missing class if it's not canceled for weather

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IIRC no real bus system but I'll have a car.. I was planning on living on campus since it can get snowy during winter and I don't want to risk missing class if it's not canceled for weather
To be honest I find that in general the snowier the town gets the faster they tend to be about clearing the roads. Yeah, it can be sketchy, and yeah, it can be a bit scary at times; but learning how to drive in snowy weather (especially if you live in a place that gets a bunch of snow) is definitely a good skill to have. (Plus it gives you some fun horror stories to impress your new friends with, and something to laugh at the freshmen about). :P

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ya but I don't really want to lose $40-60 worth of classes because the roads are too sketchy ((I have 4cylinder mustang... It's not made for that sort of driving)).

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Cap (click to show/hide)

It appears to be zinc dust. Produced in Darmstadt, Germany. Two dates on the label are confusing me. What do they mean?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It appears to be zinc dust. Produced in Darmstadt, Germany. Two dates on the label are confusing me. What do they mean?
The label reads "Reagents of the German Pharmaceutical Book, 6th issue 1926, 3rd appendix 1959". So it probably has to do with the catalogue number in the standard German reference work for pharmaceutical drugs.
The company that produced the zinc dust, E. Merck based in Darmstadt, still exists.

Edit: It appears what I translated as "pharmaceutical book" is called "Pharmacopoeia" in English.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:30:50 pm by XXSockXX »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 638