Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686872 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6465 on: November 15, 2020, 10:30:14 pm »

Random Question: Why are napkins called napkins?
Google’s answer, nappe=Old French for tablecloth + map (English) + kin (English)

Etymology? Nappe is Old French for tablecloth as stated. The link to English was originally the French-speaking aristocracy of England post the 1066 conquest. See the pattern of Cow / Beef, Sheep / Mutton, Pig / Pork. The word for production is Saxon, the word for consumption is French/Norman, which outlines how the class structure worked post conquest. This is a common pattern in conquered or colonized cultures, with words related to consumption and rulership/governance in English being of French origin compared to words related to commoners/production being Saxon.

"kin" also denotes a diminutive quality, so nap-"kin" might have denoted that they're smaller cloths used at the table, rather than the full tablecloth, the "nappe". A bit about the addition of "kin" to words, which is from German:

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2016/07/kin.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:35:51 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: November 15, 2020, 10:34:36 pm »

Thanks, when I saw the work kin it made me think kin=family, which was confusing

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: November 16, 2020, 12:47:49 am »

Is it strange that I want to be referred to with they/them pronouns despite the fact that nominally I identify as male?

Whenever I'm referred to with he/him, I have to dig up the gender file (a very slow process) and read off of it to confirm that I'm apparently a man. It's not a problem of me being fundamentally uncomfortable with he/him pronouns, it's that I don't enjoy having to load that thing into memory from wherever it's stored. My own gender's so unimportant to me that it's been shoved to the lowest rung of the memory hierarchy, and as such has the highest access time.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: November 16, 2020, 01:04:04 am »

But the grammarians positively *HATE* it when you use They/them in that manner!!

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/06/744121321/even-a-grammar-geezer-like-me-can-get-used-to-gender-neutral-pronouns

It makes their (heheh) tight little assholes pucker up like a baby eating a lemon just THINKING about how it is not only genderless, AND indefinite in its plurality, but also just does not care that it makes them sad pandas.  That people have persistently used it for 150+ years just makes them even saltier.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: November 16, 2020, 01:28:59 am »

I only learned that a single person can be referred to as they/them via Undertale, after which I looked it up and realized that yes them can be used singularly

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: November 16, 2020, 01:32:43 am »

But the grammarians positively *HATE* it when you use They/them in that manner!!
Those grammarians can go and -- pardon my French -- fuck themselves. If they're not going to update their language to follow new standards, then they should clearly be using a Pentium 4, an Nvidia FX 6800 Ultra and Windows XP as a daily driver. The old standards are just as good, right?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: November 16, 2020, 03:11:38 am »

I use it when I don't know someone's gender because "he/she" is clunky (also intersex people). I don't care what "grammar experts" say. English is a living language, we aren't speaking Latin or something. There must be no regulation-- let the speakers of said languae regulate it themselves.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: November 16, 2020, 07:21:12 am »

My butt don't pucker up at the use of gender neutral pronoms in Swedish but it grates me very much when people use the made up jippo word "hen/henom" instead of the several ways one could use already existing gender neuteal pronoms "en/den/dem".
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: November 16, 2020, 10:42:02 am »

For some reason your post made me think of when people say “it grinds my gears when [thing happens]”
People don’t have gears, at least they normally shouldn’t. I know what the expression means, it seems to be another way of saying the person’s mad...however if a robot running on gears had their gears grinder, wouldn’t that drive them to a halt in whatever part said ground gear(s) are found?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: November 16, 2020, 10:52:30 am »

You should've seen the funny noises my old car made.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: November 16, 2020, 08:15:35 pm »

I don't want to be pushy or anything, but I still wanna know if it's weird that I want to be addressed as they/them despite nominally identifying as male (my reasons are on the previous page). It's something I'm still racking my brains over.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: November 16, 2020, 08:17:51 pm »

I don't want to be pushy or anything, but I still wanna know if it's weird that I want to be addressed as they/them despite nominally identifying as male (my reasons are on the previous page). It's something I'm still racking my brains over.
I don’t think it’s weird. If you prefer being called they/them, we’ll call you they/them

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: November 16, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »

no
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6478 on: November 17, 2020, 01:13:50 am »

It's probably weird in the sense of being unusual, but not in the sense of being bad. I've long held a related stance that I don't actually really cars what pronouns people refer to me with, because it doesn't matter much to me. I can understand extending that to preferring not to have to think about it at all.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: November 17, 2020, 01:28:02 am »

Those grammarians can go and -- pardon my French -- fuck themselves. If they're not going to update their language to follow new standards, then they should clearly be using a Pentium 4, an Nvidia FX 6800 Ultra and Windows XP as a daily driver. The old standards are just as good, right?

Singular they goes back hundreds of years, much longer than the prescriptivist grammarians have been around.

You know what is actually broken? Singular you. "Thou" originally meant one person vs "You" for groups of people. Hence why "y'all" was invented - it fills the semantic gap left by merging the singular and plural forms of You.

So "You" is broken. The argument against singular they is that it's 'they are". But ... we also have you are, which is in fact a quirk left over from the plural you, so there's really no consistent basis for the anti-They thing.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:30:25 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 637