Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686948 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3270 on: January 19, 2017, 02:10:29 am »

Are Naps Normal?

Like is this something human beings did?

The only idea I have as to why naps are a natural part of the human experience is that you tend to get tired sometime in the afternoon when the days would be at its hottest (a period where people tended not to work a lot of the time.)

---

I am reminded when someone criticized me for always having a drink in my room and was like "What do you think people did before plastic bottles?" and I rolled my eyes and remembered that they tended to have a pitcher of water with a few classes or cups.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: January 19, 2017, 08:13:09 am »

Seems cultural, Spanish are famous for taking naps.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3272 on: January 19, 2017, 10:35:10 am »

Are Naps Normal?

The only idea I have as to why naps are a natural part of the human experience is that you tend to get tired sometime in the afternoon when the days would be at its hottest (a period where people tended not to work a lot of the time.)

---

I am reminded when someone criticized me for always having a drink in my room and was like "What do you think people did before plastic bottles?" and I rolled my eyes and remembered that they tended to have a pitcher of water with a few classes or cups.
A long time ago, people used to sleep when they were tired or couldn't do anything useful (pre-electric lighting people just couldn't do most kinds of work at night), not when you were expected to culturally.

Yeah, people think the early humans of 4,000 years ago were fucking morons or something, and that if they wanted to carry water that they wouldn't figure out some way of doing that. It's a given that some traditions were important, but there are lots that weren't, so what does what people did back then have anything to do with what I'm doing now? People play this card when they don't have any actually good reason to tell you to stop doing something.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: January 19, 2017, 10:37:13 am »

Half-asleep right now, but I vaguely remember reading that in medieval times (I think?) it was the norm to actually sleep in two shifts, with a period of chillaxed wakefulness in between. Not sure how true that actually was, not even entirely sure where I read it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: January 19, 2017, 11:40:44 am »

Half-asleep right now, but I vaguely remember reading that in medieval times (I think?) it was the norm to actually sleep in two shifts, with a period of chillaxed wakefulness in between. Not sure how true that actually was, not even entirely sure where I read it.
This is kind of misleading because to many people it implies a break around like midnight or something similar. In reality the evidence points much more towards a system like what is currently present in Spain's siestas; a couple hour nap around noon, followed by having slightly less sleep during the night.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: January 19, 2017, 12:51:40 pm »

I've heard the idea that the break around midnight makes sense, as it encourages managing the fire and having someone up to look for danger.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: January 19, 2017, 09:44:22 pm »

Ok sometimes this happens but when I full screen on youtube I can still see my task bar at the bottom...

It only seems to fix when I reset... is there another way?

Having this problem (suddenly)

Change the taskbar's location, then change it back. That will fix it.

(Right click on taskbar, Settings, Taskbar Location on Screen)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: January 20, 2017, 04:48:49 am »

Are Naps Normal?

---

Actually, to my understanding, the hottest period of the day was when we went hunting.

Compared to most animals we have superior heat regulation thanks to our hairless body (I know it's not technically hairless) and sweating. As a result, we'd do some short term persistence hunting where we'd chase something down until it collapsed of heat exhaustion.

Depends where you live, we migrated to pretty much all biomes tens of thousands of years ago.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: January 20, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »

This might be a bit big for this thread, but I'm having some trouble finding the rest of a series of 12 handscrolls titled "The Qianlong Emperor's Southern Inspection Tour." The Met in New York has scrolls 4 and 6 and that's easy to find, but though it mentions that all of them are intact and accounted for those and scroll 7 are the only ones I can actually find pictures of. Are they collected together someplace that I'm just not seeing?
Assuming you're still looking, 1, 3, 8, & 10. Scroll 2 (if the link bugs out, it's the mactaggart art collection; search it for southern inspection tour scroll two). Doesn't look like a full capture of scroll 12 is online, but you can see a chunk of it here, as well in a number of other places. As for 5, 9, and 11... if they're online at all, I'd wager fairly safely the sites holding them either just aren't in english, or they're under some other name. Pretty bloody sure there's no singular english collection of the things, regardless. Junk's scattered around and some tucked into odd places.

That aside, they've all got, like... subtitles ("return to the palace" for scroll 12, ferex), that I didn't really notice a short list of in passing, so you might try hunting those down for the missing/incomplete ones and searching for that, instead. Alternately, if you can track someone down that can pass you the original language titles of the things, hunting those down might dig something up.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:01:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: January 20, 2017, 08:24:58 pm »

This might be a bit big for this thread, but I'm having some trouble finding the rest of a series of 12 handscrolls titled "The Qianlong Emperor's Southern Inspection Tour." The Met in New York has scrolls 4 and 6 and that's easy to find, but though it mentions that all of them are intact and accounted for those and scroll 7 are the only ones I can actually find pictures of. Are they collected together someplace that I'm just not seeing?
Assuming you're still looking, 1, 3, 8, & 10. Scroll 2 (if the link bugs out, it's the mactaggart art collection; search it for southern inspection tour scroll two). Doesn't look like a full capture of scroll 12 is online, but you can see a chunk of it here, as well in a number of other places. As for 5, 9, and 11... if they're online at all, I'd wager fairly safely the sites holding them either just aren't in english, or they're under some other name. Pretty bloody sure there's no singular english collection of the things, regardless. Junk's scattered around and some tucked into odd places.

That aside, they've all got, like... subtitles ("return to the palace" for scroll 12, ferex), that I didn't really notice a short list of in passing, so you might try hunting those down for the missing/incomplete ones and searching for that, instead. Alternately, if you can track someone down that can pass you the original language titles of the things, hunting those down might dig something up.

That is excellent, thank you!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: January 21, 2017, 01:10:36 am »

Let me ask this important question

What should you do if you realize that you REALLY are a alcoholic... before you are an alcoholic?

Like you crave the effect of alcohol constantly and only feel whole while under its effects.

Please be realistic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: January 21, 2017, 01:12:57 am »

That would seem to indicate that you're an alcoholic. It's a learned chemical dependency, not inherent nature, despite what doctrine AA espouses.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: January 21, 2017, 01:25:35 am »

That would seem to indicate that you're an alcoholic. It's a learned chemical dependency, not inherent nature, despite what doctrine AA espouses.

Well it sort of depends. Genetic predisposition and fetal alcohol syndrome both outright predispose you. (Fetal alcohol syndrome actually is rather tragic by description.)

Even tests on bees suggests that alcoholism is more... by chance (genetics) then anything else.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: January 21, 2017, 01:26:53 am »

Predisposition isn't inherent nature, it's predisposition. The conflation of the two is false.

And fetal alcohol exposure would also be considered a form of learned dependency, not true predisposition.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: January 21, 2017, 01:30:14 am »

You should either make a clear set of rules on how you're going to drink, or decide that you won't drink at all. Limit yourself, pace yourself, drink water, wait a little while before driving, drink in safe places, etc.
Uh, I'm not an expert. This is just what I think is a good idea.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 637