Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686938 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3345 on: February 11, 2017, 09:45:22 pm »

What would be a good motivation for Ultron? I'm struggling to think of something that would be genuinely tempting to a AI in the marvel universe. No, you can't say the mind stone.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: February 11, 2017, 10:21:30 pm »

What would be a good motivation for Ultron? I'm struggling to think of something that would be genuinely tempting to a AI in the marvel universe. No, you can't say the mind stone.
I mean... which version of ultron? The oedipus complex one that was apparently the original would have plenty in the marvel universe to tempt someone, ferex. Wasp clones and who knows what else. Could always have someone else mindjack the bot, too.

Though part of the problem vis a vis motivation is that, checking a bit, at least a good chunk of ultron's showings has the AI as more or less insane. You don't really need a good motivation for that sort of character setup, exactly. Something rather off might even be more appropriate. Sky's kinda' the limit, and probably depends most on what sort of use the particular writer is intending to put ultron to.

Basically, thought I'd have is, instead of looking for its motivation, figure out what role it is to play, and then find a motivation that fits that role. Turn things around, more or less.

Yo, where my German speakers at?! Is "Scheißziegel" an actual word? Can I use it and make sense?
You could probably use it in english and make some degree of sense. Brick shitting is a turn of phrase that exists.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: February 11, 2017, 10:46:46 pm »

Basically, thought I'd have is, instead of looking for its motivation, figure out what role it is to play, and then find a motivation that fits that role. Turn things around, more or less.

They did that, and that's how we got a shitty destroy all humans plot. Ultron needs to be a bit crazy to stay true to the character, but i want a genuinely smart plan and goal.

I've written a little here about how the plan could shake out - a series of character building fakeouts distracting from the master plan - but i don't know what he'd want. The mind stone is a given, so there needs to be a twist. My thoughts are:

• It should have a emotional connection to Tony
  • It should be a relateable, surprisingly simple goal on some level.

"Can't buy me love" maybe? This could all be a (crazy) demonstration to show how powerful he is to Scarlet Witch, and that's he truly understands how eye-achingly potent she is? You've got a nice little parallel with the powerful brain vs the emotional witch. Trouble is, that undercuts Thanos's arc which
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reading a thinner book

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: February 11, 2017, 10:53:52 pm »

I think you've got Ultron pegged a bit wrong. He thinks humans are inevitably going to destroy themselves (and Vision actually agrees with that part), and so decides to "manage" our extinction to ensure he survives. That's his motive.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: February 11, 2017, 11:09:49 pm »

Why not just leave the planet?
Reading a thinner book

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: February 11, 2017, 11:14:35 pm »

It's the marvel verse, yeah. Would that really be much of a reassurance?
Ask not!
Ask!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: February 12, 2017, 06:40:12 am »

This StackExchange post seems to have the most informative answers. Basically, you can set logon hours using command prompt, but it won't log you out if you're already logged in when the restricted hours come around. The third-party stuff listed costs money, there might be a free solution out there somewhere but I wasn't able to find one.

What I'd do is write a Python script or something that runs as soon as you log on, checks the time on some interval, and if it's during restricted hours immediately log you off or shutdown the entire computer. Of course if you mess it up it'd be a pain in the ass to remove, but it's kind of a weird thing to be doing anyway. I honestly don't remember if I've ever seen you in the programming thread but here's a relevant StackOverflow post, or sometime tomorrow I'd be willing to try writing something if you don't mind trusting anything I write.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: February 12, 2017, 08:20:08 am »

I'm on vista so it's entirely possible it's changed, but it... should be pretty trivial to schedule a task that shuts down the computer at a certain time, too? Does win 10 no longer have the task scheduler or somethin'? Would be in admin tools unless MS hid it for whatever reason, if it's still there. Wouldn't make it impossible to log on, per se, but it should kick you out easily enough and you could always set up a few dozen if you think just once isn't enough, or pair it with that login bit mentioned so you can't get back on.

Though yeah, actually checking it does look like it would need some kind of shut down script/program to work with that. Still, you would probably be able to use something a lot simpler/less likely to cause problems if you offloaded the time check and whatnot to windows' own thing.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: February 12, 2017, 12:58:27 pm »

Is there any leg to stand on against the Chinese eating dogs and cats?

It honestly feels more like: "Hey, we like dogs! don't eat dogs!"

I mean there are SOME animals that are a bit too intelligent for me to want people to eat them...

But dogs and cats are far away from that... Heck Pigs are closer to "Too intelligent" than dogs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: February 12, 2017, 01:57:58 pm »

That's honestly a good question.  I think there are two different issues:  Eating, versus raising as food. 
But I guess I'm weirdly elven about the first thing.

Personally, I'd be uncomfortable eating a dog or cat I didn't know.
But that's mostly because I've met a lot of dogs and cats, and they were clearly intelligent.  Eating one I'd never met would feel disrespectful.  The few pigs I've seen in person were... lazy.  Cows, too.  They just kinda lay or stand there, and maybe eat if food is nearby.  They don't really respond like a dog or cat does.

Horses do respond, so that puts them with dogs and cats for me.

(I didn't actually eat my cat, but she was very sick.  A large, inoperable growth.  I visit her cairn instead.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: February 12, 2017, 02:12:51 pm »

Eh... there actually is argument against 'em for raising for food (which is actually kinda' what's needed to make dog, at the least, particularly palatable, from what I understand), for what it's worth. Carnivores just don't make particularly good livestock by sheer dint of biology. Much better off energy conversion wise with something that can be (healthily) fed primarily with plants. Stuff that just eats more or less anything is pretty decent, too. Part of the reason pork and chicken tend to hover around the less expensive side of meat products, that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:15:46 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: February 12, 2017, 04:16:23 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to eat dog... I am not exactly against banning dog meat in the home market.

But it seems like there is a LOT of moralizing against China eating them... when so far it seems cultural.

Heck I still remember Bob's Burgers and its moralizing against Horse meat O_o... In spite it being quite normal in America (just... not well known which meats have horse in them :P)... Though Bob's Burgers does seem to actually make a strong case FOR eating Horse meat... what with its lower price and higher quality/taste... Which might have been part of the joke.

Eh... there actually is argument against 'em for raising for food (which is actually kinda' what's needed to make dog, at the least, particularly palatable, from what I understand), for what it's worth. Carnivores just don't make particularly good livestock by sheer dint of biology. Much better off energy conversion wise with something that can be (healthily) fed primarily with plants. Stuff that just eats more or less anything is pretty decent, too. Part of the reason pork and chicken tend to hover around the less expensive side of meat products, that.

To admit though Dogs aren't Carnivores... MOSTLY... though as someone said "They are barely omnivores"

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: February 12, 2017, 05:24:15 pm »

Horse meat is extremely popular in Central Asia and parts of South America, and Wikipedia tells me it can be found without too much difficulty in Europe because of its role in some historical dishes but isn't generally sought after.

Dogs and cats make terrible livestock because they're carnivores though, and by all reports I can see even well-prepared cat meat is pretty well below par. The only historical culture I know of that kept dogs exclusively for eating were the Aztecs, but that tradition is thoroughly dead due to Spanish suppression of it and killing off all of the breeds meant for eating.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: February 12, 2017, 06:47:45 pm »

Horse meat is extremely popular in Central Asia and parts of South America, and Wikipedia tells me it can be found without too much difficulty in Europe because of its role in some historical dishes but isn't generally sought after.

It's not exactly common, but not rare either in Belgium. You can find it in about half the supermarket. Horwe meat is nice, it's like tastier beef.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 637