Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686940 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3015 on: December 02, 2016, 01:06:06 pm »

Ouya, stylized OUYA, was a microconsole running on the Android operating system, developed by Ouya Inc. ... Development was funded via Kickstarter, raising $8.5 million and becoming the website's fifth-highest earning project in its history at the time.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: December 02, 2016, 05:33:31 pm »

I tried the Ouya at a friend's place, and the controllers were truly just awful.  I think it justified its existence purely through Towerfall though(which thankfully came to PC afterwards).
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: December 02, 2016, 08:47:38 pm »

What do you call a bromance between women? Do such things even exist?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: December 02, 2016, 08:49:34 pm »

Bromance between women are so normal in our society we don't really care.

With men who are meant to be SUPER DUPER No-homo dude-bros who can't show emotions... It is noticeable :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: December 02, 2016, 09:19:10 pm »

I don't think there's a specific word for the situation, but it's very common yeah.  I think they normally call each other "girlfriends", which is annoyingly ambiguous and gender-specific but eh :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: December 02, 2016, 10:32:00 pm »

GirlFRAAAAAaan.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: December 02, 2016, 11:07:13 pm »

Best friends. :P

GirlFRAAAAAaan.
But something like this works out too. :P
It's less into the word and more onto the meaning, hence why there's no 'really one way or word' to say it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: December 03, 2016, 03:34:43 am »

Ok here is a question

Victims of violent or sexual crime often require some level of companionship/watch (sorry bad term...) in order to recover especially during the immediate stages.

However, the popular belief is that people would prefer someone of the same-sex and that the sex of the person who harmed them is harmful. Afterall someone of the same sex can be more empathetic.

Yet in some cases the exact opposite is true. A woman who was abused might find the company of women (at least in the initial phases) to be extremely unpleasant (even if they were comfortable with it before) and find the presence of a man to be more soothing.

To state this is a switch in preference. A Man who prefers the company of men (Male friends, male doctors, male police officers) after being abused by a woman suddenly becomes extremely withdrawn from men and is soothed by the presence of other women.

Why is this psychologically? It cannot be JUST preference...

My best guess is that same-sex in these cases can sometimes feel judgmental (Empathy has a downside after all)... Or it could just be other traits in the opposite sex become more important (a woman's sympathy might feel more important then a man's at that moment) and the traits in the same sex become very troubling (A man's physical imposition).

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: December 03, 2016, 04:38:03 am »

[...]
Why is this psychologically? It cannot be JUST preference...[...]
That's because one's physical biological sex and perception (ie You seeing other people and noticing their secondary sex characteristics) is NOT the only variable in interacting with other people, or in your context, aversion behavior because of similarities. Primary importance goes to the person, and their context, especially their context, because this includes their local culture, what they're familiar with, how others approach them or communicate verbally or non-verbally [which covers the difference of same-sex/opposite-sex you're mentioning], alongside their own perception. It's really not a preference set inherently.

And that those 'traits' are very indistinct when applied to reality. :P You can't justly compare people based on their 'traits' if the baseline is biological sex.

Keynotes to Familiarity, and Context, underlying all those you mentioned in that post.

Does anyone know the term that describes this? I'll try to detail it in a personal story.

Before sleeping (as in you're still consciously awake but trying to sleep), I've been pretty aware of my thoughts, and this is the second time in my life where I've felt this sensation--like an ascending tone and power of 'voice' (thought) in mind, that while your eyes are closed and you being alone in the room, it feels louder and louder and you feel as if being compressed even if your blanket/covering isn't tight at all, and it takes conscious effort to 'break' from the thought. Afterwards, your mind is calmed, your thoughts aren't felt as distinctly controlling, but your feelings get translated into "not alone in your room, as if there's something else there". (even if you know there isn't any)

Felt it long ago as a first when I was around 7 or 8. My eyes were open, I was huddled on my bed, staring at a wall and an alphabet poster in thought, then I had that intensifying thought in mind and I felt in shock--broke off from it, then felt like there was someone right behind me. I didn't want to turn my back so I rolled against the wall after a very tense while and looked extremely vigilant as I searched the room for nobody.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:42:49 am by Tiruin »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: December 03, 2016, 08:29:30 pm »

Spoiler: Really dumb question (click to show/hide)
I used to pop my knuckles by pulling my fingers, but at some point I stopped, and then I couldn't anymore.  That was years ago, now I'm 30 and just wondering if it's supposed to still be possible.

I never did pop my neck, it just relieves tension to roll my head.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:33:51 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: December 03, 2016, 08:36:47 pm »

I don't think there's any particular method, and I know some people are just incapable of doing it because their joints don't form air bubbles large enough to crack.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: December 03, 2016, 08:46:10 pm »

I do it by using my thumb to grab the first segment of the relevant finger, and pull that down towards the palm.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: December 04, 2016, 04:54:43 am »

Spoiler: Really dumb question (click to show/hide)
I used to pop my knuckles by pulling my fingers, but at some point I stopped, and then I couldn't anymore.  That was years ago, now I'm 30 and just wondering if it's supposed to still be possible.

I never did pop my neck, it just relieves tension to roll my head.
I basically interlock my fingers and sorta try to bend them mutually backwards, if you get my drift. Like a movie bad guy would do before trying to beat the crap out of the hero, but a little less badass.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: December 04, 2016, 05:47:09 am »

I've never cracked my knuckles. :V

But that thing avis said is how it's done on tv or whatever
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: December 04, 2016, 06:09:51 am »

I sort of pull each finger back where it connects with a palm, popping them one by one. My fingers are a little crooked when straightened, so that movie way Avis described doesn't do it for me.

Although to pop a thumb I sort of tug it by curling four fingers around it. Don't know how to say it better.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:12:07 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 637